I changed my mind about trading for Gaborik

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

I changed my mind about trading for Gaborik

Postby DelPen on Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:20 pm

If Minnesota would overpay for the opportunity to draft Erik Johnson and send us Gaborik and their 1st for our 1st if it's #1 overall I'd do it. He would have 60 goals playing with Crosby.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:22 pm

If we got Gaborik, we wouldn't get their 1st rounder back ontop of Gaborik. It would be our first and probably a prospect for Gaborik.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:03 pm

Why would Minnesota trade a game-breaking winger like Marian Gaborik for a top 5 pick in this years draft, even if it was the first overall pick? I think people drastically overrate the value of a getting a Minnesota boy (Kessel) to the Wild. It would be a nice story for them but they aren't going to make a lopsided trade over it.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:12 pm

netwolf wrote:Why would Minnesota trade a game-breaking winger like Marian Gaborik for a top 5 pick in this years draft, even if it was the first overall pick? I think people drastically overrate the value of a getting a Minnesota boy (Kessel) to the Wild. It would be a nice story for them but they aren't going to make a lopsided trade over it.

Besides, he's not even a Minnesota boy. He's from right here in Madison, WI. But the traitor left rtown to go to school in St. Paul :(
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:24 pm

We're talking about Erik Johnson here, not Kessel.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:34 pm

DelPen wrote:We're talking about Erik Johnson here, not Kessel.

Even so, what is the attraction for Minnesota? They give up a legit 30-40 goal guy for an 18 year old defenseman, who is an incredible prospect, but just a prospect nevertheless. I don't think Minnesota is anywhere close to cap trouble, so it makes no sense.

Gaborik on his own would command a much higher price (at least one established player and one decent-to-good prospect) and that's on his own. Ask for their #1 in return and the price goes up.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: I changed my mind about trading for Gaborik

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:20 pm

DelPen wrote:If Minnesota would overpay for the opportunity to draft Erik Johnson and send us Gaborik and their 1st for our 1st if it's #1 overall I'd do it. He would have 60 goals playing with Crosby.

I don't think they will include their 1st round pick but maybe a 2nd rounder if we send them another prospect. Nobody in this draft (except maybe Staal) will ever be as good as Gaborik so the Pens should send alittle more their way for him.
NIN

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:27 pm

For an established young star like Gaborik, I would trade our first pick this year straight up, simple as that.

I have a hard time believing it could happen though. Minnesota has no real motive to trade him. He is their franchise player.
MrKnowNothing

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:33 pm

MrKnowNothing wrote:For an established young star like Gaborik, I would trade our first pick this year straight up, simple as that.

I have a hard time believing it could happen though. Minnesota has no real motive to trade him. He is their franchise player.

I agree, but I really beleive the Penguins should have been and should be considering generous offers for him. 60 goals from a guy who dosent go near the front of the net would be tremendous, but it's what he does in the neutral zone and the power play that makes him one of the top 5 forwards in the world.
NIN

Postby mikey287 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:05 am

Oh no, another ridiculous trade thought. I understand that you guys are just throwing trade banter back and forth but I don't think anyone is even close...
First, Gaborik is not going to be traded, I don't think ever, he was the first draft pick in Minnesota Wild history, he is the franchise, that would be like the Bruins trading Joe...Thornton...uhhh, oops...

Secondly, people are being generous by saying, "I'd give up a first round pick straight up for him", yeah so would I, Minnesota management would fall of their collective chairs laughing. First round pick (top 3), a pretty moderate/high end forward prospect (hm, Talbot, Christensen in that area at the very least) and since Minnesota will want to lose a defenseman in the deal, we'll probably end up with a Willie Mitchell or someone relatively uneffective (Ive seen him thrown around as a Penguin possibly before, he's nothing really special, injury prone, and makes some mistakes positionally, usually going for a hit, but anything is an improvement I should think) I think Daniel Tjarnqvist would be a better bet for us, much more sound, all around player, and won't make nearly as many mistakes as Willie Mitchell because he's not physical, let Brooksy be physical.
Hopefully Minnesota will allow us to d-man back there way as well, Cory Cross or fellow waste of space Lyle Odelein...I'm starting to ramble, so here's what I think would be just on fringe of reality for getting Gaborik (if he were up for trade at all)...

Penguins get:
Gaborik
Tjarnqvist

Wild get:
1st round pick (top 3 overall, hopefully for trade purposes)
Eric Bougenicki
Shane Endicott
Ryan Malone/Colby Armstrong/Jani Rita/Tomas Surovy (one or two of these guys)

I love Gaborik, he's awesome, I even have a the green Gaborik Wild jersey, among others, but this is just another franchise player to add to a team of futures franchisers...Marc Andre Fleury, Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby...it's a lackluster draft class compared to most, I definitely want to trade the first round pick, but I'm not sure I want a franchise player back, maybe like a collection of Steven Reinprecht's, Ales Kotalik's, Maxim Afinogenov's, Niko Kapanen's, Raffi Torres's, Radim Vrbata's, Stanislav Chistov's, Dainius Zubrus's, Alexei Ponikarovsky's, and Carlo Colaiacovo's and so on and so forth. Just my unsubstantiated opinion.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:19 am

mikey287 wrote:I love Gaborik, he's awesome, I even have a the green Gaborik Wild jersey, among others, but this is just another franchise player to add to a team of futures franchisers...Marc Andre Fleury, Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby...it's a lackluster draft class compared to most, I definitely want to trade the first round pick, but I'm not sure I want a franchise player back, maybe like a collection of Steven Reinprecht's, Ales Kotalik's, Maxim Afinogenov's, Niko Kapanen's, Raffi Torres's, Radim Vrbata's, Stanislav Chistov's, Dainius Zubrus's, Alexei Ponikarovsky's, and Carlo Colaiacovo's and so on and so forth. Just my unsubstantiated opinion.

I am pretty high on Afiniginov. I think he is getting it together mentally and the confidence is starting to show more in more as he makes some very creative plays actually work. As far the gifts he isnt going to out muscle too many defenders (if any) and his shot certainly isnt overpowering. Those 2 liabilites would make it very difficult for him to be among the elite point getters but I still think he could manage 40 goals with the right linemates. Afiniginov is a good player to trade for. I would trade the 1st rounder for him, a proven Buffalo blueliner and a prospect.
NIN

trade :)

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:30 pm

Gaborik for 1st round pick and Morozov :)
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins