Some guy from CSTV thinks Goligoski is special

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Some guy from CSTV thinks Goligoski is special

Postby Draftnik on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:02 pm

Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:11 pm

Ya i've seen him play a few times... he's a good skater and has really good offensive instincs... another one of those guys- like Malkin- who always seem to make good plays with the puck.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby freq019 on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:31 pm

Special for being the worst draft pick ever . . .

;)
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:03 pm

freq019 wrote:Special for being the worst draft pick ever . . .

;)

He's still got time. If he applies himself, he'll live up to that someday. :wink:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby freq019 on Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:26 pm

netwolf wrote:

;)

He's still got time. If he applies himself, he'll live up to that someday. :wink:

That'll be tough with our drafting record, but you have to have dreams right 8)
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jimjom on Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:37 pm

netwolf wrote:

;)

Robert Dome changed his name to Alex Goligoski??!!??!!?!!??! :shock:
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

I watch Goligoski often

Postby guiner on Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:07 pm

and he is pretty darn good. He gets nothing but high praise from every announcer, he has been compared to Jordan Leopold. Obviously they both played for the Gophers, but the comparison is probably pretty accurate.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:17 pm

He's a freshman right? So that means at least 2 years before his first NHL camp if not 3.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby guiner on Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:49 am

netwolf wrote:He's a freshman right? So that means at least 2 years before his first NHL camp if not 3.

No, this is his sophmore season. He was a real surprise as a freshman, named to the All-WCHA Rookie Team. He is now considered as being on the top defensive pair. He gets first PP minutes and PK time as well.

Tonight he had 3 points. I watched both games this weekend, not his best, but still good as the #1 ranked gophers are now in sole posession of the top spot in the WCHA.

Only 7 less points than Kessel...
http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall ... n&gender=m

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:26 am

So he has two years of college left. That means at least one more year before he turns pro; I can't see him leaving more than a year early, if at all.

I'd be cutious to see how he compares to Letang. Both have similiar styles.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:21 pm

netwolf wrote:So he has two years of college left. That means at least one more year before he turns pro; I can't see him leaving more than a year early, if at all.

I'd be cutious to see how he compares to Letang. Both have similiar styles.

I've watched them both play quite a bit this season. Letang is much more physical and has a bomb from the point. Goligoski is great at controlling and passing the puck. He is like a left handed Zubov IMO. Goligoski is a very cerebral player. Letang plays with a bit of an edge.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:24 pm

Draftnik wrote:I've watched them both play quite a bit this season. Letang is much more physical and has a bomb from the point. Goligoski is great at controlling and passing the puck. He is like a left handed Zubov IMO. Goligoski is a very cerebral player. Letang plays with a bit of an edge.

Thanks for the insight. I don't recall seeing much of an edge from Letang in camp, but that's a whole other animal, expecially since I think that was his first trip. I would imagine his comfort level was not entirely there. The thing I remember most about him was his wrist shot; it was very good.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:35 pm

netwolf wrote:
Draftnik wrote:I've watched them both play quite a bit this season. Letang is much more physical and has a bomb from the point. Goligoski is great at controlling and passing the puck. He is like a left handed Zubov IMO. Goligoski is a very cerebral player. Letang plays with a bit of an edge.

Thanks for the insight. I don't recall seeing much of an edge from Letang in camp, but that's a whole other animal, expecially since I think that was his first trip. I would imagine his comfort level was not entirely there. The thing I remember most about him was his wrist shot; it was very good.

Brent Sutter gets all his WJC kids to play like warriors. I doubt if he will play with that type of intensity over an 82 game NHL schedule, but its nice to know he can dial it up if necessary. He was the trigger man for the QMJHL in the challenge versus Russia. Their PP was basically predicated on getting the puck to him at the point and letting him step into one timers.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins