great article by Smizik

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Bowser on Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:44 pm

ahhh, when the Pirates have a winning season... then come see me.

I'm the biggest critic of Craig Patrick but the Pirates organization has been one horribly run franchise for 14 years.

Now take your love for Bobo the Clown, get a plane ticket for Slovakia, find your lover Ziggy, and stay away because no one likes an old joke.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:49 pm

Everything he said is true and I agree 100%. The only problem I have is with the CONSTANT COMPARISONS bewteen sports franchises. ALL of the losers that write for and cover sports in Pittsburgh are so dull and dim witted that they have to resort to comparing franchise A to B or C.

Loser franchises. Loser media. Loser politicians. Loser citizens.

Unless your a egomaniac yinzer drunk or a poser yuppie yinzer (the worst kind). Those guys are all winners in the bizzaro world known as Pittsburgh. I will be free one day. By the grace of God I will be free.
NIN

Postby skullman80 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:50 pm

Smizik is and always will be anti-Penguins and Pro-Pirates. I take nothing he takes about the Pens seriously. A joke of a sportswriter. So biased.

I have nothing against the Pirates, I find baseball boring in general, but until the Pens have had 13 years of futility, they don't come close to the Pirates.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bowser on Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:51 pm

When Smizik has the perfect and I mean PERFECTTTTTT chance to rip Craig Patrick a new bald head, he fails to finish the job.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:53 pm

skullman80 wrote:Smizik is and always will be anti-Penguins and Pro-Pirates. I take nothing he takes about the Pens seriously. A joke of a sportswriter. So biased.

I have nothing against the Pirates, I find baseball boring in general, but until the Pens have had 13 years of futility, they don't come close to the Pirates.

All you have to do to be a success in the NHL is be 16th place or better. Thats it. That usually translates into a winning record and the Pirates havent come close to that too often, although I havent followed them since Bonds left. Like I said above, comparing the two is mentally retarded and people actually pay mooney to read lame ass articles like this. They are different sports. There is no comparison. Only a dumb yinzer would find this interesting......
NIN

Postby td_ice on Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:53 pm

Smizik is like an obnoxious kid running around "nana nana nana nah...the Penguins suck......the Pirates don't....nana nana nana nah".

Complete with his tongue sticking out at the end.

A typical Smizik column. Has little to do with a constructive critique of the Penguins, more so to do with putting them down, and classifying where he wants them to rank in the Pittsburgh professional sports ranking.

He knows the Steelers are sacrosanct, but he wants EVERYONE to know HIS PIRATES rank ahead of the lowly Penguins.
td_ice
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby kovyman1127 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:08 pm

Well, let's break down some of the things ole Bob said:

"the Penguins have eclipsed the Pirates as the city's worst franchise."

Depends what you mean "worst"...is 13 years without the playoffs worse than 4 years near the bottom of the league?

"Truth be known, for sheer incompetence the Pirates can't match the Penguins."

Ummm....no Bob....the Pirates have had 13 season to turn it around...and they haevn't.

"What's more, every year they (the Pens) get worse."

Ahh...yeah Bob, it's called not being able to compete cause of no salary cap...thhis year, yes, I can agree, the Pens management was 90% to blame.

"Like the Pirates, the Penguins have become superb in building up the hopes of fans with bogus prospects."

Except for this season...how so Bob? We knew they would lose until a salary cap was in place at the very least....how did in the previous years, we "build up" expectations?

"When it comes to building a team, the Penguins are clueless."

And the Pirates aren't Bob?
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:08 pm

I bet there is a city out there that dosent chew off its right arm while holding a trophy in its left. I bet there is a place that exists in the world where people are so full of confidence that they can cheer for 3 franchises..brace yourself.......at the SAME TIME.

It's like that "stunt guy" in the Bud Light commercials who stays 5 minutes after 5 on a Friday! Rooting for more than one team for 5 minutes would require a BudLight and some immediate oxygen for a loser like Smizik and many many others around here.

I am no saint but I want all 3 sports franchise and even all the college and high school teams to win every single game they play. There success puts me in a good mood although I certainly dont set my clock by it. Obvious I like hockey the most because playing it is terribly fun. I always found other sports somewhat dull and high maintenance. Hockey is the best sport in the world and I would rather watch a very bad hockey team then a Super Bowl or championship team in any other sport.
NIN

Postby kovyman1127 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:10 pm

To clue you guys in on the pecking order of the PG writers loves:

Smizek - Pirates/Steelers/Pens/Pitt Football

Cook - Pirates/Pirates/Pirates/Pirates/Penn State Football
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby kovyman1127 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:37 pm

You will also see this amoung writers "ripping" other teams to make "their" favorite local team look better:

examples:

Smizek in today's article

M Madden saying "the Pens would make the playoffs before the Steelers do 3 years ago"

Ron Cook citing how the Pirates "have a real chance to complete" every spring when he writes about the upcoming season.
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sleestak on Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:41 am

Smizik's articles are completely irrelevant and phony. The same with Ron Cook's. They will say whatever gives them something to write about. They have ZERO interest in what they write about and are third rate hacks that should be ignored as such. They are intentionally negative because that's what people respond to. Their "views" cater to those who can't make their own minds up.

This is proven simply because the Pirates have not been "successful" since 1992. Remember? That's the same year the last pro sports championship was brought to this town since the 2006 superbowl. Who was it again that won that championship?
Sleestak
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bill from turtle creek on Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:00 am

kovyman1127 wrote:To clue you guys in on the pecking order of the PG writers loves:

Smizek - Pirates/Steelers/Pens/Pitt Football

Oh, I disagree here. Cook absolutely hates Joe Paterno, and slams him every single chance he gets. I think Cook despises Penn State football. When he was in high school, probably some Penn State football recruit stole his girlfriend.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:29 am

Sleestak wrote:Smizik's articles are completely irrelevant and phony. The same with Ron Cook's. They will say whatever gives them something to write about. They have ZERO interest in what they write about and are third rate hacks that should be ignored as such. They are intentionally negative because that's what people respond to. Their "views" cater to those who can't make their own minds up.

This is proven simply because the Pirates have not been "successful" since 1992. Remember? That's the same year the last pro sports championship was brought to this town since the 2006 superbowl. Who was it again that won that championship?

Exactly, a trully gifted sports writer would have took those facts and compared them to what other more successful HOCKEY TEAMS have done.

I am still waiting for anyone around here to compare Calgary and Pittsburgh. Patrick and all of them deserve to be critisized but using the Pirates as the measuring stick is 3rd grade, uninformed, meaningless, and something only somebody with a hair insecurity complex would create.
NIN

Postby Goalie on Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:06 pm

kovyman1127 wrote:To clue you guys in on the pecking order of the PG writers loves:

That last part is so funny I don't even know where to start. Cook drives the Pitt football bandwagon along with Paul Zeise (who is clueless when it comes to football by the way). Remember Cook was the one a few years ago saying Pitt was a national championship contender.

They made Cook cover PSU this year and he was not a big fan of it, trust me on this one.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jamie on Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:08 pm

Yeah those Pirates sure are a great run franchise. Look at the Kip Wells situation. They sign him to a one year 4.15 million dollar contract. This more than a 1 million dollar raise from last season. Let's see Wells went 8-18 last year with an ERA of 5.09, and led the National League in walks with 99. He also led the National league in losses. That is very deserving of a 1 million raise. :roll:
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jamie on Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:26 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
Jamie wrote:Yeah those Pirates sure are a great run franchise. Look at the Kip Wells situation. They sign him to a one year 4.15 million dollar contract. This more than a 1 million dollar raise from last season. Let's see Wells went 8-18 last year with an ERA of 5.09, and led the National League in walks with 99. He also led the National league in losses. That is very deserving of a 1 million raise. :roll:

who said the pirates were well run?

I was being sarcastic. But to have Smizik imply that the PENS are worse off than the Pirates is insane. When the PENS go 7 or 8 years without being able to turn it around, then he can talk. We have gone 4 years without making the playoffs, after a long run of post season play. 2 of the four years we traded away all of our top end talent to cut payroll. Patrick stunk up the joint with the return he got in the Jagr trade. This PENS will have a playoff birth, in the 07, 08 season. The Pirates will not.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:41 pm

You know what, we will see how great the Pirates are in September.

Not that I wish bad things on the Bucs, since I, unlike some of you guys :), can root equally for all of our sports teams, but I still don't see the Pirates cracking .500 this year.

Especially now that Wells might be out for most of the year after getting a blood clot in his throwing arm. http://www.pittsburghpost-gazette.com/p ... 661691.stm
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby kovyman1127 on Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:02 pm

The point is, Smizek thought this article was "thought provoking"...but it really isn't. His article's thrust is made moot when this question is asked:

"Which team has been run better in the last 20 years?"

Answer: The Pens.

Yes, CP traded Jagr with no return.

Yes, CP botched this season's offseason moves

Yes, CP hasn't drafted well in his time here (since Markus Nasland at least)

But, the Pens have 2 cups in the last 15 years and have several division titles.

The Pirates have......ummm....well the only thing they have the Pens haven't had in the last 20 years is a new building to play in.
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

B Smizik

Postby penny lane on Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:46 am

When I read the article I thought , okay he is correct about the disinterest
craig patrick has shown when hiring coaches and yes the drafts have been weak....but 2001 penguins in playoffs competing to play for the stanely cup.

Now, I'm going out on a limb here...but I bet my entire slots fund that
Bob Smizik has never seen Sid and penguins play, live at the Igloo.
He and Cook have just come off of their ride on the steelers coat-tails
loving every moment.

In today's article Smizak loses me for his baseball knowledge; he bashes the players throwing Lloyd McClendon under the pirate bus...this when I heard one pitcher say he had more communication in 5 days versus 3 years with the pitching coach.

Instead of writing an article about the worst city franchise he should be thankful there are 3 major league sports...or just retire now!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pops16 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:56 am

Smizek was always an ass. Remeber in 2004 before the lockout when he ******** about the Pens looking like AHL amateurs. THEN, when the WBS Pens were smoking in the AHL playoffs after a few players were called down, he whined that their sucess shouldn't be taken so seriously because WBS was a bunch of NHL players playing minor league hockey.
THEN WHICH WAY IS IT?!?!
I hated the man just for his stupid coments then.
Nothing has changed.
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:15 am

Bob Smizik could last one month in a real bustling city like LA, NY or Chicago. His inability to write coherent and legitimate thoughts would be exposed immediately.

When the PG finally goes non-union is the day Ghosts like Smizik and Cook are taken to the plank and dropped into the sea of Yinzerville.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins