possibility of dealing Malkin??

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

possibility of dealing Malkin??

Postby puckeye on Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:27 pm

Interesting thoughts by Eklund today on whispers about the Pens may get a “A Lindros-esque bidding war going for Malkin at the deadline.â€￾

By no means am I promoting his blogs and I agree that most of his rumors are crap but may be of interest to all.

http://hockeybuzz.com/eblog/Default.aspx

I apologize if already posted but did not see anything on a quick search.
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf on Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:40 pm

Oh Eklund... you wealth of knowledge.

Trading Malkin would be such a mistake.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:52 pm

This is so non-sensical. First, why would teams get in a bidding war at THIS trade deadline? Malkin's not going to play in the NHL until next season. Why would a team give up anything that could hurt their run at the Cup now when they could just trade for him in the summer?

The logic that the Pens can't keep both Crosby and Malkin long-term may be sound... but that's not an issue for quite a while. Why would we trade Malkin NOW when we can get years of great hockey out of him at a small price while he's young? If the Pens ever trade Malkin because they can't fit him into the cap, they're going to do it down the road when it's really an issue.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby spi on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:00 pm

I just puked in my mouth when I read that. There is no way and no reason for the pens to do this. If they traded him now, they would be adding several million dollars to the payroll instantly vs having Malkin for a few years at a discounting rookie maximum
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:04 pm

What, they're not trying to package Fleury with Malkin? :roll:

If it makes no sense whatsoever, Eklund is on it.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jamie on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:22 pm

SHHHH!!! I am just whispering. But Eklund, step away from the pipe. I repeat, step away from the pipe. No way do the PENS deal Malkin right now. It may come to that in the future, but it will not be in the near future.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:22 pm

Henry Hank wrote:The logic that the Pens can't keep both Crosby and Malkin long-term may be sound one.

I don't necessarily agree with that assessment for Malkin/Crosby. I think the fact that their contracts start in consecutive years is the key. The salaries will start about the same and likely move up about the same. The Pens will always be a team that has plenty of cap room, in my opinion, and the cap will go up enough to give Crosby his raise, then Malkin his raise.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Reilly on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:27 pm

Of course there's a line of teams willing to make "lindros-like" trades for a player who might not even be able to come to US next season. :roll:
Reilly

Postby wondermoose on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:36 pm

The only trade involving Malkin would have to include taking Gonchar with him. It's the only way it would be somewhat fair.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:36 pm

Daniel wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:The logic that the Pens can't keep both Crosby and Malkin long-term may be sound one.

I don't necessarily agree with that assessment for Malkin/Crosby. I think the fact that their contracts start in consecutive years is the key. The salaries will start about the same and likely move up about the same. The Pens will always be a team that has plenty of cap room, in my opinion, and the cap will go up enough to give Crosby his raise, then Malkin his raise.

But there's still going to be a point in which they're both making a lot of cash, possibly the max salary. In a cap system, that's hard for a team to do, especially when Fleury's another important piece that we probably should try to keep as long as possible.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jjwags on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:37 pm

If another team with a bit more finances that are willing and capable of spending a crap load of money to get Malkin out of his current Russian contract.
Package Malkin with Gonchar.
This would be a good reason if the Pens actually would deal him.

They would get a good amount in return if CP is on his game.
Don’t get me wrong I would rather have Malkin a Penguin
jjwags
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:20 pm

Henry Hank wrote:But there's still going to be a point in which they're both making a lot of cash, possibly the max salary. In a cap system, that's hard for a team to do, especially when Fleury's another important piece that we probably should try to keep as long as possible.

I understand where you are coming from. It would be easier if we had the math to work with.

If you think about it, Fleury will be a UFA one year and get the max. Crosby will be a UFA the next year and get the max, while the cap goes up accordingly. Malkin will be a UFA the follow year with the cap going up.

Now, for the Pens, it might be a problem, but in theory all 3 should be able to fit under the cap with plenty of room for a roster.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:13 pm

If we dont trade his rights, and for some reason a deal does not get worked out for him to come here, then we may not get anything for him. I think 2008 season he can re-enter the draft. :(

If we trade his rights and he comes over here next year it might be a hot poker in the eye.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:15 pm

Daniel wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:But there's still going to be a point in which they're both making a lot of cash, possibly the max salary. In a cap system, that's hard for a team to do, especially when Fleury's another important piece that we probably should try to keep as long as possible.

I understand where you are coming from. It would be easier if we had the math to work with.

If you think about it, Fleury will be a UFA one year and get the max. Crosby will be a UFA the next year and get the max, while the cap goes up accordingly. Malkin will be a UFA the follow year with the cap going up.

Now, for the Pens, it might be a problem, but in theory all 3 should be able to fit under the cap with plenty of room for a roster.

MAF is not going to get max money first UFA time. No way. Brodeur didnt get max money even after a couple cup wins.

Sidney will be close as he will start putting up some sick numbers.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:28 pm

Scott wrote:MAF is not going to get max money first UFA time. No way. Brodeur didnt get max money even after a couple cup wins. Sidney will be close as he will start putting up some sick numbers.

I agree, just using the worst case on each player. The biggest point is that each will be UFAs in consecutive years. That will not make the Pens have to sign Malkin and Crosby at the same time. It is the one good thing about Malkin not coming over this year.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

spoiler

Postby NIN on Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:13 pm

Malkin was missed by Russia. Faceoffs,PK,PP, backchecking....

Players like Malkin are kept, not traded, not for anything or anyone. It's fine to entertain offers but at the end of the day you have to remind yourself that, "we wont be better without Malkin on the ice". PERIOD.
NIN

re

Postby alain blanc on Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:41 am

Lindros's Trade was a good things for the nordiques/Avalanche, but Malkin is a very very good young player, and i hope i will play with Crosby, Malkin at the center Crosby on the LW 8) I dream of that.
And with the cap a trade like the lindros trade means impossible or difficult, because trade one or two players for three or four.... :?
(Sorry for my english i'm a french's PENS fan)
alain blanc

Postby Bowser on Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:24 am

There's just no way any team in the NHL can afford the price it would take to acquire Malkin. Whoever is passing the information to Eklund is playing games.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Ashamed87 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:49 pm

I may be incorrect but didnt lindross "Eli Manning" it and demand that trade anyway?
Ashamed87

Postby Mad City Mike on Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:25 pm

Henry Hank wrote:First, why would teams get in a bidding war at THIS trade deadline? Malkin's not going to play in the NHL until next season. Why would a team give up anything that could hurt their run at the Cup now when they could just trade for him in the summer?

It would make no sense for a team to do it at the deadline. But it would make sense for Patrick to start a bidding war over the summer. I would not rule out the possibility of this happening. I would rule out the possibility of Patrick being smart enough to make a good trade.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins