Official Game Thread - 11/6 - Penguins vs. Ducks - 10:00pm

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby yeltzen on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:33 am

Oh Lord, are we really going to be complaining about calls tonight? The Pens can't stop the Ducks from forechecking and have to take penalties because they're getting tired. If you don't want to be on the PK all night, beat someone to a friggin' puck.
yeltzen

Postby NIN on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:33 am

Xgen wrote:
NIN wrote:
yeltzen wrote:Are yinz seriously calling that a dive?
I personally think that a player willingly turning to the boards should be exempt from a boarding call, but that was boarding as it is.

I dont have a problem with any of the calls so far.

that last moore call was TICKY TAK...you have to admit that...

Moore pleaded his case but the infraction had already taken place. It's been called ALL YEAR LONG in EVERY game I have watched no matter who is playing. They can't wrap guys up like that anymore and every smart player is going to drop the arm to catch it allittle to make sure the ref sees it. If the guy didnt drop his arm maybe it would have been quick enough where he got away with it but he STILL DID IT. It was the right call, not ticky takky.
NIN

Postby Jesse on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:33 am

A recap of the 2nd:

1. The Penguins are obviously making it a point to clear the puck right to the Ducks.

2. The Penguins are really doing a great job of passing the puck right to the ducks.

3. The Penguins are doing a great job of not picking their heads up and making the patient play.

4. The Penguins are doing a great job of passing up shooting opportunities for nice fancy pants passes that don't connect.

Wow. Like, I still have hope for this game, but it's going to take a complete turnaround.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:34 am

DelPen wrote:Whitney did a great job killing that penalty. Unfortunately it was the Ducks penalty .

I really have no idea what he was thinking there. At all.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:34 am

Stoosh wrote:I'm not saying O'Brien took a dive on that play. I'm just wondering why he wouldn't just continue around the boards when he knows Thorburn is on his back coming around that corner. Thorburn was doing everything he was supposed to be doing, and for whatever reason, O'Brien just decided to stop as if he was going to head back to the middle of the ice.

He was thinking that Thorburn was coming fast after him so he'd throw on the brakes and reverse direction. I don't think he realized Thorburn was that close to him. Losing and edge probably wasn't part of the plan either.

Continuing forward or chipping it out would have been the smart play, O'Brien is a 23 year old rookie.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eberhard on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:35 am

yeltzen wrote:LOLOLOLOL @ our power play.

...and yeltzen fiddled as it burned.
eberhard
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:35 am

he drew a penalty didnt' he???

He did. But he also put himself in position to suffer a pretty significant injury.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BigNastyZ on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:36 am

Just a sidenote: fleury attempting to say the FSN commercial for penguins fans first made me double over in laughter.
BigNastyZ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Xgen on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:36 am

NIN wrote:
Xgen wrote:
NIN wrote:
I personally think that a player willingly turning to the boards should be exempt from a boarding call, but that was boarding as it is.

Moore pleaded his case but the infraction had already taken place. It's been called ALL YEAR LONG in EVERY game I have watched no matter who is playing. They can't wrap guys up like that anymore and every smart player is going to drop the arm to catch it allittle to make sure the ref sees it. If the guy didnt drop his arm maybe it would have been quick enough where he got away with it but he STILL DID IT. It was the right call, not ticky takky.

So once the stick is in there...and the opposing player holds onto the stick to make it look more dramatic what is a player to do, just skate just straight to the box?
Xgen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:36 am

NIN wrote:
Xgen wrote:
NIN wrote:

Only problem was he didn't do anyting. Ducks grabbed his stick and when Moore went to pull it out the guy fell, this was even more blatant than Welch's hook.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby schreibdog on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:36 am

yeltzen wrote:
ziggo wrote:Whitney was way out of position on that goal

Actually, he wasn't. Whitney blows, but Therrien switched to a diamond because the Ducks were embarrassing us on the PP. Whitney was in position for the diamond.

Right, and not only that, it looked like the Ducks were employing a player on each post for a rebound. Whitney can only go after one guy. Not much time for him to know where the rebound is going and to cover that guy. The Ducks are doing the right thing on the PP. They know Thibault is going to give up the rebounds so if they get two or three guys near the net for rebounds and let Pronger and Niedermayer put the puck to the net, they'll get their share of goals.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Xgen on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:37 am

Stoosh wrote:
he drew a penalty didnt' he???

He did. But he also put himself in position to suffer a pretty significant injury.

Point well taken there...i really think he thought he was beat to the edge and he was going to lose the puck...
Last edited by Xgen on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xgen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NIN on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:37 am

They are just young and out of controll. :lol: They are fired up and playing hard but they are just doing just alittle too much and they are getting whistled.

NO more penalties and they should be fine. They need to just gain controll. It's tough when you are a part of the team that has something to PROVE but the coach has to settle them down alittle.

Stick to the system, don't let your emotions take you too far out of position. Keep up the agression but DON'T GET CARRIED AWAY.
NIN

Postby yeltzen on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:37 am

netwolf wrote:He was thinking that Thorburn was coming fast after him so he'd throw on the brakes and reverse direction. I don't think he realized Thorburn was that close to him. Losing and edge probably wasn't part of the plan either.

Continuing forward or chipping it out would have been the smart play, O'Brien is a 23 year old rookie.

No player would intentionally put themselves in a position to get boarded, which could potentially end your career. He thought Thorburn would go past him, and he was wrong. It's a penalty.
yeltzen

Postby bill from turtle creek on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:39 am

Games like this actually show that the Pens haven't cornered the market on speed and skill. This is a darned good team they are playing.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:39 am

Xgen wrote:
NIN wrote:
Xgen wrote:
NIN wrote:

So once the stick is in there...and the opposing player holds onto the stick to make it look more dramatic what is a player to do, just skate just straight to the box?

Looked to me that he wraped him him, you CANT DO THAT. You can't wrap your stick arm around the guy while he is skating away. Moore knew it too. It's interfernce everytime.
NIN

Postby jay_caufield on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:40 am

On a good note, would anyone have thought that we would be tied 2-2 with this team considering we have our backup keeper in there and have killeda like 6 or 7 penalties?
jay_caufield

Postby yeltzen on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:40 am

Here's a serious question:
Do Sid and Whitney have some deal going where they have to give each other a cross-ice feed in the attacking zone every game?

I mean, Whitney throws a nice cross-ice pass to Sid at the end of the PP, and then Sid inexplicably decides to throw one back. I'm kinda worried a little about Sid, to be honest. He's getting that "I don't wanna shoot" look about him again.
yeltzen

Postby Xgen on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:41 am

NIN wrote:
Xgen wrote:
NIN wrote:
Xgen wrote:
NIN wrote:

Looked to me that he wraped him him, you CANT DO THAT. You can't wrap your stick arm around the guy while he is skating away. Moore knew it too. It's interfernce everytime.

i'd have to go back and watch it again...

WOWWWWWWWWWW MNFootball did anyone just see what happened???? This is going to be ALLLLLLLLLLLLLll over the news...big suspension coming... Lucky for a cup!!! LOL
Last edited by Xgen on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xgen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jay_caufield on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:41 am

yeltzen wrote:
netwolf wrote:He was thinking that Thorburn was coming fast after him so he'd throw on the brakes and reverse direction. I don't think he realized Thorburn was that close to him. Losing and edge probably wasn't part of the plan either.

No player would intentionally put themselves in a position to get boarded, which could potentially end your career. He thought Thorburn would go past him, and he was wrong. It's a penalty.

If they show it again youll see him forget to bring the puck, thats why he turned back around. Just happened at the exact time Thornburn went to rub him out.
jay_caufield

Postby jmh470 on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:42 am

Welch is having a nightmare game. 2 penalties and responsible for 2 more for being out of position to hit someone. It's like I'm watching a big Kaspar.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:42 am

yeltzen wrote:Here's a serious question:
Do Sid and Whitney have some deal going where they have to give each other a cross-ice feed in the attacking zone every game?

I mean, Whitney throws a nice cross-ice pass to Sid at the end of the PP, and then Sid inexplicably decides to throw one back. I'm kinda worried a little about Sid, to be honest. He's getting that "I don't wanna shoot" look about him again.

I'm worried about Whitney. he should he going to the net and setting himself up for the shot when Sid has the puck. instead he just stands there wide, you're not going to score from there unless you are a righty and can onetime it like Kovalchuk.
NIN

Postby yeltzen on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:44 am

How much do you think these guys hate doing those "Penguins fans first" commercials?
yeltzen

Postby The U on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:45 am

jmh470 wrote:Welch is having a nightmare game. 2 penalties and responsible for 2 more for being out of position to hit someone. It's like I'm watching a big Kaspar.

i like his physical play though. Bringing another dimension to the team.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NIN on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:45 am

yeltzen wrote:How much do you think these guys hate doing those "Penguins fans first" commercials?

I dunno, does'nt seem like a big deal to me. leClair was struggling with his line I thought. :lol: he is a Flyer at heart, let's face it.
NIN

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins