New Trib Editorial

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

New Trib Editorial

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:38 am

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune ... 26044.html

Aptly titled "What's That Smell"? It's not favorable to the use of any public money to build an arena, but as usual wonders why the politicians keep changing their tune.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bowser on Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:35 pm

The Trib is going to bash Rendell, O'Connor and Onorato because they are Democrats and the opportunity to call them out has been made easier by their constant whining about the Pens not being allowed to discuss a Plan B.

Plan A was the Pens $225 million proposal in 1999. Plan B was another proposal, Plan C was another, and Plan D is the Pittsburgh First slots application.

The Penguins were told from Plan A-C that public money from the city and county were not available and the state would not release the $90 million arena funds unless the state and local politicians in the SW PA region were in favor of the move.

The Rendell, O'Connor and Onorato plan to pressure the Penguins on a Plan B has blown up in their face. IOC and Pens have done little to respond to the stupidity offered up by the 'Three Amigos' thanks to the awakened 'giant' that are citizens of Pittsburgh.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:42 pm

The Rendell, O'Connor and Onorato plan to pressure the Penguins on a Plan B has blown up in their face. IOC and Pens have done little to respond to the stupidity offered up by the 'Three Amigos' thanks to the awakened 'giant' that are citizens of Pittsburgh.[/quote]

The problem that I see is that certain media figures have taken the bait and are pounding it (i.e. Griffin, Honsberger, and Smizik). I don't understand Honzberger all of a sudden believing what Democrats are telling him, but Griffin's an idiot and Smizik has always been anti-Penguin to a large extent.

I do wish that the Pens were on the attack a bit more. For instance, it would be nice if Nationwide could be talking about how well their Columbus project has done with respect to generating tax revenue. In addition, it would be good if Nationwide could go front and center with their financial health, to try and take the spotlight off of any weakness that Capri has in that regard. I happen to think that Nationwide's reputation, and the fact that they have already done this type of project successfully, should be used to the Pens' advantage and really used a sales tool.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins