BALSILLIE DROPS OUT....UN-F'ING BELIEVABLE....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Guins on Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:54 pm

Va Beach Pens Fan wrote:Take it for what it's worth, considering the source.... Let's hope he's dead on with this one....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=4287

BREAKING NEWS: Isles of Capris Likely to Get License

Today @ 12:43 PM ET | Comments (0)

according to a source...interesting twist.again this is just what I am hearing from a trusted source..no guarantees...if true, Happy Holidays Pittsburgh.
Great news if true, I'm not going to hold my breath coming from Eklund :roll: :roll:
Guins

Postby tjand72 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:59 pm

Is Isle of Capris a new women's clothing store?
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:03 pm

tjand72 wrote:Is Isle of Capris a new women's clothing store?

That's Aisles of Capris
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:03 pm

tjand72 wrote:Is Isle of Capris a new women's clothing store?

I hear it's where Malkin got his set he was wearing in LA.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guins on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:07 pm

This was said this morning by Joe Starkey and agreed with by John Steigerwald. And I agree with it also.Well there's 2 sources I'd believe :roll:
Guins

Postby mjg on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:09 pm

magnum wrote:
Guins wrote:
magnum wrote:I was listening to Dregger and MacKenzie and at the end of their little segment they said that Jerry Bruckheinmer was interested in buying the ens and moving them to Las Vegas before Balsillie stepped in... that's the first time I had heard of that one.
there will never repeat never be a team in Lost wages er Las Vegas

that's not what i was saying or asking, i wanted to know if anyone else had heard of jerry bruckheimer being interested

I had heard that a while ago.
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:19 pm

Guins wrote:This was said this morning by Joe Starkey and agreed with by John Steigerwald. And I agree with it also.Well there's 2 sources I'd believe :roll:

What did they say? That the Pens could go to Vegas? That Isle of Capri was getting the license? Or that Malkin buys his clothes at Aisles of Capris?
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guins on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:23 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:
Guins wrote:This was said this morning by Joe Starkey and agreed with by John Steigerwald. And I agree with it also.Well there's 2 sources I'd believe :roll:

What did they say? That the Pens could go to Vegas? That Isle of Capri was getting the license? Or that Malkin buys his clothes at Aisles of Capris?
All of the above :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guins

Postby magnum on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:30 pm

Take it for what it's worth, considering the source.... Let's hope he's dead on with this one....

according to a source...interesting twist.again this is just what I am hearing from a trusted source..no guarantees...if true, Happy Holidays Pittsburgh.

I dunno... this is bad news, considering that Eklund is never right
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mjg on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:31 pm

magnum wrote:
Take it for what it's worth, considering the source.... Let's hope he's dead on with this one....

I thought the same thing, but didn't want to be the first to bring up the point.
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guins on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:32 pm

magnum wrote:

look at the bright side even a broken clock is right twice a day :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:
Guins

Postby magnum on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:37 pm

Guins wrote:
magnum wrote:

look at the bright side even a broken clock is right twice a day :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:

I'm hoping that the one or first thing/time Eklund is right, it is about something as big as this
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:45 pm

Rex wrote:I think Balsillie has heard inside info that the Isle of Capris will not get the license, and word from Bettman is he will have to deal with Onorato, Ravenstahl and Plan B. And before he commits to forking over 175 mill, he wants to see Plan B in writing. Along with the NHL basically taking Balsillie's right to move, or threaten to move as his Plan B bargaining chip away with the last minute stipulations. . This was said this morning by Joe Starkey and agreed with by John Steigerwald. And I agree with it also.

OR...the only reasons he wanted the team were that he either got a free building (through IOC or hardball on plan B) and recent developments with the league proved to him that only one of these things was still possible (IOC winning).

The sale was going to be finalized before the IOC bid was approved or denied, and Balls would be left with a team that he paid $175M for. A $175M bid with no certainty that he had a new arena for free OR a team that was portable. The league has made it clear to him that the Pens are not moving, or that at worst the NHL would take over the team and hand-pick the new city themselves (worst case).

I don't think we can know whether this is more about Plan B OR if he just wanted to move the team period, but a lot will be revealed when the license is awarded. If IOC wins, and Balls doesn't jump back in, then he was most likely a lying piece of garbage that never wanted to stay.

If he does jump back in, then it was more about having his hand forced BEFORE he could have a real picture of what his team's future held.

One could argue the exact opposite of Rex's theory - that Balls has info that IOC will NOT win. Maybe he has heard that they will, and that was never what he wanted.

I personally think it was more about the timing of the closing, and he would prefer to risk losing the team on a re-opened bid process rather than be locked in before he knows the outcome of the License.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mjg on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:52 pm

The Snapshot wrote:One could argue the exact opposite of Rex's theory - that Balls has info that IOC will NOT win. Maybe he has heard that they will, and that was never what he wanted.

You'd like to think this, but, if true, he put on a pretty good show in favor of Isle of Capri against what he wanted.

The Snapshot wrote:I personally think it was more about the timing of the closing, and he would prefer to risk losing the team on a re-opened bid process rather than be locked in before he knows the outcome of the License.

I think this thought has a better shot at being the truth.
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Brode on Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:00 pm

If IoC does indeed win, I think Mario would almost be tempted to keep the team. A new arena would make this team break even guaranteed, and if we make the playoffs, we could spend to the cap. Pittsburgh does support a winner. Someone said something that made sense, that there are three markets... teams that support their team, teams that support a winner, and teams that don't support their team. And we fall in the higher part of the second.
Brode

Postby NeddieVedder on Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Hahahaha. At least I won't have to read his Malkin/Crosby as linemates whining threads anymore.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Fast B on Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:33 pm

...Wow. I guess this whole soap opera just wouldn't be complete without a completely nonsensical "Jew conspiracy" rant.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:35 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Pens win IOC, a new arena gets built, but thousands of fans boycott games in protest of an arena built close to the Hill District.

This is possible, what with the great distance between the current arena and the Hill District.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tjand72 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:35 pm

Thanks Spoink,
I was just absolved of my faces of evil post.
Last edited by tjand72 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby magnum on Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:41 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Pens win IOC, a new arena gets built, but thousands of fans boycott games in protest of an arena built close to the Hill District.

This is possible, what with the great distance between the current arena and the Hill District.

Only possible if Hill District residences boycotted the games since they'd be the only ones who'd care and last I checked around the arena on game days, there's not too many people from the Hill District who attend Pens games... Oh yeah and Barden would have to pay them a handsome sum to do this of course.
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:44 pm

magnum wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:

Only possible if Hill District residences boycotted the games since they'd be the only ones who'd care and last I checked around the arena on game days, there's not too many people from the Hill District who attend Pens games... Oh yeah and Barden would have to pay them a handsome sum to do this of course.

Right, my point being that if people were going to boycott the team because of the ARENA being built close to the Hill District, the team would probably already have left Pittsburgh because, you know, they play in an arena built close to the Hill District.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nexguy66 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:46 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Pens win IOC, a new arena gets built, but thousands of fans boycott games in protest of an arena built close to the Hill District. Capacity is only 50%, and the Pens are losing more money than they did in Mellon Arena.

Pens fans boycott? As in.. NOT come to games in a new arena to see Sid and Malkin battle in the scoring race? Yea... that'll happen
nexguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:22 pm

Spoink is right, they got us by the nessmins...(any South Park watchers?)

It is pretty cool that Mel Gibson frequents the board...and I'm sure it's 5 o'clock somewhere Mel, don't worry, we'll cover for ya...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Three Stars on Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:32 pm

They just leaked the new logo.

Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Draftnik on Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:35 pm

Here is one other thought I had. I think the Pens are staying but Balsillie wanted to move them to Toronto if IoC loses and Plan B doesn't materialize. There is no way the other NHL owners were going to let him get the Pens in Toronto without all the other 20 something owners getting a taste.

The rumors about the NHL taking over the Pens if Plan B fails make sense if you look at what MLB did with les Expos. They bought them for $90M/180M or somewhere in between and ran them for a few years. Then they put them on the block and sold them for $300M-$400M?. It was basically the same thing as an expansion scenario.

I'm not saying the NHL isn't committed to keeping the Pens in Pittsburgh, but their actions clearly indicate they were 100% committed to keeping JB out of Toronto.

It would make more sense for the NHL to buy a team like Nashville for example from Craig Leopold for $125M then resell it to a Toronto expansion owner with $150-$200M going to the other 28 NHL teams, $50-$100M going to MLSE, and the new Toronto team (placed in the Western Conference) playing at the ACC and broadcasting their games on Leafs TV so MLSE gets even more $$$, kind of like Angelos was placated with the Nats TV rights on MASN.

I don't think this will happen with the Pens since MLSE would not want Crosby in their market on another team but I think it will happen with a US based team within the next 5 years.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins