Rendell Told Pens last June that no public $$ was available

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Rendell Told Pens last June that no public $$ was available

Postby Stoosh on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:26 am

According to this P-G article that ran last June, Rendell said that "there seems to be no support among the public officials here for any public [arena] funding..."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05165/521217.stm

In this article, he also suggests that the Pens' best course of action to get the arena is to try for the slots license.

This was last JUNE. EIGHT MONTHS AGO.

Just eight months ago, this team was still trying to talk about alternatives. Just eight months ago, this team was being told that there was no support among the public officials here (meaning both local AND state-level officials) for public funding. Just eight months ago, Ed Rendell was suggesting that the Pens secure private financing for the arena, which they've done by virtue of the Isle of Capri plan.

Eight months later, and now they are the ones accused of being uncooperative? Eight months later, and these same elected officials are now the ones telling the Pens they need to speed things up?

Perhaps Mr. O'Connor, Mr. Onorato and Mr. Rendell can explain how they plan on filling the gaping $70-million-a-year hole in the city's revenue streams when the team leaves town because its elected officials were still dragging their feet on this as little as eight months ago.l
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:32 am

On top of that, there's the point that you and other LGP posters have made on other threads Stoosh, that after being told no public money was going to be made available, the Pens turned to a partner, IoC.

IoC made the Arena the linchpin of their proposal for the slots license. Now the Gov. is asking the Pens to throw IoC under the bus and undermine the IoC proposal. The Pens, to their credit, are unwilling to do so.

And the Gov. is expressing surprise that the Pens aren't embracing his latest slight of hand?

From the PG today:

"Rendell called it "baffling," "puzzling" and "crazy" that the Penguins won't talk to elected officials, especially because the National Hockey League says the team needs to solidify its future within months. The Penguins want to use money from slots gambling to build an arena."

The more Rendell maneuvers, the more he sinks into the political quicksand.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:01 pm

I would love to see IoC run some campaign-style ads about all his flip flops on this.

"I actually voted against public funding for an arena before I voted for it."

This guy has to be one of the biggest hypocrites I have ever seen. As a non-resident, I have generally stayed out of the arena discussions because it really isn't my place to comment. But Fast Eddie's (or is it Gov. Pigbreath's?) machinations have totally angered me. This latest crap is nothing more than an attempt to cast the Penguins in a bad light. Oh, how I wish Swanny would support the Pens and point out all this *******' lies.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Rendell Told Pens last June that no public $$ was availa

Postby DayWalker on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:34 pm

Stoosh wrote:According to this P-G article that ran last June, Rendell said that "there seems to be no support among the public officials here for any public [arena] funding..."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05165/521217.stm

In this article, he also suggests that the Pens' best course of action to get the arena is to try for the slots license.

This was last JUNE. EIGHT MONTHS AGO.

Just eight months ago, this team was still trying to talk about alternatives. Just eight months ago, this team was being told that there was no support among the public officials here (meaning both local AND state-level officials) for public funding. Just eight months ago, Ed Rendell was suggesting that the Pens secure private financing for the arena, which they've done by virtue of the Isle of Capri plan.

Eight months later, and now they are the ones accused of being uncooperative? Eight months later, and these same elected officials are now the ones telling the Pens they need to speed things up?

Perhaps Mr. O'Connor, Mr. Onorato and Mr. Rendell can explain how they plan on filling the gaping $70-million-a-year hole in the city's revenue streams when the team leaves town because its elected officials were still dragging their feet on this as little as eight months ago.l

Seems as though it took the elected officials nearly seven years to figure out that, no, really, the Penguins organization was serious about bouncing.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins