Question about line combos over the years

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Question about line combos over the years

Postby NeddieVedder on Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:45 pm

Sup dudes. I've been playing some old EA NHL by-year video games and was trying to remember the line combinations we've used over the years. I realize the groups are always static and changing but I'm looking for a majority-of-the-time or playoffs perspective.

'00-01
1: Hrdina, Lemieux, Jagr
2: Straka, Lang, Kovalev
3: Stevens, Primeau, Morozov (high-five)
4: some combo of Corbet, Kraft, LaCouture, Beranek
D: Kasparaitis, Moran
D: Bougher, Laukkanen
D: Ference, Bergevin/Jonsson

Also, what was that crazy-clicking power play in '02 when Tarnstrom arrived until he got hurt? Lemieux, Hrdina, Kovalev, Tarnstrom, Morozov?

'98-00
Post-Francis I know that Jagr's frequent caddies were Hrdina and Kip Miller, but didn't he also spend time with Straka and maybe Titov? Lang and Kovalev were the other top forwards but hadn't broken out yet.
I seem to remember Barnaby, Rob Brown, and Tyler Wright making for an undersized but feisty line. The D had Kaspar, Hatcher, Slegr, Werenka, and brief forays with Dollas, Popovic, etc.

'97-98
Francis and Jagr were with Barnes. Lang and Morozov showed up, Straka and Rob Brown returned. That's pretty much all I remember. And this was our highest point team after Mario's retirement.

'96-97
1: Lemieux, Francis, Jagr (went on a tear but then split up)
2: Nedved, Olczyk, no idea (I think they went back to Nedved/Francis/Jagr and had Mario with Edzo and, god, Beranek?)
3: assorted Barnes, Hicks, Dziedzic, G.Johnson, Mullen
D: Kasparaitis, Hatcher
D: Woolley, Olausson
D: Tamer, Wilkinson

'95-'96
1a: Nedved, Francis, Jagr
1b (Smolinski? Ke.Miller?), Lemieux, Sandstrom
Don't remember the D, just the Lemieux/Nedved/Jagr/Francis/Zubov power play.

Cup Years and aftermath
I'm too young to remember and I can't discern it just by watching retrospectives. I mean, I remember who was on the teams, obviously, but all I know is Lemieux was with Stevens and Tocchet after Rick was acquired. Process of elimination would lead me to guess that Mullen, Francis, and Jagr were on the second line and Trottier centered the third. Then you've got your Bourques, Erreys, Loneys, etc. Not sure if Murphy and Ulf were paired or who Recchi and Coffey played with the first year.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sleestak on Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:33 pm

I gotta say the "Straka, Lang, Kovalev" is probably my favorites!
Sleestak
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:11 pm

The D in 95-96 was Tamer-Zubov, and then some combination of, watch out, this is going to be painful, Mironov, Daigneault, Moran, MacIver, Wilkinson, Leroux and Foster. Mironov-MacIver played a lot together I believe. Wilkinson was injured or eating Nachos in the press box most of the time. What a putrid D, except for Zubie, of course. Oh, and Berehowsky, Bergkvist and Peter Allen (huh?) played a few games.

I think Smolinski centered the third line with Murray and Roche, while Naslund played on Mario's left before he was traded to be replaced with Kevin Miller.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Scott on Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:21 pm

the top forward line for nhl 94 and nhl 95

was Stevens Lemieux Jagr
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jamie on Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:12 pm

Randy Robitaille, and Kip Miller also saw alot of time on the forward lines. I forget what year(s).
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jwit on Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:14 pm

On the subject of Ea sports, my kids pulled out nhl 2002 and started playing. I have updated the rosters,but does anyone know where to find other old pens jersey patches or old rosters (classic pens teams)that can be downloaded and patched in ?
jwit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NeddieVedder on Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:13 am

Aw heck, I'm going to have to post this at the PittsburghLive board too.

The D in 95-96 was Tamer-Zubov, and then some combination of, watch out, this is going to be painful, Mironov, Daigneault, Moran, MacIver, Wilkinson, Leroux and Foster. Mironov-MacIver played a lot together I believe. Wilkinson was injured or eating Nachos in the press box most of the time.

This all rings a bell, although I was thinking Mironov and Zubov were playing together, which makes no sense. Thanks.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Stevens25 on Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:26 am

The Lemieux-Stevens-Tocchet line from 1992-94 was the best line in Pens history. My god,those guys were good! 8)
Stevens25

Postby NeddieVedder on Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:50 am

Stevens25 wrote:The Lemieux-Stevens-Tocchet line from 1992-94 was the best line in Pens history. My god,those guys were good! 8)

Alright, so that was a definite for the entire Tocchet run? and Recchi was on the line before he was traded for Tocchet?

And I've gotten two different answers about the second line. One saying that it was Mullen, Francis, and Jagr; the other saying it was Mullen, Francis, and Bob Errey, and that Jagr was on the third line his rookie year with Trottier and Loney. This could just be someone confusing the two different years, or both being right at different times.

I'm also excited to have completed a few of these, through Google, looking at box scores, etc. Any corrections would be welcome.

2000-01
F1 Jan Hrdina, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr
F2 Martin Straka, Robert Lang, Alexei Kovalev
F3 Kevin Stevens, Wayne Primeau, Aleksey Morozov
F4 Rene Corbet, Milan Kraft, Josef Beranek
D1 Darius Kasparaitis, Ian Moran
D2 Janne Laukkanen, Bob Boughner
D3 Hans Jonsson/Marc Bergevin, Andrew Ference
G Johan Hedberg, Jean-Sebastian Aubin

These ones I am certain of. Hrdina and Stevens were switched back and forth a few times. I don't know the order for the D so I usually just list Kasparaitis first.

1999-00
F1 Martin Straka, Jan Hrdina, Jaromir Jagr
F2 Josef Beranek, Robert Lang, Alexei Kovalev
F3 Rene Corbet, Tyler Wright, Matthew Barnaby
F4 Rob Brown, Ian Moran, Pat Falloon/Alexei Morozov
D1 Darius Kasparaitis, Jiri Slegr
D2 Janne Laukkanen, Bob Boughner
D3 Hans Jonsson, Peter Popovic
G Ron Tugnutt, Jean-Sebastian Aubin

I couldn't bear to list Beranek on the top line so I went with the lineup after Brooks switched he and Straka to spark Jagr. The fourth line is guesswork because I can't see Moran centering, but I remember Falloon in there.

1998-99
F1 Kip Miller, Jan Hrdina, Jaromir Jagr
F2 German Titov, Martin Straka, Alexei Kovalev
F3 Rob Brown, Robert Lang, Matthew Barnaby
F4 Dan Kesa, Tyler Wright, Alexei Morozov
D1 Darius Kasparaitis, Kevin Hatcher
D2 Brad Werenka, Jiri Slegr
D3 Bobby Dollas, Ian Moran
G Tom Barrasso, Petr Skudra

This one is hard to come up with anything concrete for since Kaspar missed half the year including the playoffs. I listed him anyway in lieu of including Greg Andrusak. The playoff lineup was constantly shuffled due to injuries to Jagr and others. I think the first and second lines were somewhat consistent though.

1997-98
F1 Stu Barnes, Ron Francis, Jaromir Jagr
F2 Rob Brown, Martin Straka, Ed Olczyk
F3 Alex Hicks, Robert Lang, Alexei Morozov
F4 Andreas Johansson, Tyler Wright, Ian Moran
D2 Jiri Slegr, Fredrik Olausson
D3 Brad Werenka, Chris Tamer
G Tom Barrasso, Petr Skudra

Outside of the first line and Straka centering the second, this is all guesswork.

1996-97
F1 Mario Lemieux, Ron Francis, Jaromir Jagr
F2 Josef Beranek, Petr Nedved, Ed Olczyk
F3 Alex Hicks, Stu Barnes, Greg Johnson
F4 Joe Dziedzic, Ian Moran, Joe Mullen
D2 Jason Woolley, Fredrik Olausson
D3 Chris Tamer, Neil Wilkinson/Craig Muni
G Patrick Lalime, Ken Wregget

I preferred to go with Lemieux, Francis, and Jagr together even if it wasn't permanent, since their run as a unit was the best part of this season. I also remember the nickname for the 2nd line as Czech, Czech, and Ol Czyk.

1995-96
F1 Petr Nedved, Ron Francis, Jaromir Jagr
F2 Kevin Miller, Mario Lemieux, Tomas Sandstrom
F3 Joe Dziedzic, Bryan Smolinski, Glen Murray
D1 Chris Tamer, Sergei Zubov
D2 J.J. Daigneault, Dmitri Mironov
D3 Francois Leroux, Neil Wilkinson/Chris Joseph
G Ken Wregget, Tom Barrasso

Listing Mario on the second line feels weird. I listed Wregget ahead of Barrasso due to his playoff magic.

Anything you remember pre-95, especially the Cup teams, would be appreciated.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins