PG says all applicants for license should offer arena

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

PG says all applicants for license should offer arena

Postby bill from turtle creek on Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:08 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06050/657385.stm

Well, no doubt that PG has seen the light. Lead editorial in today's paper.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:09 pm

The train is picking up steam. It was nice to read that little snippet, although they stopped short of throwing their support behind IoC. The more and more we see of these ideas, the better for the Pens and the western PA region.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby imau2fan on Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:59 pm

Absolutely. That's why we need to be relentless in keeping up the pressure. It's questionable whether it will result in IoC winning, but if the heat forces the competition to pay for a big chunk of the arena, then that works too.
imau2fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

keep positive!

Postby penny lane on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:00 am

It is great to read the letters in sports mail bags or in the regular
letter to the editor sections. Plus, now in the 2 papers their columnists
and editorial board speaking out.
Keep the faith!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Racer17 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:40 pm

Does anyone else think maybe our battle should be for whoever wins the slots license to be compelled to build a new arena versus battling for the IOC plan to win? What I'm getting at is, if the "fix" is truly in, maybe our energy is better spent in getting Forest to build the arena in the face of overwhelming public and politcal pressure? This way the Pens stay, Onorato and O'Connor get their "multi-purpose facility" and come out smelling like a rose, and Rendell's dirtbags get what they probably already have guaranteed already?
Racer17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:41 pm

I'ts been my contention all along that I don't care how the arena gets built...just that it does and the Pens stay.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby passmaster16 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:54 pm

Racer17 wrote:Does anyone else think maybe our battle should be for whoever wins the slots license to be compelled to build a new arena versus battling for the IOC plan to win? What I'm getting at is, if the "fix" is truly in, maybe our energy is better spent in getting Forest to build the arena in the face of overwhelming public and politcal pressure? This way the Pens stay, Onorato and O'Connor get their "multi-purpose facility" and come out smelling like a rose, and Rendell's dirtbags get what they probably already have guaranteed already?

I believe this is a cause and effect relationship. By supporting IoC, the hope is that either IoC wins the license or the other competitors feel enough pressure to include the arena in their proposals. Like others, I don't care as much about who builds the arena, just so that it gets built. The fact is though there is still only one proposal on the table that includes arena funding. And by supporting that proposal on the grounds that it will provide money for the arena should automatically put pressure on the other two applicants. With that being said, I still believe the IoC is the best proposal based on its own merrits of being able to truly impact a depressed area. The other two proposals are merely extending an already existing development area...I don't believe this is important as totally revitalizing a run down area of the city.
passmaster16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:05 pm

passmaster16 wrote:
I believe this is a cause and effect relationship. By supporting IoC, the hope is that either IoC wins the license or the other competitors feel enough pressure to include the arena in their proposals. Like others, I don't care as much about who builds the arena, just so that it gets built. The fact is though there is still only one proposal on the table that includes arena funding. And by supporting that proposal on the grounds that it will provide money for the arena should automatically put pressure on the other two applicants. With that being said, I still believe the IoC is the best proposal based on its own merrits of being able to truly impact a depressed area. The other two proposals are merely extending an already existing development area...I don't believe this is important as totally revitalizing a run down area of the city.

Passmaster16, ever since this board changed format, there hasn't been a PoTW... Let me nominate your post as PoTW.

Yours is the most direct, succienct, factual, common-sensical post that I've read on here in quite some time.

If only more people read, thought about, and understood the points you so aptlty make.

Thanks for your input, I look forward to more of your Plain speaking common sense posts in the future.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:24 pm

Don't stop very fast passmaster16, or ExPatriatePen's nose will go straight up your butt.

:)
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:25 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Don't stop very fast passmaster16, or ExPatriatePen's nose will go straight up your butt.

So speak to the merits... tell me what it is that you take exception to in passmasters post? Or is it that you're just jealous that you haven't posted anything intelligent enough to merit your own accolades?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:35 pm

My intelligence has nothing to do with the matter. Rest assured I do not require your accolades in order to feel competent about my posts.

I have no disagreement with his post, I just found it amusing that you lavished him with so much praise for it.

It was a comment made in jest. Relax. :)
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:43 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:My intelligence has nothing to do with the matter. Rest assured I do not require your accolades in order to feel competent about my posts.

I have no disagreement with his post, I just found it amusing that you lavished him with so much praise for it.

It was a comment made in jest. Relax. :)

I'll relax as soon as you apologize for your demeaning comment.

Untill then, I'll continue to question either your intelligence and your character.

There is nothing wrong with praising a poster for intelligent feedback. Most posts are much more like yours, Jr. High school attacks at other posters which require little to no intellilect what so ever.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:57 pm

Ok so you have no sense of humor. I can live with that.

I didnt mean to offend you by posting what I did. So then I apologize if it was taken that way.

And I never said there was anything wrong with praising a poster for intelligent feedback. However, I do feel you are taking yourself, and my post, too seriously.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:45 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Don't stop very fast passmaster16, or ExPatriatePen's nose will go straight up your butt.

:lol: That's a riot. Forgive me EPF but your compliments seemed somehow dramatized and that was a well placed jab by FallenHero06. Of course I say that at the risk of also becomming a butt dart.

Seriously though Passmaster's post was well said summary of most of our thoughts. I really trully do not care how it gets built or who gets the stupid slots license (which is a crying shame to have around anyways). Just get it done in time to keep the team here! Gosh darnit!!
NIN

Postby passmaster16 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Passmaster16, ever since this board changed format, there hasn't been a PoTW... Let me nominate your post as PoTW.

Yours is the most direct, succienct, factual, common-sensical post that I've read on here in quite some time.

If only more people read, thought about, and understood the points you so aptlty make.

Thanks for your input, I look forward to more of your Plain speaking common sense posts in the future.

Thanks for your feedback EPP. I think one of the reasons why this whole scenario is so difficult is that it would be very simple to resolve if the politicians were truly making the best decisions on the citizens' behalf. When you ask people who are outside the state, most would agree that IoC is the best proposal on paper right now. It is unfortunate that the intent of the politicians is to make the issue so complex to cover up the underhanded activity that is going on.
passmaster16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins