BO thinks Pitt. can get an NBA Franchise if the Pens leave

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

BO thinks Pitt. can get an NBA Franchise if the Pens leave

Postby dboss on Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:22 pm

Yes, I confirmed this today. On Monday Benz was saying to Jim Colony that BO said something to him at a function last Friday night and that he was going to try and get him to say it on the air in the interview. If he didn't say it, Benz said he would get into it after the interview. If you listen to the interview again (Thanks Bowser!) you can hear Benz hinting at it during the final part of the interview, where he is asking BO if the Pens leave, who could be the anchor tenant of a new arena.

This is the most basic demonstration of the lunacy of BO.

1.) To think an NBA would be successful in this city is just completely idiotic.
2.) To think an NBA team would WANT to come here after the way the Pens have been treated is EVEN MORE idiotic.

I am really beginning to hate this city more and more every day. Its so obvious the fix is in with Rendell and FC its not even funny. And BO and Onorato are willing participants. Makes me sick!
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:28 pm

OR

Get an arena and get an NBA team as well. There are still some cities that have the hockey and basketball teams play in the same arena.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dboss on Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:32 pm

wondermoose wrote:OR

Get an arena and get an NBA team as well. There are still some cities that have the hockey and basketball teams play in the same arena.

That would be great for Pittsburgh, but I don't think Pittsburgh has the economic ability to sustain another pro sports team. Also, that still doesn't the fact that Pittsburgh is really not a basketball city. I just don't see it.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:29 pm

How many basketball teams has this team had already? BO is a moron, and everytime I hear him speak I'm just a little more convinced.
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:29 am

The only way an NBA team would have a chance here is if they were perennial contenders (because people will go see a winner), but even then it's questionable.

Minor league pro basketball has failed here before, and the Pittsburgh Xplosion routinely play in front of crowds less than 100 people.

People here aren't going to support an NBA team solely because it's a major sport. This is a proven hockey market - people are still buying tickets despite the on-ice ineptitude the past few years. That tells you you have a good core of fans here. When the winning comes back, so will Joe Average Burgh Sports Fan and with him, max crowds.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:32 am

WOW an NBA team!!!!

Another great reason why we cannot let the pens leave pittsburgh!
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:05 am

The NBA would never even consider Pittsburgh for a team. David Stern is a very smart commissioner and wouldn't try to force basketball into a non-basketball town. Yes, Pitt draws well because they win. But how about any of the other colleges or the Xplosion? Even when the Cavs came to town I believe they drew less than 10,000. Yes, it was exhibition season, but if this were a basketball starved city, it would've sold out.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby randy on Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:05 pm

The NBA is going to expand overseas, as david stern has said, not to Pittsburgh.

What idiocy
randy

It would cost more money.....

Postby taiteng on Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:45 pm

To lure a franchise here as opposed to keeping the Pens here. The city/county would have to pay 100% of a new arena before an existing franchise would come or would have to find an owner willing to put up an expansion fee and pay for a portion of the arena. They would also want a sweetheart lease. Typical Pittsburgh thinking.
taiteng

Postby BritishPenguin on Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:29 pm

netwolf wrote:The only way an NBA team would have a chance here is if they were perennial contenders (because people will go see a winner), but even then it's questionable.

Minor league pro basketball has failed here before, and the Pittsburgh Xplosion routinely play in front of crowds less than 100 people.

People here aren't going to support an NBA team solely because it's a major sport. This is a proven hockey market - people are still buying tickets despite the on-ice ineptitude the past few years. That tells you you have a good core of fans here. When the winning comes back, so will Joe Average Burgh Sports Fan and with him, max crowds.

As you rightly said, Pittsburgh is no basketball city. It's a hockey city.

With the tradition and heritage involved with hockey in the city, it would be a major disappointment to see the team leave. As an outsider I can't really comment on the politics within the city (I'll leave that to you guys), but I can tell you it will be an extremely sad day for ice hockey and Pittsburgh if the Penguins were to leave. That is why I would back any proposal to keep the team in Pittsburgh. It would also stick in the throat if the team were to move and pick up the Stanley Cup in the first season post relocation.
BritishPenguin

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:46 pm

BritishPenguin wrote:It would also stick in the throat if the team were to move and pick up the Stanley Cup in the first season post relocation.

Just ask the folks in the Quebec Nordiques Sweaters :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:49 pm

BritishPenguin wrote:As you rightly said, Pittsburgh is no basketball city. It's a hockey city.

Have you never heard of John Brisker and the Pittsburgh Condors?

:shock: :? :lol:

Bring back the multicolored ball and the ABA! :D
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby taiteng on Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:50 pm

Here is Smizik's reply.

"I have yet to read anything about either the mayor or county executive preaching ``the postives of the Harrah's plan.'' I'd be curious to know where you read or heard that because they seem to be keeping extremely low profiles on the matter.
Likewise, I know nothing of the locally impacted studies that you are talking about.
Thanks for writing." -- Bob Smizik
taiteng

Postby dboss on Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:07 pm

taiteng wrote:Here is Smizik's reply.

"I have yet to read anything about either the mayor or county executive preaching ``the postives of the Harrah's plan.'' I'd be curious to know where you read or heard that because they seem to be keeping extremely low profiles on the matter.
Likewise, I know nothing of the locally impacted studies that you are talking about.
Thanks for writing." -- Bob Smizik

What about O'Connor and Rendell trumpeting all the additional rev. that Harrah's will bring in? Obviously he has his head stuck in the sand like his employer. Here are the impact study links from the Trib if you want to reply:
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/search/s_422140.html
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/search/s_422696.html
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins