Daly says arena efforts must be expedited...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Daly says arena efforts must be expedited...

Postby Stoosh on Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:24 pm

Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:30 pm

Part of me wishes the team would move just so I could get on with my life.

All this BS the past few years, the rebuilding, the threat of a lockout, the lockout & now the arena issue are wearing me down.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:48 pm

They are contractually obligated to stay with IoC in Pittsburgh until the slots license is awarded. That survives any ownership change. Maybe they could start shopping the team this summer to other cities per the conditions of their original lease, but Daly doesn't offer any new information with this press release.

If the Pens get a new arena from IoC or Plan P the team will be much more profitable in Pittsburgh because they will run their own building and Pittsburgh has one of the better RSN contracts in the NHL.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:50 pm

Unless Mario specifically asked him to generate some heat, I think Daly should stay out of this. It's none of his business otherwise. And to be honest, threats like this are interpreted by some people to be extortionary, and would be counterproductive.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:51 pm

Unless Mario specifically asked him to generate some heat, I think Daly should stay out of this. It's none of his business otherwise. And to be honest, threats like this are interpreted by some people to be extortionary, and would be counterproductive.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Scott on Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:53 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:Part of me wishes the team would move just so I could get on with my life.

All this BS the past few years, the rebuilding, the threat of a lockout, the lockout & now the arena issue are wearing me down.

That is nice to hear. How can any part of you wish this team would leave? Any little tiny amount. HOW?

If the saga is running your life, wishing they would leave is not the answer,,,nor a sign of a true fan.

Relax, they are going to stay...too much for someone to look like a hero here.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:58 pm

With all due respect, Mango, I couldn't disagree more.

I understand that fans are being put through the ringer here with all of the political and business manuevering. This is ultimately a business that operates in a multi-billion dollar industry, and when that side rears its head, it's often ugly. It's even more frustrating when the fan is forced to sit back and take it.

But I'm willing to wait as long as it takes for this situation to resolve itself. I've said this before and I'll stick to it...for my own selfish reasons, I want the team to stay here in Pittsburgh because I live in the area and I like being able to go and see the games in peson. If I had to choose between a bad NHL team in Pittsburgh or no NHL team in Pittsburgh, I'll choose the bad team any day of the week. A bad team can always get better.

And yes, yes...I know I could get Center Ice and still cheer for the team if they relocate. That's beside the point. Like I said, it's for my own selfish reasons. I like going to the games. I'm hoping some day when my wife and I have kids that my kids take an interest in hockey and I can take them down to the new arena so they can see Sidney Crosby in person. Maybe it's because I grew up in an area that didn't have an NHL team, so I appreciate it a little more now that it's easier for me to see the games live.

I hope people realize something here. With franchise values and expansion fees being what they are, if the Pens leave Pittsburgh, it's very likely that NHL hockey won't be coming back. Sure, this sort of thing doesn't matter to some. But to those of us who live in the area and enjoy going to games, it does.

And yes, I know there's more stuff to do in Pittsburgh than just going to hockey games, and we'd find other ways to spend our time and money if the Pens leave. And I'd probably get Center Ice so I can still watch them on TV.

But all things being equal, I happen to like having our hockey team right here, thank you very much.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby spi on Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:08 pm

[I know there's more stuff to do in Pittsburgh than just going to hockey games]

There isnt much to do in this city through the cold winter months especially when the steelers bow out or dont make the playoffs. I am right with you though and I get your point.

The biggest obstacle we face are the ignorant old farts in this town who keep voting for the same old backward thinking politicians. The majority of the population of this city could care less what is best for the future of Pittsburgh because their life expectancy is about 2-5 years. I just cant belwive that some people actually think that losing a major league sports team is no big deal. It would be like losing Mellon or PNC. a sure sign that this city is only getting worse when major companies decide doing business here is not good business.[/quote]
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:37 pm

It's good that the arena issue continues to draw attention.

I'm still optimistic, even though I have little reason to be.
jmh70

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins