So, uh, why exactly did we not re-sign Strbak for this year?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: So, uh, why exactly did we not re-sign Strbak for this y

Postby NIN on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:45 am

Tikkanen wrote:I'm just trying to figure this one out...I had completely forgotten about him. certainly the guy was more serviceable than signing Poapst or Odelein, and as good defensively than Scuds with more of an offensive upside - why did we not bring him back?

I'm going to answer my own question - they thought they had enough on the blueline with Gonchar and crew, and didn't think they would be as bad as they are, so Strbak was expendable.

Anyone else care to discuss?

When I solve the Rozival phenomenon I will get back to you.
NIN

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:47 am

Tikkanen wrote:I'm just trying to figure this one out...I had completely forgotten about him. certainly the guy was more serviceable than signing Poapst or Odelein, and as good defensively than Scuds with more of an offensive upside - why did we not bring him back?

I'm going to answer my own question - they thought they had enough on the blueline with Gonchar and crew, and didn't think they would be as bad as they are, so Strbak was expendable.

Anyone else care to discuss?

They wanted the veteran leadership of Poapst and Odelein :roll: . It's funny, I had the exact same thought seeing him play. There is no way he isn't beter than most of the d-men on the roster. Just another horrendous misjudgement by our inept GM.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:59 am

Maybe because he didn't want to play in the NHL? No, that couldn't be it. I'd love to have him on the Pens but it's not like he could ahve been forced to play for us this year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ironhorse on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:34 am

I do believe he informed the team that he had no intent to returen to the NHL.
Ironhorse
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Defence21 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:58 am

NIN wrote:When I solve the Rozival phenomenon I will get back to you.

I can understand the Roszival situation. He had been injured year after year with the Penguins and was due to make over a million. In hindsight, he would be the perfect defenseman for this team, however it would have been tough for most swallow at the time, if he had been signed for that amount after his history if injuries and slightly better than average play. It's too bad, though, because he would be a huge upgrade on this defense.

As for Strbak, I am willing to bet he had no interest in playing in the NHL.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:37 pm

Enough witht he Rozy butt kissing. You really think he would look good on this team with this bad management and the horrible coaching we had to begin the year? If Gonchar was on the Rags we'd all be saying CP should of outbid for him because he'd be playing better on a team with a good system and a good coach.

If/when Melichar joins Rozy in NY he will look much better than he has all season.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jmh70 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:22 pm

Defence21 wrote:I can understand the Roszival situation.

I can't. Hurt or not, Roszival was always the better defenseman. It's really just that simple.

Martin St. Louis had the same injury as Roszival, but you didn't see Jay Feaster cut him lose. (I'm not comparing those two players. It is just an illustration of the proper way to deal with a seriously injured player.)

Strbak, well, he showed plenty of promise in the short time he was with the Pens. But I guess that wasn't good enough for our Hall of Fame GM.
jmh70

Postby netwolf on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:28 pm

Rozsival was thought to be unwilling to play through minor injuries by management. That's why he was cut loose; whether that's true, only Rozsival knows.

Strbak had some good games, but overall was decidedly average. Losing him was no big deal. Besides, as Ironhorse said, I believe he decided to stay in Europe.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:53 pm

I believe I also read that he decided to stay in Europe.... I think it was in the PG.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:40 pm

jmh70 wrote:Hurt or not, Roszival was always the better defenseman. It's really just that simple.

Martin St. Louis had the same injury as Roszival, but you didn't see Jay Feaster cut him lose. (I'm not comparing those two players. It is just an illustration of the proper way to deal with a seriously injured player.)

Strbak, well, he showed plenty of promise in the short time he was with the Pens. But I guess that wasn't good enough for our Hall of Fame GM.

Two key things here. First of all, Rozsival always was an average or slightly better than average defenseman. Was he worth the money the Pens would have been obligated to pay him (over $1 mil)? Maybe if he hadn't suffered injury after injury. But there's no use investing a signficant amount of money in someone who is proned to getting hurt. In hindsight, sure, the Pens should have signed him. But you honestly can't say he'd be as good as he is right now if he were on the Pens.

Secondly, Strbak also was a good player, but, as several people mentioned, you can't force someone to stay with your team. Several people have said above that he said he preferred to stay in Europe. So even if the Pens would have made an offer, he likely won't have come over.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins