Plan B to be brokered by NHL?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Plan B to be brokered by NHL?

Postby td_ice on Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:28 pm

WTAE TV news just reported that they have spoke to NHL official Bill Daly, (Bettman's right hand man, NHL vice president) about a PLAN B for the Pen's.

The report mentioned the fact that the Pen's have the IOC clause preventing them about speaking of a contingency Plan.

Then mentioned the sound bite of the Govenor yesterday talking about a PLAN B and it's difficulty w/o Pen's at the table.

So the reporter questioned the NHL and asked IF THEY COULD BROKER THE DEAL FOR THE PENS?

The response, in so many words was yes. They left the door open that Rendell could propose a deal and present it to the NHL, and the NHL would act on behalf of the Pen's.

Daly, "we could explore that possibility." The response was longer but the basis of it was that they would do that.

The next question was, if there are new owners, and the IOC does not get the slots license, would the new owners be bound by any PLAN B?

Daly said it would depend. Then he reiterated the fact the NHL's priority is to keep the team in Pittsburgh in a new arena that would have "favorable arrangements' in place.
Last edited by td_ice on Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:30 pm

A link...

WARNING: The following link contains a picture of Ed Rendell's fat head. You have been warned.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/spo ... etail.html
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby td_ice on Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:56 pm

td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:57 pm

Ah, this is fun. Now we get to watch Rendell and O'Connor try to come up with another excuse that is the Pens' fault. This whole idea is so novel that I bet they never thought it would come up.

The beauty of this is that they have been intimating all along that they've GOT a Plan B in mind, but it's the Pens fault that they can't work it out. Now, there is no escape hatch. They've got to produce, or their lie is exposed.

Plus, they won't be able to just say stupid lies and get away with them, regarding the negotiation process. Daly and the NHL people won't let them, I'm sure.

This whole thing really ratchets up the pressure on OConnor and Rendell beautifully.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby imau2fan on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:03 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:Ah, this is fun. Now we get to watch Rendell and O'Connor try to come up with another excuse that is the Pens' fault. This whole idea is so novel that I bet they never thought it would come up.

The beauty of this is that they have been intimating all along that they've GOT a Plan B in mind, but it's the Pens fault that they can't work it out. Now, there is no escape hatch. They've got to produce, or their lie is exposed.

Plus, they won't be able to just say stupid lies and get away with them, regarding the negotiation process. Daly and the NHL people won't let them, I'm sure.

This whole thing really ratchets up the pressure on OConnor and Rendell beautifully.

To be fair, at the end of that report, Rendell was quoted as saying his best option is to work with the NHL.

But then again, now that his bluff has been called here, what else can he say? You're right--this is just too rich. :D
imau2fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:11 pm

I'd like to know what IOC thinks of this development of the NHL acting on the behalf of the Penguins for a so-called "Plan B". I'm guessing they won't be happy with the Penguins at all if they did some backroom dealing with the NHL about the talks.

This definitely forces the 3 Amigos into a small corner with the NHL's response.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:17 pm

Maybe it helps IoC. If the 3 amigos, as you call them, look hard at the numbers and realize that maybe they can't afford to do the project for some reason, perhaps that makes Capri even more of a player.

On the other hand, if by reaching this same conclusion it makes Rendell realize that his buddies do have to pay for this if they get the license, then it doesn't help Capri at all, it just helps the arena process.

I am sure that one way or another, no matter what happens here, there are going to be lawsuits. There will be a lot of pissed off people no matter what the end result is.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:20 pm

Guys, I really do not think the 3 stooges have and agenda to get the Pens out of town. I truly believe they know they need the Pens to stay just where they are. They know they will risk not getting re-elected if the Pens leave town on their watch. Although I DO think they want their buds at SQ to get the license. I do not think they want to run the Pens out of town. This "Plan B" is a direct response to the unexpected pressure and heat they have found themselves under.

This new revelation about the NHL is truly great news for the future of this franchise.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:24 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:I am sure that one way or another, no matter what happens here, there are going to be lawsuits. There will be a lot of pissed off people no matter what the end result is.

I don't give **** one way or the other about the bruised egos that will result from this process. All I want is for the Pens to stay in the city they belong in...PITTSBURGH! However that gets done, I don't care. I'd even pay 8% sales tax if I had to to get it done.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Racer17 on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:24 pm

Does Mr. Daly have an email address for the fans to personally thank him for his efforts so far? I say we flood it.
Racer17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:50 pm

I don't care about anybody's feelings either. And, I agree that the 3 jerks would prefer the Pens not leave. However, I do believe that they will save FC's bid before they will save the Pens. If they can keep the Pens AND make sure that FC gets the license, that is their best case scenario. The Pens best case scenario is that Capri win the license.

I am in the camp that will be satisfied if the arena gets built, and the Pens stay in town. Everything else is gravy. However, if politics wins out and FC gets the license, even if the Pens stay I will have my say at the ballot box.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:19 pm

"It says right now, the governor thinks the best option appears to be his dealing directly with the NHL."

This last sentence is really good news. Very POSITIVE news for a change. Whether Randell likes it or not there is a loophope that exists and he is forced to explore it. Lets hope the NHL shows the cabbage to back up their words. L:ets also hope that Randell somehow keeps that cabbage within reason!
NIN

Postby Bowser on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:26 pm

Don't flood Daly's email box... I'm waiting for an interview response from him!!
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:49 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:I am in the camp that will be satisfied if the arena gets built, and the Pens stay in town. Everything else is gravy. However, if politics wins out and FC gets the license, even if the Pens stay I will have my say at the ballot box.

Me too, buddy. Me too!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:18 am

this is friggen beautiful. seriously. rendell and co. keep trying to twist things against the pens and things keep coming abck to bite them in the ass. I love it.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:21 am

the wicked child wrote:this is friggen beautiful. seriously. rendell and co. keep trying to twist things against the pens and things keep coming abck to bite them in the ass. I love it.

I wonder why they did'nt think of approaching the NHL first? Afterall, it's all they want to talk about. NHL deadline NHL deadline BLA BLAH.
NIN

Postby spi on Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:23 pm

So is anyone else concerned that a Flyer fan is at the helm of saving the Penguins chances of staying in the burgh?
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

well...

Postby penny lane on Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:32 pm

spi wrote:So is anyone else concerned that a Flyer fan is at the helm of saving the Penguins chances of staying in the burgh?

Fast - Eddie just can't wait for those conferernce finals
with pens/flyers...good for PA!

Fast Eddie is concered all now see his agenda exposed!
At one point I heard Rendell has hopes of a V.P. nomination.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:00 pm

This a new Video link called "The NHL closes Ranks..." looks like the league is reversing their position about negotiating a "Plan B" behind the Pens and IoC's back.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/new ... tail.html#
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins