That "Malkontent" rumor is still out there.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

That "Malkontent" rumor is still out there.

Postby Three Stars on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:00 am

Malkin...malcontent...eh, you get it. Spector's sez:

Evgeny Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins. Believe it or not, there's actually an internet rumor that Malkin doesn't want to toil in Sidney Crosby's shadow and could seek a trade before next season. Yeah, the obvious joy on Malkin's face every time he or linemate Crosby scores is indicative of his unhappiness. Must be a Russian thing. The twist to this fantasy rumor is based on the perception the Penguins cannot afford to retain Malkin, Crosby, Marc-Andre Fleury and Jordan Staal when they come up for re-signing so Malkin could be dealt. As Aerosmith once sang, Dream On! Perhaps Malkin might be traded one day, but it won't be next summer. He's still got two more seasons with the Pens on his current contract and if he holds out they still own his rights. A decision on Malkin's future with the Pens is far into the future and it's a good bet that he'll remain a Penguin after this contract is expired.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: That "Malkontent" rumor is still out there.

Postby mjg on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:03 am

Three Stars wrote:Malkin...malcontent...eh, you get it. Spector's sez:

Evgeny Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins. Believe it or not, there's actually an internet rumor that Malkin doesn't want to toil in Sidney Crosby's shadow and could seek a trade before next season. Yeah, the obvious joy on Malkin's face every time he or linemate Crosby scores is indicative of his unhappiness. Must be a Russian thing. The twist to this fantasy rumor is based on the perception the Penguins cannot afford to retain Malkin, Crosby, Marc-Andre Fleury and Jordan Staal when they come up for re-signing so Malkin could be dealt. As Aerosmith once sang, Dream On! Perhaps Malkin might be traded one day, but it won't be next summer. He's still got two more seasons with the Pens on his current contract and if he holds out they still own his rights. A decision on Malkin's future with the Pens is far into the future and it's a good bet that he'll remain a Penguin after this contract is expired.

Well, if Crosby is going to Montreal when he becomes a UFA (the other internet rumor), why would we trade Malkin?
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nexguy66 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:04 am

There is an internet rumor that every penguin player is unhappy and wants to leave. AO is also rumored to quit hockey early cause Malkin looks so promising.
nexguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:08 am

Spector is the Penguins Joko Ono. :D
NIN

Postby BingoBangoBongo on Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:07 am

once again, the far reaching abilities of this website. a russian guy posting on here said a lot of stuff, that crosby wouldn't pass malkin the puck when he was obviously open, blah blah blah. Unless that was malkin himself, i'd say it's bs.
BingoBangoBongo

Postby letsgopens87 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:09 am

They hate eachother.
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:41 am

BingoBangoBongo wrote:once again, the far reaching abilities of this website. a russian guy posting on here said a lot of stuff, that crosby wouldn't pass malkin the puck when he was obviously open, blah blah blah. Unless that was malkin himself, i'd say it's bs.

Specter all but puts an end to this ridiculous rumor. He even goes so far as to say that he believes Malkin will remain with the Penguins beyond his three year rookie contract.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:20 am

letsgo...thank you for that!
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Zach6668 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:45 am

canaan wrote:letsgo...thank you for that!

yup, stole it for my avatar another forum.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:35 am

The amusing thing is that the only source of these rumors must be Gonchar, since he's the only person who can talk to him. And since Malkin can't even read about these rumors, he is not going to refute them.

I find it highly unlikely that a mere few weeks after leaving Russia, upon arriving in a place where he's a media darling, that he is already dying alive.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PenguinMan on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:25 am

bill from turtle creek wrote:The amusing thing is that the only source of these rumors must be Gonchar, since he's the only person who can talk to him. And since Malkin can't even read about these rumors, he is not going to refute them.

I find it highly unlikely that a mere few weeks after leaving Russia, upon arriving in a place where he's a media darling, that he is already dying alive.

Rumors are usually started by people who are in no position to start them in the first place. So I seriously doubt the source is Gonchar.
Realistically we might not be able to keep all 4 of them 4-5 years down the road but you have to love the jealousy that has developed around the league and beyond. Which is the main force behind these rumors and speculations.
PenguinMan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby conforto45 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:35 am

PenguinMan wrote:
bill from turtle creek wrote:The amusing thing is that the only source of these rumors must be Gonchar, since he's the only person who can talk to him. And since Malkin can't even read about these rumors, he is not going to refute them.

Rumors are usually started by people who are in no position to start them in the first place. So I seriously doubt the source is Gonchar.
Realistically we might not be able to keep all 4 of them 4-5 years down the road but you have to love the jealousy that has developed around the league and beyond. Which is the main force behind these rumors and speculations.

that is 4 or 5 years down the road... ALOT OF STUFF can happen in that time.

i wish people would stop talking about 4 or 5 years and talk about THIS YEAR.

the season isnt barely a quarter of the way over, and people are crying and complaining about what is going to happen in 5 years.

start talking about whats going to happen at the trade deadline this year, or who is going to start in goal tonite. dont friggin worry about 5 years. DAMN!!!!!!!
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:43 am

In all honesty... I do see a lot of Jagr in Malkin when he does interviews and even on the ice and bench... Coming from ME, you know that's not a positive thing.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby yeltzen on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:08 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.
Even T.O. is a great teammate when he's getting the ball and the team is winning.
yeltzen

Crosby

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:12 pm

Crosby wants to win. Period.

There's no way he would do anything to jeopardize this.
Andrew
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:12 pm

Jim wrote:In all honesty... I do see a lot of Jagr in Malkin when he does interviews and even on the ice and bench... Coming from ME, you know that's not a positive thing.

I figured it would take at least 20 games played before Malkin bashing started. :roll:
NIN

Postby Jim on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:16 pm

NIN wrote:
Jim wrote:In all honesty... I do see a lot of Jagr in Malkin when he does interviews and even on the ice and bench... Coming from ME, you know that's not a positive thing.

I figured it would take at least 20 games played before Malkin bashing started. :roll:

Who's bashing? :roll:
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:16 pm

Why do I get the feeling that many people reading the linked blurb are missing the point that the author is actually dismissing the rumor as beyond crap?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:24 pm

netwolf wrote:Why do I get the feeling that many people reading the linked blurb are missing the point that the author is actually dismissing the rumor as beyond crap?

Many people hear the name Spector's and think "Rumor source," so they don't bother reading beyond the headlines. In fact, Spector is just a middleman who takes snipets from newspapers/television/radio/etc and posts them in one convenient place. Because people fail to read his usually very accurate prediction/analysis, they fail to get the whole story, and therefore don't realize that he refutes the majority of rumors he posts. That's the main reason I like Spector's sites -- he gives a logical explanation as to why the rumored trade will or won't happen, and he usually is very accurate.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:27 pm

It's just people talking about the subject of the story. It really doesn't matter if it's true or not, it's based on a rumor anyway.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimjom on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:33 pm

I challenge any of the city's journalists, specifically hockey writers-- to step up, grow a set and ASK Malkin this question (through an interpreter of course):

"Are you unhappy being in Sidney Crosby's shadow?"

Come on Molinari...you can do it. Stop wasting people's time on "where the hats from hat tricks go" :roll:
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby yeltzen on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:37 pm

jimjom wrote:I challenge any of the city's journalists, specifically hockey writers-- to step up, grow a set and ASK Malkin this question (through an interpreter of course):

Come on Molinari...you can do it. Stop wasting people's time on "where the hats from hat tricks go" :roll:

You don't need to "grow a set" to ask that question. It has to be a relevant question. He has given no indication that he's unhappy in any way, so what would be the poing of asking?
yeltzen

Postby pfim on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:38 pm

You don't need to "grow a set" to ask that question. It has to be a relevant question. He has given no indication that he's unhappy in any way, so what would be the poing of asking?

Because!
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:42 pm

i dunno what the conversation was, but last game, they showed an extended little clip during the review of the disallowed goal...of whitney and malkin talking and smiling...no clue what kind of words were said, but i found it interesting nonetheless.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimjom on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:42 pm

yeltzen wrote:
jimjom wrote:I challenge any of the city's journalists, specifically hockey writers-- to step up, grow a set and ASK Malkin this question (through an interpreter of course):

Yeltzen, because people want to know...it's a topic that's out there fueled by credible sources, so why not ask?
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins