Deadline speculation per TSN...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Deadline speculation per TSN...

Postby Mountaineer on Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:45 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=156075&hubname=nhl

It's that time of the year, Pens fans. This is the last thing that we'll have to look forward to until the draft.

I would be very surprised if CP didn't move either Recchi or Leclair (more likely Leclair), and while his season has been pretty much a bust, I think Jackman could at least get the Pens a prospect. Recchi to Philly would make sense, and I could even see Leclair returning there for power play duties. Wishful thinking on my part, but it would be great to have R.J. Umberger in Pittsburgh...
Mountaineer

Re: Deadline speculation per TSN...

Postby Defence21 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:43 pm

Mountaineer wrote:...it would be great to have R.J. Umberger in Pittsburgh...

Sure would, but only if Malone shifts back to wing and Christensen shifts to wing. I don't see the Pens having much room for centers right now with Crosby and Malkin manning the top 2 units. Malone has played very well recently, and I don't think it's a coincidence that it started when he shifted to center. And, if he doesn't work, Christensen is in the waiting, as is Talbot.

But, hey, if they could get Umberger, which is very unlikely, you won't see me complaining!
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:51 pm

Wishful thinking, Umberger is as effective now as a rookie as any "veteran" we could possibly send Philly's way. CP had his chance with RJ and took the "Robert Lang" route. Now that Tarnstrom is gone (as Rita and Cross are soon to be) I can't see moving Jackman. Not unless the Pens are planning on picking someone else via UFA this offseason.

I'm sure Leclair will be moved, he's probably begged to be. Judging by the outcome of any deal CP has made in the past two years I wouldn't expect much. Recchi could get us a legit prospect or a pick, but I think he wants to stay. It would take half a miracle to find Gonchar a new home, so I'm crossing my fingers.

I think the sleeper here is Roy. I like him, I like him even more when he's dressed EVERY night and playing on the 3rd line. Someone far above me does not agree, and like Matt Barnaby he has not been used effectively on this team. I think he has alot of what playoff bound teams will be looking for. I'd rather see him stay, but........what the hell do I know.

My guess, Leclair and Roy get moved for (2) conditional draft picks.

Here's hoping for alittle luck in June and for a new home for Mr. Patrick, his time has passed.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:57 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Wishful thinking, Umberger is as effective now as a rookie as any "veteran" we could possibly send Philly's way. CP had his chance with RJ and took the "Robert Lang" route. Now that Tarnstrom is gone (as Rita and Cross are soon to be) I can't see moving Jackman. Not unless the Pens are planning on picking someone else via UFA this offseason.

I'm sure Leclair will be moved, he's probably begged to be. Judging by the outcome of any deal CP has made in the past two years I wouldn't expect much. Recchi could get us a legit prospect or a pick, but I think he wants to stay. It would take half a miracle to find Gonchar a new home, so I'm crossing my fingers.

I think the sleeper here is Roy. I like him, I like him even more when he's dressed EVERY night and playing on the 3rd line. Someone far above me does not agree, and like Matt Barnaby he has not been used effectively on this team. I think he has alot of what playoff bound teams will be looking for. I'd rather see him stay, but........what the hell do I know.

My guess, Leclair and Roy get moved for (2) conditional draft picks.

Here's hoping for alittle luck in June and for a new home for Mr. Patrick, his time has passed.

Good call on Roy, he is a servicable player who can add toughness to a contender like Buffalo for example. I don't expect much from CP and perhaps the feweer the moves the better considering his recent track record.
NIN

re

Postby alain blanc on Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:46 am

I hope Recchi will be stay in the steel city he is a great guy and a great exemple for th young players!!
Leclair must be trade for some pick (3 or 4) Roy too, but for us that will be a difficult trade line we won't have some good trade... :cry:
(sorry for my englis i'm a french's PENS fan)
alain blanc

Postby Peter on Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:14 am

Alain, I like recchi too, he hops like a bunny. But he is becoming less popular here in Pittsburgh. People feel he is getting old and doesn't play well anymore. I disagree, but such is life.

I work with someone named Alain. I know you care. He teaches Latin, not French, but he's definately French.
Peter

re

Postby alain blanc on Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:37 am

he is becoming less popular here in Pittsburgh
really i wasn't know about it...
And alain blanc is not my real name, my name is Basile :wink:
alain blanc

Postby DelPen on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:55 am

We can forget Umberger. He's the kind of player you trade FOR if you are the Flyers. Relatively chepa, young and a top 6 forward. We are only going to get late picks, busts or other people's contract problems at the deadline.

The only players I see of some value to a team looking for depth for the playoffs are Recchi, Leclair, Jackman and Melichar since none of them are in our future plans and all of them can still play at the NHL level provided they are on good teams.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

re

Postby alain blanc on Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:20 am

like i said before i hope Recchi will stay in the steel city, for Leclair Jackman Melichar i am ok but the problem is to trade them for what...?
Leclair do some good game before the olympic Therrien said he is good now he is a leader, so why not keep him for his leadership?
Why not trade Caron because Fleury is now the number 1, and Chiodo or sabourin could be a number 2 (remenber Chiodo in 2004)and we can have a better draft pick or a good player.
Other possibility to dealt our number 1 draft pick...?
And i hope too we will do a better free agent sign!
(sorry for my english :wink: )
alain blanc

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:29 am

I think winning the draft lottery could be more of a blessing than most think at this point. I say that because I'm not too high on Kessel. If anyone in the Pens organization feels the same we could end up with a pretty good player in exchange for trading down a slot or two...... then picking Staal. Theoretically anyway.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

re

Postby alain blanc on Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:39 am

Kessel isn't yet the number 1 don't forget Erik Johnson, this guy is a very good defensemanand we need guy like him!!!
(sorry for my english :? )
alain blanc

Postby Bowser on Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:02 pm

I don't think the Penguins will draft Erik Johnson because he's going to Minnesota next year and probably needs 3-4 years. I think Kessel will jump to the NHL if given the opportunity.

The Penguins have a GREAT knowledge base on Kessel because Chuck Grillo has seen this kid for years. Kessel is also a teammate with Goligoski at Minnesota, Grillo's home state.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Pens trade block

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:39 pm

my trade block :
LeClair or Recchi (not both) ; Melichar ; Cross, Cairns, Rita, Odelein,
Caron, Koltsov, Endicott, RVB....
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:09 pm

NJ5934 wrote:I think winning the draft lottery could be more of a blessing than most think at this point. I say that because I'm not too high on Kessel. If anyone in the Pens organization feels the same we could end up with a pretty good player in exchange for trading down a slot or two...... then picking Staal. Theoretically anyway.

Mark it down...Eric Johnson will go #1 overall. If the Pens happen to land the #1, they would be very smart to trade that pick for a player or two and a swap of #1 picks. We do not need another stud d-man no matter what anyone says. We have Crosby, Malkin, Orpik, Whitney, Welch and Fleury to build this team out. Time is ripe to trade our #1 for 2 scoring wingers. That is our real need.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shinoix on Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:10 pm

I agree.

Think about it, other successful teams have VERY good D pairings. Those guys finish + for a reason. They can shut teams down...think about it, a D pairing that is VERY tough to score against, out there for you about 25 or more minutes a night! That's almost HALF a game.

You have confidence when those players are on the ice...whereas we don't have one decent pairing that doesn't give us jitters when they're out there.

Gotta get another good D man like that, and Johnson is the prime candidate.
Shinoix

Postby Reilly on Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:23 pm

Erik Johnson hasen't even played in college yet and he's already the next Nik Lidstrom? :roll: As much as this team needs good defensemen, they also need players than can put the puck in the net. After Crosby and Malkin, this team has a bunch of role players that chip in every once and awhile.

Kessel can play in the NHL next year and will make a difference for this team. Erik Johnson is a project. Look how long it took Ryan Whitney to even play in the NHL and he still isn't that great yet.

I have no problem with picking Johnson, however, if he's not a Norris Trophy winner in his career, the pick will be a bust. It's easier to plug 6 holes in the defence during the offseason than it is to find 12 forwards. With players like Crosby and Malkin already, you can't expect the Pens to play a "Minnesota-like" system.
Reilly

Postby pfim on Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:45 pm

Pitts wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:I think winning the draft lottery could be more of a blessing than most think at this point. I say that because I'm not too high on Kessel. If anyone in the Pens organization feels the same we could end up with a pretty good player in exchange for trading down a slot or two...... then picking Staal. Theoretically anyway.

Mark it down...Eric Johnson will go #1 overall. If the Pens happen to land the #1, they would be very smart to trade that pick for a player or two and a swap of #1 picks. We do not need another stud d-man no matter what anyone says. We have Crosby, Malkin, Orpik, Whitney, Welch and Fleury to build this team out. Time is ripe to trade our #1 for 2 scoring wingers. That is our real need.

They're both "real" needs. The only two positions they shouldn't draft in the first round (if possible) are center and goaltender. If they continue to improve, Orpik, Whitney and Welch are a nice start, but none of them have the pure talent of Erik Johnson.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:48 pm

I just feel this team needs some true snipers. You can talk all you want about the Surovy's, Oullete's, Koltsovs, Murleys', Armstrong's...yadda, yadda, yadda...NONE of them are scoring goals with any regularity. Crosby and Malkin will be completely wasted without finishers.

I also feel we have plenty of good to great defensive prospects that will come along with Crosby and Malkin to fill that need. Defense takes a while. Whitney, Orpik and the like need another season or two before they really start turning it around. They need time. Johnson may be 5 - 6 years away from NHL duty.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:20 am

Pitts wrote:I just feel this team needs some true snipers. You can talk all you want about the Surovy's, Oullete's, Koltsovs, Murleys', Armstrong's...yadda, yadda, yadda...NONE of them are scoring goals with any regularity. Crosby and Malkin will be completely wasted without finishers.

I also feel we have plenty of good to great defensive prospects that will come along with Crosby and Malkin to fill that need. Defense takes a while. Whitney, Orpik and the like need another season or two before they really start turning it around. They need time. Johnson may be 5 - 6 years away from NHL duty.

Getting a guy to play on their wings will be less expensive than getting a number 1 defenseman through a trade or free agency.

While it takes awhile for an NHL defenseman to acheive his potential (if he ever does), I think you're underrating Johnson a bit. Would he help the Pens next year? No, but they need 7-8 guys to make a meaningful difference in this team. If Johnson goes to college, I doubt he'll be there longer than a year.

We'll see I guess, it may be a pointless debate.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:04 am

ziggystardust wrote:drafting kessel over johnson would be almost as big a mistake as signing gonchar.

I think they should trade the pick, not draft Kessel.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:06 am

ziggystardust wrote:
Tikkanen wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:the lack of a sniper is not what is holding this team down. This team is losing because they don't have one top pairing defenseman on the entire roster, let a lone someone who should blossom into an elite number one defenseman.

Johnson will help the offense, and he will be an absolute blessing to watch defensively. You don't pass on players like that.
The Penguins already have Sid and Malkin carrying the top two lines. Armstrong, Christensen and Ouellet figure to be fine in secondary roles.

What snipers does Carolina have? Who are the sniper wingers in detroit? Edmonton? Buffalo? Calgary? Nashville?
none of these teams have two forwards with the potential to play at Malkin and Sidney's level. The glaring weakness in the Penguins organization is the complete lack of a #1 defenseman... why give up the oppertunity to make the weakness a strength?

Wow...that was all laughable. Hmm...snipers in Carolina - depends on your definition, but Staal is pretty good at scoring goals with a wicked shot...Detroit? Please...surely you jest - Zetterberg is close, Datsyuk's got a nose for the net, and then there's SHANNY. Edmonton? Hemsky is actually a pure sniper, but he's getting a raw deal. Buffalo has Kotalik, Vanek, and Afinogenov. Calgary has Iginla, Amonte (although aging), and Nashville has Sullivan.

When you have the defensive depth that the Pens have, and your IMMEDIATE need is for a "sniper", you deal from your position of strength (draft order) to cover your weekness (sniper). It's elementary...

Please tell me what #1 D-man in the league the Lightning had last season to win the cup? Scotty in Jersey won the Norris, but they got bounced from the playoffs. Calgary had what #1 D-man that lead them to the finals?

You can be successful in this league with a bunch of #2's, 3's and a 4 on D, but not at forward. The Pens can get a D-man in the second round AFTER they get a sniper, or trade the #1 pick for one.

you listed some good players, but none of them are as talented as Malkin or Sid. Those two players will provide plenty off offense, and players like Ouellet, Christensen and Armstrong have the perfect skill-sets to benefit from what top two centers bring to the table.

the penguins don't need a sniper. their defense is putrid, and it is holding them back. drafting kessel over johnson would be almost as big a mistake as signing gonchar.

Staal is better than Crosby at this point, IMO.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

re

Postby alain blanc on Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:41 pm

I think they should trade the pick, not draft Kessel
i think so: our number 1 draft pick for one or two good player!!!That will be a good idea
alain blanc

Postby borohcky9 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:28 pm

I hate to break the news to you, but Ouellet, Christensen, Armstrong, Talbot, none of these guys are top line talent....period...now drop it, we are in serious need of offensive fire power on this team. Teams that win not only have a #1 scoring line, but also a #2 scoring line.

The penguins couldnt put together one scoring line with that list of players, or any other players in the organization.

We are in desperate need of a flashy goal scoring, puck carrying forward. Kinda like Kovy...but younger....maybe Martin Erat from Nashville, or even Tanguay.

This is what we need...we will have a good solid defense in a couple years...Welch, Orpik, Whitney, Letang, Bissonette, Lannon and fill in the spaces via trading away our extensive crop of 3rd line centers and muckers----Endicott, Murley, Talbot, Hussey, Lefebvre
borohcky9

Postby Reilly on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:11 pm

borohcky9 wrote:I hate to break the news to you, but Ouellet, Christensen, Armstrong, Talbot, none of these guys are top line talent....period...now drop it, we are in serious need of offensive fire power on this team.

Given Lemieux and Palffy already left and Recchi and LeClair will soon follow, I agree.
Reilly

Postby FlyerNation on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:51 pm

If Clarke brings back Recchi, he'll be blasted. He's done and will provide nothing. Forget about RJ being moved unless it's in an impact deal perhaps with Phx for Doan or Morris.

As for me, if the Flyers were to bring back any former Flyers I'd have to go with Ricci. He'd be a perfect playoff warrior and fill that gap left on the 3rd line by Primeau. He's a solid faceoff guy especially in his own zone which the Flyers sorely lack with the exception of Handzus. Anything to get Nedved out of the lineup is okay with me.

I wonder if Esche has any value left after that pathetic Oly. performance.
FlyerNation

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins