pens have 23 games left.....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

pens have 23 games left.....

Postby conforto45 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:41 am

what would you like to see happen in this last stretch of games?

signs of improvement for next year?
bring up some players from WB/S and see where they stand?
keep things the way they are?

lets hear some thoughts
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

23 games left

Postby lassic27 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:55 am

What i would like to see is this team build on the two wins before the break and finish strong like they did at the end of the 03-04 season.

One player i would like to see up here is Noah Welch. He's most likely going to be on the roster next year, so why not bring him up and give him some expierence to see what the NHL is all about.

Ryan Whitney.... He has not been the player we saw from November, but the game against Carolina before the break he was the best player on the ice. For this team to improve it needs it's top players like Whitney to play like he did against Carolina on a game by game basis
lassic27

Re: pens have 23 games left.....

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:58 am

conforto45 wrote:what would you like to see happen in this last stretch of games?

signs of improvement for next year?

yes

bring up some players from WB/S and see where they stand?

yes

keep things the way they are?

no

Trade some of the vets and dead-weight if possible.

lets hear some thoughts
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

23 games...

Postby penny lane on Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:38 am

:shock: I really don't know what I hope to see from the penguins
for these last games. I've seen them finish strong but it doesn't mean
a blooming thing for the next year. So maybe want to see strong
individual play: marc-andre, t surovy, KK, Brooks, Ry Whitney,
Colby...see the young players remain strong in their hope of winning.

Mark Recchi, find out if he wants to remain a penguin in his role or does
he want to be in playoffs. Other vets see who competes every game.

I have no doubt that Sid is ready to kick it up a gear since all media
has given the Calder to AO early. :wink:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

I'd like to see

Postby rasbatch on Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:46 am

what they got in the hopper as far as defense. A couple posters have suggested that when we get the first pick we shouldn't be looking at Eric Johnson because our defense is in the pipeline, i.e. Welch, Lannon, Bissonette, maybe one other can't recall. Honestly I don't follow WBS so I ain't seen any of these guys, but I'm skeptical. Our defense is terrible, absolutely terrible and has been for awhile, our number 1 is like a 3 liner on a real team. So what we gonna do about it. I'm not saying we don't need goal scorers, but honestly if you scrapped the whole defense you could do better. Whitney and Orpik, while still developing have not been stellar so just where is the pens blueline heading?
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:56 am

Use the rest of the year for development. Focus on the guys who want to be the core of this team 2 or 3 years down the road. This means more Crosby, Armstrong, Surovy, Malone, Christensen, Orpik, Whitney, Talbot and Ouellet on the ice and in key situations.

I also think they should see what Welch, Lannon, Stone and Filewich can do for a couple games to get their feet wet.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:21 am

conforto45 wrote:what would you like to see happen in this last stretch of games?

23-0-0. I'm tired of all this talk about next season. I want wins and I want them now. ;)
Admin
Site Admin

Postby dboss on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:26 am

Admin wrote:

23-0-0. I'm tired of all this talk about next season. I want wins and I want them now. ;)

I agree. Winning would make the yinzer nation jump on the bandwagon, which can only help the Pens by bringing further support to the IoC plan.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:26 am

Pens could win all 23 games and still not make the playoffs, how's that for sad.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BritishPenguin on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:51 am

Bring up the best of the WBS bunch and give the younger players a run out. They will gain vital experience that will certainly help them next season.

Also this time could be used to determine which of the fringe players are worth keeping.

A brilliant run would bring great optimism and confidence into 2006-07.
BritishPenguin

Postby fourtKNOX on Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:31 pm

okay i have two thoughts about this... first off i dont know about bringing anybody else up to pittsburgh... why you ask... because well we already have the top prospects from wbs... MT knows who they are... and I truly believe he thinks what he has on the ice now is the best he can get from the organization... so I dont look for the 4 or 5 guys coming up to play a week or two in the remainder of the season...

I agree with an above poster to where I would like to see some of our young boys... be put in some key situations and see what will happen if nothing else let them know what they need to be working on in the off season... management and players of course...

my second opinion is I would like to see them gain some confidence... we all know that them going on a tear and winning 15 or so games does not mean that next year we will be a playoff contender... but I think that the east is going to be a scrap in the last 10 or 12 games of the season to earn the bottom few playoff spots and seeding soooooooo if the pens could win 10 or 12 games in the next 23 than i would say that is impressive...

I wouldnt mind seeing Welch get his feet wet... because i would think it would be extremely hard to ask him to step in next year and contribute withough ever sniffing nhl ice...
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanBryan on Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:37 pm

I think they should keep the team the way they are, with a few trades at the deadline. Nobody in WBS is ready for the NHL with possibly the exception of Welch. You keep the team the same, because unless there are trades, this team looks to be pretty much the same next year.
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby alain blanc on Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:54 pm

A defense!!! Welch!and hope :)
alain blanc

Postby conforto45 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:21 pm

i dont think that there will be anything worth talking about come the deadline. Leclair will probably retire after the end of the season.

i think he is still a good player. he doesnt take penaltys, he contributes on the PP, and he is helping teach the younger kids the ins and outs.

alot of ppl want to bash on him because he isnt scoring the goals he used to, or as quick as he used to... but whenever he is out there, he doesnt really bring the team down.

Recchi(if not traded) will probably be the captain next season. I dont think theyre completely ready to hand over the ship to Crosby.

Hopefully things get straightened out with the Russians and Malkin and he is able to come back over here next season. W/o him, theyre in alot of trouble...

Is is possible for Morosov to come back to Pitt next season? I know he wanted to stay over there... not sure if his contract rules or what... but i think he would fit well w/ this team and the new rules
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tluke53 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:42 pm

Pen's Girl Wardrobe Malfunction :D Just Kidding

I just want to see some wins. Not because they might get momentum. As we have seen, that does not matter. I just want to watch some entertaining hockey. I went to a game right before the break and it was so awful I felt like leaving. I just want to see them play well like the last two games.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins