Potential Name Change? Food for Thought

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Potential Name Change? Food for Thought

Postby Free Candy on Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:45 pm

Everyone knows the Penguins were named as they were due to the curious school of emperor penguins discovered to be living in a gully in Millvale in the late 1940s. Unfortunately, as we all know too well, global warming has since wiped out nearly all of our beloved flightless birds. Now, if that is not a chilling omen for the future of this team, I don’t know what is.

Folks, times change. ‘Tis a season for everything. When history looks back on us with its scrutinous eye, do we want it to see us as the cowards that held on, more out of fear then out of love, to mascots and logos which had grown obsolete before our eyes?

IBM Watson is changing the world as we know it. The brave scientists and engineers behind the project have envisioned and are now putting into place the most cutting edge technology humankind has ever seen. We are on the cusp of Salvation now, if we ever were, praise be to Tech.

Ergo, with Pittsburgh having become the tech hub that it has, it makes the most sense, philosophically, aesthetically and yes, religiously, that the Pittsburgh Penguins now become, the Pittsburgh Hockey Team brought to you by IBM Watson, changing the world, saving humanity, one algorithm at a time.

Plebeians will react against this, they have throughout history. But we have the opportunity here to do something truly unprecedented. What say ye?
Free Candy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Potential Name Change? Food for Thought

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:38 pm

No
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:56 pm

Bad troll is bad.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby djlm on Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:48 pm

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
djlm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BigMcK on Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:29 am

Sometimes you wanna start HIGH,
Sometimes you gotta start low...

I got news for you, wherever you are, only you will ever know...
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby Weegie on Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:12 am

No way......
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:23 am

BigMcK wrote:Sometimes you wanna start HIGH...

I thought I knew where you were going with this, but I'm not sure you ever quite got there. You started high, and then you just kept puffing. ;)

I'll bite though... Pittsburgh Algorithms? Pittsburgh Watsons?
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:11 am

I though he was referring to changing from Free Candy. Who wants to be reminded of Orpik?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:57 pm

When you are suggesting name changes and your name is Free Candy... need I say more, sure future generations might scoff at our Penguins name IF Penguins were endangered. Lets look at the unfortunate people who live with hidden emotional scars and might truly be offended at a name like Free Candy.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:22 pm

The Washington Football Team is already 50% ahead of us on this groundbreaking idea.

Not sure of the seriousness or angle on this but, I don't see it happening. Only way I think teams would ever change nicknames would be if that team was notoriously bad for years and wanted to get a fresh start...you know, like the Flyers. :lol:

With the history of this team, 5 Cups and counting, one of the dominate teams in the league from 2008 onwards...not a chance. Even when the 87/71 era ends, there is too much history and success tied to the name to change it.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby stonewizard51 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:10 pm

No Effing Way !! :thumbdown:
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:47 pm

How about NO?!!!!
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fast B on Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:19 pm

Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RentedMule66 on Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:42 pm

Ye says this is the most bizarre thread ever on this board and that's really saying something.
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:58 pm

RentedMule66 wrote:Ye says this is the most bizarre thread ever on this board and that's really saying something.

More bizarre than Rechi’s rug?
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:57 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
RentedMule66 wrote:Ye says this is the most bizarre thread ever on this board and that's really saying something.

I believe you are referring to Racchi's rug?
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:58 pm

Sigwolf wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:

I believe you are referring to Racchi's rug?

LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:03 pm

Everyone knows the Penguins were named as they were due to the curious school of emperor penguins discovered to be living in a gully in Millvale in the late 1940s. ( the team was named by Jack Rielys wife Unfortunately, as we all know too well, global warming has since wiped out nearly all of our beloved flightless birds.Penguins numbers have rebounded since the early 90s now where near endangered Now, if that is not a chilling omen for the future of this team, I don’t know what is.

Folks, times change. ‘Tis a season for everything. When history looks back on us with its scrutinous eye, do we want it to see us as the cowards that held on, more out of fear then out of love, to mascots and logos which had grown obsolete before our eyes?don't even know where to go with this

IBM Watson is changing the world as we know it.A new business AI by the IBM corp not sure how it imacts the Penguins name The brave scientists and engineers behind the project have envisioned and are now putting into place the most cutting edge technology humankind has ever seen Inovative for business number crunching business. We are on the cusp of Salvation now, if we ever were, praise be to Tech.

Ergo, with Pittsburgh having become the tech hub that it has, it makes the most sense, philosophically, aesthetically and yes, religiously, that the Pittsburgh Penguins now become, the Pittsburgh Hockey Team brought to you by IBM Watson, changing the world, saving humanity, one algorithm at a time.

Plebeians i had to search it, commoners, one of the lower social class will react against this, they have throughout history. But we have the opportunity here to do something truly unprecedented. What say ye?ye say nay

this is one of the best trolls post we have seen on this board.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins