Malkin suspended for Semifinal

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Malkin suspended for Semifinal

Postby saveourpens on Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:25 pm

saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:43 pm

Wow. I wonder if he will try and carve up the refs after a bad call ...IF he ever makes it to the NHL.

Seriously,
Malkin is a zero.

That is a Bertuzzi Psycho move.
What a joke.
Just what we need. Another punk kid who makes Sidney and his antics look like a saint.

I hope the Commander Kovalev kicks his ass.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf on Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:51 pm

Wow. I wonder if he will try and carve up the refs after a bad call ...IF he ever makes it to the NHL.

Seriously,
Malkin is a zero.

What a joke.
Just what we need. Another punk kid who makes Sidney and his antics look like a saint.

Your post was a joke.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Scott on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:07 pm

topshelf wrote:

Seriously,
Malkin is a zero.

What a joke.

Your post was a joke.

REALLY?
Are you applauding this classless immature act? Must be.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:14 pm

Wow...

Let's compare something that bordered on assault and broke a player's neck to an ATTEMPTED (which means it didn't connect) kicking incident that was apparently SOOOOO egregious it hadn't even been mentioned in the Canadian Press recaps of the game.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Olympics/2006 ... 96-cp.html

If this thing was so bad, surely the Canadian media would've been all over it, especially since the game and the offense was against their team.

I'm not defending what Malkin did. By all accounts, it was a passionate and emotional game, and you need to keep your emotions in check. Malkin doesn't shy away from contact, but he's not known to be a headcase or a loose cannon. So to compare what he did to what Bertuzzi did to Moore smacks of lunacy. Give me a break.

And I'm sorry, but "IF he ever makes it to the NHL"? Get a clue, Scooter. I know the hip thing to do among all the kids these days is to take a contrarian point of view, no matter how illogical it might be. But if you're going to do it, pick and choose your spots. That was it'll at least look like you MIGHT know what you're talking about.

Malkin is widely regarded by hockey minds far greater than yours or mine as the best player in the world not currently in the NHL. He's got six points in a tournament (just as many as your boy Kovalev) that is the closest he's seen to NHL-caliber competition. He's routinely been hailed as one of the best players on the ice for the Russian team. He's held his own and then some in this tournament, and five years from now, when he and Crosby are carrying a Stanley Cup around the ice in our new arena, you'll be right there cheering him on.

Don't lie. You know you will.
Last edited by Stoosh on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jdev28 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:14 pm

I saw what Malkin did. It wasn't as bad as its made out to be really. I don't think the NHL would've suspended him.
jdev28
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:15 pm

Scott wrote:Seriously,
Malkin is a zero.

How can you make this kind of judgement about the play? You must have a magical TV feed that you got to see the whole play after the whistle.

Sure it's ok to not agree with the play. However, to make this broad of a statement is ridiculous. How many other Malkin games have you watched? In those games, how many dirty plays has he made?

If the passion of the game doesn't get to a player now and again, I don't want him on my team. Whether that's the case in this situation or not, I'm not sure where the Bertuzzi comparison even warrants being commented on. Give us a break.
Last edited by Vanbiesbrouck on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:16 pm

I want to see some replays of this. I never said him kick..... He tackled him, but I never saw a kick :(
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Draftnik on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:20 pm

Bertuzzi committed a premeditated assault and was convicted of that crime in a court of law. The comparison to Malkin's alleged act is nonsensical.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:20 pm

Scott wrote:Wow. I wonder if he will try and carve up the refs after a bad call ...IF he ever makes it to the NHL.

Seriously,
Malkin is a zero.

What a joke.

Well, it's now official. I can ignore everything posted by you because you haven't the least bit of understanding of the game of hockey. Thanks for allowing me to realize that my time will be totally wasted reading anything you post. Too bad this software doesn't have a filter to allow me to not even display posts by people like you.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:25 pm

Not to be board police or anything, but this was already being discussed in the Olympics forum: http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... .php?t=817

The suspension is mentioned in the 5th post. Links to IIHF rules as well as a video clip are also present in the thread if anyone is interested.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:36 pm

jdev28 wrote:I saw what Malkin did. It wasn't as bad as its made out to be really. I don't think the NHL would've suspended him.

Where did you see it? Not doubting you, just curious. The replays I saw during the game all cut away after the two of them fell to the ice. The attempted kick occurred as they were being pulled apart from what I heard.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

E Malkin rooming with Darius...

Postby penny lane on Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:19 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Scott wrote:Wow. I wonder if he will try and carve up the refs after a bad call ...IF he ever makes it to the NHL.

Seriously,
Malkin is a zero.

What a joke.

Well, it's now official. I can ignore everything posted by you because you haven't the least bit of understanding of the game of hockey. Thanks for allowing me to realize that my time will be totally wasted reading anything you post. Too bad this software doesn't have a filter to allow me to not even display posts by people like you.

:( woe is me...E Malkin is a hockey psycho & Sidney has a trashy
mouth! we're doomed! :wink:
This suspension in the olympics, a game leading towards a possible
gold medal will last long with Malkin.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MariosMilitia on Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:41 pm

Does anyone have a video link of this.
MariosMilitia

Postby topshelf on Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:22 pm

REALLY?

I'm not applauding Malkin, I'm 'booing' your over reaction. As mentioned, Malkin never connected with Vinny, and it wasn't like he was aiming for his face. To compare this to the Bertuzzi incident is comical. Evgeni is young and was playing in a HIGHLY emotional game. He's not going to possess the composure that, say, Kovalev has in those situations. If this incident is enough to make you think Malkin is a bum, find a new team to follow.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:39 pm

Seriously,
Malkin is a zero.

What a joke.

Scott, you've obviously 1) Never played Hockey 2) not viewed the 'kick' in question 3) been the receipient of a Bertuzzi type thugging yourself which has forever clouded your judgement.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Ben Klingston on Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:43 pm

topshelf wrote:
REALLY?

I'm not applauding Malkin, I'm 'booing' your over reaction. As mentioned, Malkin never connected with Vinny, and it wasn't like he was aiming for his face. To compare this to the Bertuzzi incident is comical. Evgeni is young and was playing in a HIGHLY emotional game. He's not going to possess the composure that, say, Kovalev has in those situations. If this incident is enough to make you think Malkin is a bum, find a new team to follow.

What he didn't shouldn't even be described as a 'kick'. He raised his knee/calf to hip level, in my opinion, to gain leverage and take down Vinny. It was more of a 'body slam' than it was a kick. It was a penalty, don't get me wrong. I might even buy a roughing major. But it was most certainly not a kick. No way. No how.

I smell sour grapes from Canadia.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:16 pm

What he didn't shouldn't even be described as a 'kick'. He raised his knee/calf to hip level, in my opinion, to gain leverage and take down Vinny. It was more of a 'body slam' than it was a kick. It was a penalty, don't get me wrong. I might even buy a roughing major. But it was most certainly not a kick. No way. No how.

I smell sour grapes from Canadia.

I was watching it live and never saw any sort of kick. I didn't even know the 'kick' term was involved until I saw Vinny make the kick motion to the refs. Indeed, sour grapes is the culprit.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Scott on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:24 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:

Seriously,
Malkin is a zero.

What a joke.

No worries Mike. I just got back from a game,,coaching squirts. By the way, I probably spend more time on the ice in a day than you do in a year.

Secondly, it is not about camparing the result of Bertuzzi's action,,it is in fact comparing a what if. Kicking with your BLADE, regardless of the angle is SICK!. Connect or not...it is sick.

If Malkin is this immature during the Olympics, wait till he really gets picked on in the NHL..by players and officials.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ashamed87 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:26 pm

Where was said kick? I failed to see anything more than his leg lift. In the overhead view you can even see his skate make contact with Kasper....I dont get it.....

I there was no kick....you must aqquit =/
Ashamed87

Postby Ashamed87 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:27 pm

Uh scott you sure you dont ref? Cuz you certinally need glasses...
Ashamed87

Postby Scott on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:30 pm

topshelf wrote:
REALLY?

Again, it is not copmparing the result. It is comparing the thought he had to kick with his skate on.

With what you just said, Malkin's move was not so bad since he wasnt TRYING to slice his face.

I guess we will start letting people go who shoot and miss at people, only if they arent aiming for the chest or head.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:53 pm

Scott wrote:
topshelf wrote:
REALLY?

Again, it is not copmparing the result. It is comparing the thought he had to kick with his skate on.

With what you just said, Malkin's move was not so bad since he wasnt TRYING to slice his face.

I guess we will start letting people go who shoot and miss at people, only if they arent aiming for the chest or head.

lol
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Draftnik on Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:24 pm

Scott wrote:Secondly, it is not about camparing the result of Bertuzzi's action,,it is in fact comparing a what if. Kicking with your BLADE, regardless of the angle is SICK!. Connect or not...it is sick.

If Malkin is this immature during the Olympics, wait till he really gets picked on in the NHL..by players and officials.

TSN showed the replay tonight with a spot shadow. Lecavalier was pushing down on Malkin as he was getting up off his prone body. Malkin raised his leg to try and get Lecavalier off him and as a reaction to Lecavalier pushing down on his leg/hip. He was reacting to Lecavalier's display of poor sportsmanship. It is never appropriate to push down on your opponent as a player is getting up off the ice, court, field, etc. Malkin was wrong for doing it, but it hardly was a malicious act.

Bertuzzi is a convicted criminal that has disgraced the game of hockey many times and has no respect for opponents. His premeditated thuggery is one of the all time lows in NHL history. Bertuzzi's actions are entirely different from Malkin, Maki/Green, McSorely, etc because he wasn't reacting in the heat of battle. That is why Bertuzzi will always be a stain on the NHL. It was beautiful to see the convicted criminal add no value whatsoever to his national team and take the penalty that resulted in his country getting knocked out.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:44 pm

Scott wrote:...IF he ever makes it to the NHL.

You've made it clear by this statement that you haven't watched any of Malkin's EL games, and thus are making judgement off of one play that you saw in an Olympic game. If I'm wrong, please post the game and time of another "Bertuzzi Psycho move" that Malkin displayed. Maybe your squirt team should be a bit concerned if this is an example of your recognition of talent.

Scott wrote: Just what we need.

I agree. Someone who is willing to battle in front of the net and stick up for himself is what the Penguins need. Well said, Scott.

Scott wrote: it is not about camparing the result of Bertuzzi's action,,it is in fact comparing a what if.

The replay clearly shows Lecavalier skating away from Malkin, and Malkin comes up from behind and clearly kicks towards his face, with the intent to injure Lecavalier. Oh, wait? What? Lecavalier pulled him down first? And they were battling in front of the net? Hmm. Yeah, that's probably still the same thing as sucker punching someone from behind and driving their face into the ice.

This Bertuzzi comparison is laughable at best, regardless of your argument about the 'result of the action.' Give me a break.

Steve Moore probably disagrees that the situations were similar.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins