Official Game Thread - 11/6 - Penguins vs. Ducks - 10:00pm

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Postby The U on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:38 am

yeltzen wrote:If yinz are going to blame the refs, I strongly suggest taking a look at... um, shots... um, time in the attacking zone at even strength... etc, etc.

Blaming the refs for a loss and being upset with the refs for not "evening things out a bit" when given the opportunity are 2 different things. Pens didnt deserve to win the game...they did nothing to deserve 2pts. But to award the Ducks 9 powerplays and give us 2 is insane....considering there were 2 or 3 iffy calls and 2 or 3 calls the Pens could have/should have had go their way.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NIN on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:38 am

It breaks my heart to think that the Pens wont get to play against Pronger and Neidermeyer for 2 or 3 years.
NIN

Postby schreibdog on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:39 am

Wow, Thibault doesn't even get a star...
#1 Scott Niedermayer
#2 Dustin Penner
#3 Teemu Selanne
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BigNastyZ on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:39 am

NIN wrote:It breaks my heart to think that the Pens wont get to play against Pronger and Neidermeyer for 2 or 3 years.

Preach the word brother.
BigNastyZ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ville5 on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:39 am

BigNastyZ wrote:welch.... again... this is really getting old.

?, 2 of the calls were total BS.
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sams_Dog on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:39 am

Has anyone noticed how much yeltsin's attitude and statements resemble Mark Madden's?
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby arizonahotrock on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:39 am

Let's look at the positives here, despite the refs/linesmen calling a questionable (at best) game and the pens being outshot by 81 they still came away with a point. While not happy that the Pens lost, I can be happy looking at it that way...
arizonahotrock

Postby NIN on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:39 am

Erray said, "Suck on this you lame Duck mother ****." and then he dropped his drawers!
NIN

Postby BigNastyZ on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:40 am

i didnt mean welch taking the penalty as being old, the fact that he got jobbed on another bs call was getting old.
BigNastyZ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby yeltzen on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:40 am

The U wrote:
yeltzen wrote:If yinz are going to blame the refs, I strongly suggest taking a look at... um, shots... um, time in the attacking zone at even strength... etc, etc.

Blaming the refs for a loss and being upset with the refs for not "evening things out a bit" when given the opportunity are 2 different things. Pens didnt deserve to win the game...they did nothing to deserve 2pts. But to award the Ducks 9 powerplays and give us 2 is insane....considering there were 2 or 3 iffy calls and 2 or 3 calls the Pens could have/should have had go their way.

My point is that the Pens got spanked at even strength. When that happens, you're going to get called for a lot of penalties. And, they did.
yeltzen

Postby Donald Fagen on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:40 am

BigNastyZ wrote:What a surprise... third star goes to Greg Louganis... i mean Teemu Selanne.
u mean greg lou- gay- nis?
Donald Fagen

Postby DelPen on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:40 am

NIN wrote:It breaks my heart to think that the Pens wont get to play against Pronger and Neidermeyer for 2 or 3 years.

Unless of course Pronger's wife takes his nuts away again and tells him he has to go to another team.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NIN on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:40 am

Sams_Dog wrote:Has anyone noticed how much yeltsin's attitude and statements resemble Mark Madden's?

you mean like 40-50% of the Mf'rs that post?
NIN

Postby Shinoix on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:40 am

Melichar was great tonight. He's been great all season...please Ryan Whitney, emulate Joe in our end. Hell , emulate Scuderi in our end!

Actually Ryan didn't play all that bad tonight. No real boneheaded plays except for the last one where he wasn't preventing anything at all, just helping them score the goal.

Colby played a great game tonight and had a look on the top line. When he was on the top line, they cycled the puck and held it. Put him back MT!!

Staal set up a few chances at the end, but was generally pretty quiet. I can't wait until he outgrows his bit of awkwardness.

Malkin was less than spectacular tonight. He had some pretty ugly turnovers.

and props to Brooks for jumping right in like he hasn't lost a step.
Shinoix

Postby PittPensFan on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:41 am

I'm glad we don't have to play these guys for a while. Good trip, boys, 5 out of 8 points in two houses of horrors (Philly and LA) and in the arenas of two of the best teams in the NHL. Come out strong for Mario on Wednesday against TB!
PittPensFan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby psubar12 on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:41 am

The Pens had to play the Ducks and the refs tonight, and still came out with a point. I'm really proud of this team and their performance tonight, especially Thibault. As well as I thought the refs did on Saturday, the refs did 180 degrees worse tonight. The league really needs to get the consistency in the reffing that they had last year. It's really disappointing too, because I thought this game could have been much more enjoyable to watch had it been officiated correctly.
psubar12

Postby BigNastyZ on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:42 am

Donald Fagen wrote:
BigNastyZ wrote:What a surprise... third star goes to Greg Louganis... i mean Teemu Selanne.
u mean greg lou- gay- nis?

Tremendous.
BigNastyZ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:42 am

Shinoix wrote:Actually Ryan didn't play all that bad tonight. No real boneheaded plays except for the last one where he wasn't preventing anything at all, just helping them score the goal.

Maybe, but shouldn't Whitny be held to a higher standard than simply not being bad? He should have some good plays every game and I'm struggling to think of even once where I yelled at the TV in his support for a good keep, hit, clear, pass or shot.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:42 am

I don't have that big of a problem with the officials. I thought the OT call on Welch was wrong, but at full speed I can see why it was made. It is kind of tough that Anaheim scored on that one and one the penalty Moore took, even though the Duck he fouled should have been rung up for a dive too.

To play Devils Advocate, I offer up two questions:

1: If that had been Crosby on Pronger in OT and it wasn't called, would this board have been up in arms? I expect it would.

2: If you are upset about the disparity in the number of calls, does that mean you think PP chances should be even at the end of a game?

The Pens took a point out of Anaheim and to be honest, they probably shouldn't have because of all the penalties they took. Thibault stole them a point.

It was a good road trip. Come on home and get ready for Tampa on Wednesday. That game is a bit of a question mark and Tampa has been up and down all year long.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby passmaster16 on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:43 am

Kicksave wrote:Way to follow up the Pens game with F'n Cowher.

I usually ***** at people who ***** at this but this is ri GD diculous.

What do you think this is Pittsburgh Sports Tonight Penguins Edition?
passmaster16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:43 am

Even though the Pens lost the last two games, they've reaffirmed my belief that they're going to the playoffs as long as they keep the stars healthy. Despite getting outplayed by better teams, they hung in there against two of the top teams in the NHL and stole a point in a process. On the road, no less. Five points on that road trip is a great result, all things considered.

Thibault deserves a lot of respect for this one. I kind of figured he'd have a great game after everyone here was whining and crying because he was playing. This was important because now we know we can depend on Thibault when Fleury needs some time on the bench.

Entertaining game and a satisifying point.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby yeltzen on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:43 am

My opinions on Melichar and Whitney are pretty much whatever I've heard from Madden.
yeltzen

Postby Shinoix on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:43 am

Oh and props to our PK!! Wow, it was great tonight.

Seriously, we shouldn't have even been in this game because of the PP chances, but the PK'rs stepped up huge. They along with Thibault are the stars of the game.

Seriously, look at the penalties they killed off. GREAT job.

Am I mad at the refs? Hell yeah, but I can't complain that much. Our sieve of a goalie gave us a chance to win. We killed off a ton of penalties. We played against the best team in the league. We played against possibly the two best defensemen in the league...

and oh yeah, we took a point...
Shinoix

Postby NIN on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:44 am

DelPen wrote:

Unless of course Pronger's wife takes his nuts away again and tells him he has to go to another team.

She can drop his nads off here in Pittsburgh! Wait...that did'nt come out right...
NIN

Postby DelPen on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:44 am

netwolf wrote:I don't have that big of a problem with the officials. I thought the OT call on Welch was wrong, but at full speed I can see why it was made. It is kind of tough that Anaheim scored on that one and one the penalty Moore took, even though the Duck he fouled should have been rung up for a dive too.

To play Devils Advocate, I offer up two questions:

1: If that had been Crosby on Pronger in OT and it wasn't called, would this board have been up in arms? I expect it would.

2: If you are upset about the disparity in the number of calls, does that mean you think PP chances should be even at the end of a game?

The Pens took a point out of Anaheim and to be honest, they probably shouldn't have because of all the penalties they took. Thibault stole them a point.

It was a good road trip. Come on home and get ready for Tampa on Wednesday. That game is a bit of a question mark and Tampa has been up and down all year long.

If Crosby dove and it wasn't called then oh well, Selamme took a dive though.

PP's don't have to be even, it should have been about 5-2 in calls but 10-2 is ridiculous.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins