If the IOC/Pens do not get the license

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If the IOC/Pens do not get the license

Postby Scott on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:08 am

If the Pens/IOC do not get the license,
who of the other two applicants would you rather see get it?
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,920
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:11 am
Location: The Quick Stop roof playing hockey

Postby spoon on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:18 am

NIN, Jesse or Bowser
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:37 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby Stoosh on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:35 am

Spoon, what about me? I've got relatives in Vegas who used to work for casinos out there, so I've got connections. :)

In all seriousness, if the IoC doesn't get it, I'd like to see it go to whichever entity promises the most to help fund a new arena and right now, that would appear to be Don Barden's group.

Interesting article in the P-G today...Don Barden is seeking a ruling on the legality of the proposal by the IoC to fund a new arena.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06056/661146.stm

The thing to me is that it sounds like he's not necessarily trying to get IoC's bid disqualified. The article states very plainly that if the board finds the IoC's inclusion of the arena to be OK under the law, Barden is going to revise his plan to include funding for a new arena.

If he does this, the pressure on Harrah's gets ratcheted up considerably.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,461
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:19 am
Location: Aliquippa, PA

Postby newarenanow on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:46 am

Definitely looks like he is just covering himself in that PG article. I would too if I had this much money invested.

It's sounds like it should hold up. If it does, then Barden will throw in some money.

That should put some heat on Harrah.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,180
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Postby spoon on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:55 am

Stoosh wrote:Spoon, what about me? I've got relatives in Vegas who used to work for casinos out there, so I've got connections. :)


I think it was your proposed "Vintage G-N-R Slash Tophat Giveaway" night.

I dont see the North Shore dealing having a chance unless a new arena comes from it. Personally I think the North Shore is getting a little crowded for what it can handle.

It's basically down to IoC and SS.
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:37 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby DelPen on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:58 am

FC and Harrah's because it would serve the city right to have an alabtross of those luxury condos be empty for decades to come because they didn't do not only the right thing but also the politically correct thing in supporting the plan that makes the city better.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,279
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:48 am

Stoosh wrote:Interesting article in the P-G today...Don Barden is seeking a ruling on the legality of the proposal by the IoC to fund a new arena.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06056/661146.stm

The thing to me is that it sounds like he's not necessarily trying to get IoC's bid disqualified. The article states very plainly that if the board finds the IoC's inclusion of the arena to be OK under the law, Barden is going to revise his plan to include funding for a new arena.

If he does this, the pressure on Harrah's gets ratcheted up considerably.


This is bad news.

There's no doubt in my mnd that the 'spirit' of the law is being violated by the CURRENT IoC bid, let alone Barden.

I fully expect a two pronged attack from FC/Ratner. First, they'll challenge the financial strength of both IoC and Barden. Second they'll mount a legal challenge on this very section of the law.

If the State judicary goes according to the letter of the law, a strong case can be made that even FC's offer to give $25 million to another regional initiative (and the association with Franco) would also be considered outside the law.

Having said all of that, these Pols are greedy, and I'm wondering if you might not see them rush a amendment to the law if it looks like a challenge is inevitable.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby newarenanow on Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:20 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Stoosh wrote:Interesting article in the P-G today...Don Barden is seeking a ruling on the legality of the proposal by the IoC to fund a new arena.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06056/661146.stm

The thing to me is that it sounds like he's not necessarily trying to get IoC's bid disqualified. The article states very plainly that if the board finds the IoC's inclusion of the arena to be OK under the law, Barden is going to revise his plan to include funding for a new arena.

If he does this, the pressure on Harrah's gets ratcheted up considerably.


This is bad news.

There's no doubt in my mnd that the 'spirit' of the law is being violated by the CURRENT IoC bid, let alone Barden.

I fully expect a two pronged attack from FC/Ratner. First, they'll challenge the financial strength of both IoC and Barden. Second they'll mount a legal challenge on this very section of the law.

If the State judicary goes according to the letter of the law, a strong case can be made that even FC's offer to give $25 million to another regional initiative (and the association with Franco) would also be considered outside the law.

Having said all of that, these Pols are greedy, and I'm wondering if you might not see them rush a amendment to the law if it looks like a challenge is inevitable.


If they are going to challenge, they'd better put an amendment into the law because every applicant across the state are throwing in local contributions of some sort. In fact, it was encouraged by all of the politicans at every level.

The bad part is, this may delay the process if it comes to that.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,180
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:25 pm

newarenanow wrote:The bad part is, this may delay the process if it comes to that.


You can count on the process being delayed. Make NO mistake about that.

I fully expect to be here exactly one year from now, still tallking about a FINAL decision by the State Gaming Board.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nizzy, TrueNorth and 8 guests

e-mail