Crosby WILL overtake Ovechkin....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Crosby WILL overtake Ovechkin....

Postby Mountaineer on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:03 pm

Write it down. Two weeks off will do him a world of good, both physically and mentally. While Ovechkin will return from Torino tired and beat up, Sid will take the ice refreshed and determined that this season ends on a positive note. Ovechkin may have a couple games in hand, but two plus weeks away from the game will make a huge difference for Sid the Kid.
Mountaineer

Postby Stevens25 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:06 pm

I feel the same way. I'm kinda glad Sidney didn't get choosen for the Olympics.It gives him time to rest. However,it may all come down to who's linemates are better at this point.
Stevens25

Re: Crosby WILL overtake Ovechkin....

Postby NIN on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:50 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Write it down. Two weeks off will do him a world of good, both physically and mentally. While Ovechkin will return from Torino tired and beat up, Sid will take the ice refreshed and determined that this season ends on a positive note. Ovechkin may have a couple games in hand, but two plus weeks away from the game will make a huge difference for Sid the Kid.

I think so too. The time off should recharge Recchi's batteries too.
NIN

Postby netwolf on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:55 pm

Here's hoping. :) One thing still in Ovechkin's favor is that his game is better suited for producing without much help from linemates. Crosby is very capable of producing offense on his own as well, but not as capable as Ovechkin.

To this point, neither has received mcuh help from their linemates.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:31 am

Screw that, I wanted Crosby on the team because playing with the best of the best can only do good for a young player. Mario himself has said the biggest boost he ever recieved in his career was the Canada Cup.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Calder Trophy voting

Postby penny lane on Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:51 am

netwolf wrote:Here's hoping. :) One thing still in Ovechkin's favor is that his game is better suited for producing without much help from linemates. Crosby is very capable of producing offense on his own as well, but not as capable as Ovechkin.

To this point, neither has received mcuh help from their linemates.

I was really off earlier in the season; thinking that the Calder went like the scoring race leader...who ever had the most points.
Now that I know it's a popularity contest amongst the sports writers, that is always subject to personal opinion. I think catching & leading AO in points will be Sid's motivation to complete his rookie year.
Both Sid & AO deserve credit for maintaining their focus on woeful teams.
Sid has had the more dramatic of events...AO just constant losing.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:53 am

Thoughts from my personal crystal ball, a crystal ball which doesn't always give me the best results :-)

AO and the Capitals haven't thrown in the towel on the season yet. The pens have, and have moved past that and will start to pick up their games as a strong finish to this year and precursor to a good season next year (Similar to what happened when they finished strong in 2003-2004)

AO and the Capitals will go through their toughest stretch when the season resumes and they hit their first extended losing streak. *That* will be Sids time to catch, pass, and open up a lead on AO.

Standard caveat about this just being "one man's opinion" applies.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby kovyman1127 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:23 pm

Mark it down:

Crosby won't catch AO this year...but I think, in the long term, We will be talking about Crosby like Yzerman....while we will be talking about AO in years to come as Kovalchuk.
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:11 pm

kovyman1127 wrote:Mark it down:

Crosby won't catch AO this year...but I think, in the long term, We will be talking about Crosby like Yzerman....while we will be talking about AO in years to come as Kovalchuk.

Ovechkin is already the equal of Kovalchuk. He might even be better.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:18 pm

netwolf wrote:
kovyman1127 wrote:Mark it down:

Ovechkin is already the equal of Kovalchuk. He might even be better.

I think Kovyman was speaking of their respect temperments in addition to their skills... ie. AO With a 'Big Head'
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Psychlone on Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:23 pm

Ovechkin is already the equal of Kovalchuk. He might even be better.[/quote]

Not yet, right now Kovalchuk is better.

Also, even if Crosby does overtake Ovechkin who cares when the team is most likely gone anyway? I hate to be so pessimistic but it's hard to get excited about anything Penguins related with the arena issue not getting any brighter.[/quote]
Psychlone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins