What do you all expect at the trade deadline?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What do you all expect at the trade deadline?

Postby Defence21 on Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:29 pm

With about two weeks remaining until the trade deadline, what does everyone realisticly expect to happen? I'm not necessarily talking about rumors here, but just personal opinions.

Here are my thoughts:
1. I think Leclair will head to a team looking to add some size and power. A team like the Wild could use some size and might look at him for a defenseman or a draft pick.
2. Recchi may have the option of staying in Pittsburgh, but if a contending team comes calling, I would be surprised to see him stay. Philly, Montreal and Ottawa all could use some depth. I can't say what we'd get in return, but based on the Weight trade, I would think it could be higher than most would anticipate.
3. While shedding the vets, Odelein, might be a good fit for a younger team heading to the playoffs -- or even a team just in need of a 7th defenseman. I'd expect nothing more than a late pick for him, but the return the Penguins got for Poapst leads me to believe that the Pens could possibly get a servicable player.
4. Instincts tell me that the Czech Former Penguins, also known as the New York Rangers, will have an interest in Melichar. He and Roszival have played well together in the past, he's somewhat young, cheap, and servicable. I don't expect much of a return here, either, but a 3rd or 4th liner probably wouldn't be too much to ask.
5. Gonchar will stay with the Pens unless someone is willing to take his big contract without trading another big contract. And I am fine with that, as I believe Gonchar is coming into his own and returning to his old form -- at least offensively.
6. Lastly, guys like Rita, Cross, Endicott, Roy, Vandebnbussche, etc should all be shopped for utility players, prospects, or draft picks. Heck, I'd even take future considerations, a bag of pucks -- or even just 1 puck -- to get rid of some of these guys.

Now, I don't expect all or most of these to happen. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Pens do what they can to trim the team of some of the guys that don't have a future in Pittsburgh.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,796
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Postby Pitts on Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:59 pm

I don't see anything wrong with your assessment. I expect LeClair, Odelein, Cross, Cairns, Roy, Vandenbusshe, Melichar, Bogenecki, etc., all to be getting shopped for whatever they can grab. If the get a decent offer for Recchi, I think he will go too.

I have no doubt they are trying to move Gonchar. You never know what a team like Colorado, Detroit, or even Vancouver may offer up for him. He would be much better off in a higher scoring offense. Someone may bite, but doubtful.

I do not want them to move Orpik or Malone. I like their game and want them to see another year or two before they get written off.

I'd also start the rumor mill about our #1 possibly being available in the summer. It may jack up a possible trade deadline deal. They need to entertain offers for that pick.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,359
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby Defence21 on Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:10 pm

Pitts wrote:I have no doubt they are trying to move Gonchar. You never know what a team like Colorado, Detroit, or even Vancouver may offer up for him. He would be much better off in a higher scoring offense. Someone may bite, but doubtful.


Yes, good observation. The only two teams I could see having interest in the East are the Rangers and the Maple Leafs. With the Leafs, we'd have to take back salary. With the Rags, I'm not sure what we'd get in return. Western Conference seems like more of a fit for him, though I think he will stay in the Burgh.

Pitts wrote:I do not want them to move Orpik or Malone. I like their game and want them to see another year or two before they get written off.


Again I agree. Orpik adds so much physicality to an otherwise soft blueline. This team had no spine during the few games he was hurt. He must stay. Same with Malone. Sure, he slumped early on, but he is showing now that when he puts his mind to it, he can be a solid hockey player -- a 3rd liner at the very worst.

Pitts wrote:I'd also start the rumor mill about our #1 possibly being available in the summer. It may jack up a possible trade deadline deal. They need to entertain offers for that pick.


Also another important observation. If a team has the opportunity to get the number 1 overall pick in a trade where they take on salary, they might be a bit more willing to give up a quality player. But keep in mind that, while it looks to be a lock, the Pens are definites for the first or even second overall pick. They could heat up or another team could cool down, thus making a draft pick trade risky -- both for the Pens, as a return might be smaller, and for the trade partner, as they don't know exactly which pick they will be getting.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,796
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Postby Pitts on Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:16 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Pitts wrote:I'd also start the rumor mill about our #1 possibly being available in the summer. It may jack up a possible trade deadline deal. They need to entertain offers for that pick.


Also another important observation. If a team has the opportunity to get the number 1 overall pick in a trade where they take on salary, they might be a bit more willing to give up a quality player. But keep in mind that, while it looks to be a lock, the Pens are definites for the first or even second overall pick. They could heat up or another team could cool down, thus making a draft pick trade risky -- both for the Pens, as a return might be smaller, and for the trade partner, as they don't know exactly which pick they will be getting.


I thought of that. But, there are exactly 2 "sure-fire" top picks this year and the Pens have the best chance (probably even more so after trading everyone) of landing a top 2 pick. I honestly would'nt move the pick until the summer when the draft order is set. But, I'd start the rumor mill now to give teams plenty of time to think about it. If we end up 1st overall, the pick will be red hot as teams try to get Johnson.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,359
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: What do you all expect at the trade deadline?

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:02 pm

Defence21 wrote:Here are my thoughts:
1. I think Leclair will head to a team looking to add some size and power. A team like the Wild could use some size and might look at him for a defenseman or a draft pick.


I agree. Not sure about the Wild. But LeClair will go somewhere. he is by far the most likely guy to be dealt. Maybe Buffalo? Odds of going: 80 percent.

Defence21 wrote:2. Recchi may have the option of staying in Pittsburgh, but if a contending team comes calling, I would be surprised to see him stay. Philly, Montreal and Ottawa all could use some depth. I can't say what we'd get in return, but based on the Weight trade, I would think it could be higher than most would anticipate.


He might go, but I'm not convinced. The return would be marginal, IMO. Toronto is a possible destination. But the fact he seems to have come to the Pens to retire lessens the chance of him going anywhere. Chance of him being dealt: 40 percent.

Defence21 wrote:3. While shedding the vets, Odelein, might be a good fit for a younger team heading to the playoffs -- or even a team just in need of a 7th defenseman. I'd expect nothing more than a late pick for him, but the return the Penguins got for Poapst leads me to believe that the Pens could possibly get a servicable player.


You will get nothing for Cornelius and you will like it. He is not even a serviceable 7th in the new NHL. Teams going to the playoffs will trust a rookie beforee they will trust him. If he is dealt, they'll be lucky to get anything other than future considerations. Chance of him being dealt: 50 percent.


Defence21 wrote:4. Instincts tell me that the Czech Former Penguins, also known as the New York Rangers, will have an interest in Melichar. He and Roszival have played well together in the past, he's somewhat young, cheap, and servicable. I don't expect much of a return here, either, but a 3rd or 4th liner probably wouldn't be too much to ask.


Nope. He might go, but it won't be there. They don't need another defensive d-man. They need offensive help back there. Likely return would be about a 5th rounder, no player. Chance of him going: 30 percent

Defence21 wrote:5. Gonchar will stay with the Pens unless someone is willing to take his big contract without trading another big contract. And I am fine with that, as I believe Gonchar is coming into his own and returning to his old form -- at least offensively.


Agreed. Chance of him being dealt: 5 percent

Defence21 wrote:6. Lastly, guys like Rita, Cross, Endicott, Roy, Vandebnbussche, etc should all be shopped for utility players, prospects, or draft picks. Heck, I'd even take future considerations, a bag of pucks -- or even just 1 puck -- to get rid of some of these guys.


None of them has the least bit of value. Zero, zip, nada. The only chance of anyone going anywhere is if it is as a throw-in to another deal.

Others:

Orpik is a possible casualty. It would be a stupid thing to do, but this is Patrick and he holds grudges forever.

Malone? Possibly, though his move to center seems to have silenced much of this talk.

Bottom line is, the Pens will not be busy. They will get little, if anything, of value in any deals. This deadline will be just like the last one--totally boring.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,754
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:04 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Pitts wrote:I have no doubt they are trying to move Gonchar. You never know what a team like Colorado, Detroit, or even Vancouver may offer up for him. He would be much better off in a higher scoring offense. Someone may bite, but doubtful.


Yes, good observation. The only two teams I could see having interest in the East are the Rangers and the Maple Leafs. With the Leafs, we'd have to take back salary. With the Rags, I'm not sure what we'd get in return. Western Conference seems like more of a fit for him, though I think he will stay in the Burgh.


No way on Toronto. They have two great offensive d-men in Kaberle and McCabe. They need a better defensive presence.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,754
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Re: What do you all expect at the trade deadline?

Postby netwolf on Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:13 pm

Defence21 wrote:6. Lastly, guys like Rita, Cross, Endicott, Roy, Vandebnbussche, etc should all be shopped for utility players, prospects, or draft picks. Heck, I'd even take future considerations, a bag of pucks -- or even just 1 puck -- to get rid of some of these guys.


Despite his ice time thus far, I doubt they'll look to move Rita. He's got the dreader "P" word - potential. Kinda reminds me of Josef Beranek - he's got talent, he flashes it just enough to make you think he might develop into something useful. Too early to call on him either way.

Cross has one year left, but by all accounts is a club option. A semi-coherent GM would just let him walk.

Endicott won't be moved. For whatever reason, management seems to see something in him that's invisible to the rest of the hockey world. That's the only way to explain his presence on the roster.

Roy can be an effective player if used right, but Therrien doesn't seem interested in playing him at all. Part of that is Roy's fault. However, unless of real Cup contender is looking for muscle and has cap space for next year, I can't see anyone wanting him.

RVB - no use at the NHL level.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,346
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Postby NIN on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:50 pm

Trades.
NIN
 

trade deadline moves

Postby ams on Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:23 am

i fully expect leclair to be traded. i have a feeling recchi will stay, because he wants to be here, and i think the pens want him here. i've got no major beef with mark staying, he's a guy who often has a little pep in his skates, and though he's not contributing a ton every night, i'm not sure they'd get anything better for him.

odelein will be traded. teams always get desperate for D at the end of a season. remember, marc bergevin always had suitors come march. the pens will get a late pick for lyle just as they did with bergevin, but i expect someone to bite.

surprises? i don't know. orpik is a possibility, though not one i'd agree with. i think maybe malone has saved himself from the chopping block recently. i wonder if someone like jackman may find a home somewhere, as well. another trade i'd be unhappy with, but one we may see...
ams
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:29 am

I just don't get why Orpik's name keeps surfacing in "trade deadline" rumors. I would say he's easily our second (if not top) defenceman. I know that's not saying much but why on earth would anyone trade a young, physical blueliner? Anyone? Only in Pittsburgh would anyone consider trading a player of this sort. I'm sure CP would rather have another Hans Jonsson than a hitter like 44. Orpik has leader written all over him and has from day one. It would be a HUGE mistake to move him for any reason. Just my 2 cents.

As for others, I like a guy like Roy will gain interest at the deadline. I've liked his role on this club......well, when he's been dressed anyway. 1 million is a bit much when your a healthy scratch on most nights. I'd rather keep him and keep him on the third line, but that's me. I'm sure CP would rather have some Asian figure skater on the third line than Roy.

Leclair is a lock to go, I wish we could say the same for Gonchar.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,843
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:33 pm
Location: Toms River, NJ

Postby pfim on Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:55 pm

I would say that Leclair and Jackman are the two most likely to be dealt, I wouldn't be expecting a whole lot in return, though.

I think Jackman will be an NHL player for a while, I don't think he'll ever be a top 4 defenseman in the sense that he has no clue how to play defense. He's shown why the Pens wanted him, while at the same time showing why it only took Drake Berehowsky to get him.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,760
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:16 pm

NJ5934 wrote:I just don't get why Orpik's name keeps surfacing in "trade deadline" rumors.


Because there have long been rumors of management not caring much for him for off-ice reasons. Most of them trace back to his days under Glenn Patrick in Wilkes-Barre and how he was quoted about the lack of instruction.direction he was receiving.

True or not (I suspect it is), that's why he comes up in rumors. I personally think they'd be nuts to trade him this early in his career.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,346
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Postby Scott on Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:34 pm

I dont expect much if anything.

With the cap now in place, it is not like teams can just dump;load up their rosters heading into playoffs.

With the way the over the hill gang has performed, including the Olympics...players such as Tkachuk and the like, gonna be tough to deal those players.

LeClair does not bang bodies as he once did. D men used to cringe when he came down the wing. Every shift he would punish you. Doesnt do that anymore. Which renders him a 230# softee with no hands.

Recchi. I dont think he will leave becasue I think he actually wants to stay here.

Gonchar has been playing better and better. No need to trade him.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,920
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:11 am
Location: The Quick Stop roof playing hockey

Postby Defence21 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:55 pm

Scott wrote:I dont expect much if anything.

With the cap now in place, it is not like teams can just dump;load up their rosters heading into playoffs.

With the way the over the hill gang has performed, including the Olympics...players such as Tkachuk and the like, gonna be tough to deal those players.

LeClair does not bang bodies as he once did. D men used to cringe when he came down the wing. Every shift he would punish you. Doesnt do that anymore. Which renders him a 230# softee with no hands.

Recchi. I dont think he will leave becasue I think he actually wants to stay here.

Gonchar has been playing better and better. No need to trade him.


I agree with most of this, except for a few things.

1. The cap is in place, but it is likely to go up next season, plus many teams are well under the cap, allowing them to be able to afford 2 or 3 months worth of an average-sized contract. That doesn't mean they will, however.

2. I agree that the Olympics may have hurt some guys' values, but remember that the ice surface is bigger and the game has different rules. Some GM's might keep that in mind when trading. Still, hockey is hockey, and Tkachuk couldn't hit the net for anything.

3. Leclair doesn't bang as he once did, but he is still very solid in front of the net. He'd be a nice addition to a team's powerplay or 3rd line looking for a few more goals. No team will bring him in to be a top line player, though, meaning the return won't be anything worth noting.

4. I agree that Recchi wants to stay and that he probably will. However, if there is an offer out there that is pretty significant, the Pens have to trade him. They'd be stupid not to. You can say what you want about Patrick, but he's not going to keep a player that has no long-term future with this team if there is a good deal. Heck, he wouldn't even keep those types of players when there was no good deal available.

5. I agree 100% on Gonchar. If the Pens trade him, they'll regret it. He has been the best offensive defenseman over the last 6 years. He has hit a bump in the road this season. He's still on pace for more than 60 points. His defense is suspect, but everyone knew that when he was brought in. They need to get him a defensive partner who can cover for him. Simple as that.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,796
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Postby jdev28 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:18 pm

6. Lastly, guys like Rita, Cross, Endicott, Roy, Vandebnbussche, etc should all be shopped for utility players


These are utility players already. I'd hate to see time wasted moving these guys.
jdev28
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:06 pm
Location: the four one two


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

e-mail