If Recchi isn't traded by the deadline, make him captain

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If Recchi isn't traded by the deadline, make him captain

Postby Southern Fan on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:32 am

I'm sure conversations were being held with Recchi as to whether he wanted to be traded. If he wants to stay, then we need a transitional captain until Sid can take over.

Forget about the ghost of Mario. This team needs to move on. Somebody (other than Crosby) needs a C on their jersey.
Recchi's the only logical choice.
Southern Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:34 am

I don't think Rec's commands enough respect on the current roster for that.

That's the problem with the Pens right now, I don't think they have any outstanding veteran leadership.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Bowser on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:34 am

No one is getting the "C" this year and Therrien has made it clear, this is Sidney Crosby's team.

Mark Recchi should retire after the season.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: If Recchi isn't traded by the deadline, make him captain

Postby dboss on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:42 am

Southern Fan wrote:I'm sure conversations were being held with Recchi as to whether he wanted to be traded. If he wants to stay, then we need a transitional captain until Sid can take over.

Forget about the ghost of Mario. This team needs to move on. Somebody (other than Crosby) needs a C on their jersey.

Sorry, but not a good idea. Sid is going to be the next captain of this hockey team. Recchi's abilities in the locker room are completely overrated. At this point in his life, Recchi is only interested in where his next paycheck is coming from.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:44 am

If the Penguins could get a guy like Shane Doan, I would make him the Captain for a few years until Crosby or Malkin is ready for the job.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby alain blanc on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:52 am

I think if he play for the PENS next year he must be the capitain, he is an exemple for the young!And that probably will be his last year, so why not?Malkin would rockie and Sid will be a good assistant for one more year!
alain blanc

Postby FlyerNation on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:53 am

alain blanc wrote:I think if he play for the PENS next year he must be the capitain, he is an exemple for the young!And that probably will be his last year, so why not?Malkin would rockie and Sid will be a good assistant for one more year!

And what example does he show for the young?
FlyerNation

Postby alain blanc on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:54 am

the spirit i think he is a warrior!
alain blanc

Postby Reilly on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:59 am

Sidney Crosby is captain next year.
Reilly

scoring wingers...

Postby penny lane on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:59 am

Bowser wrote:If the Penguins could get a guy like Shane Doan, I would make him the Captain for a few years until Crosby or Malkin is ready for the job.

Upgrade with a defensive coach and 2 scoring, pure scoring
wingers. Do not have to be bona fide leader...must score
goals .

With E Malkin and his transiton to America; penguins will need to scout
out a family he can stay with and learn english.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:16 pm

Bowser wrote:No one is getting the "C" this year and Therrien has made it clear, this is Sidney Crosby's team.

Mark Recchi should retire after the season.

If Recchi isn't traded, what they ought to do is publicly flog him between periods at a couple of home games. THAT would sell tickets.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: If Recchi isn't traded by the deadline, make him captain

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:25 pm

Southern Fan wrote:I'm sure conversations were being held with Recchi as to whether he wanted to be traded. If he wants to stay, then we need a transitional captain until Sid can take over.

Here is my problem with all of this. I believe it is in the best interests of this team to trade Recchi. So whether he wants to stay or not should not really matter.

If there is a deal worth doing and it is passed on by CP because "Mark wants to stay here" then CP should be out of a job.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tluke53 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:34 pm

Three Things....

1. CP won't be hear next year.

2. It does not matter who wears the "C". I assume that many of you were forced to read the Scarlet Letter at some point in school. Her "A" lost it's meaning over time because of the things that she did as a person. Who wear's the "C" has very little to do with winning and losing.

3. Won't it be nice to start talking about real games tomorrow.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

As one who thought Marty Straka was going to get the C...

Postby relantel on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:52 pm

I really thought Marty Straka would get the C when Mario re-retired, then that nasty leg injury he suffered down in florida all but ended his career with the pens. Recchi strikes me as a Francis-like captain, a short term fix at best. No offense to Rex, as I think he leads by example in the heart department, but the +/- has not followed. Most of the others one would think of have not been around much longer than Crosby, Brooks Orpik for example, but are much older. Ones that if they got the C would not likely give it up.

On a side question, anyone recall off hand when Mario first inherited the C? was it 1987?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BCHill on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:47 pm

Recchi commands a lot of respect in the locker room, with rumors to the contrary notwithstanding. He should be given the C but if he isn't that doesn't matter. The players know who leads and who doesn't. Making Sid captain next year would be a grave mistake.
BCHill

Postby dboss on Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:01 pm

BCHill wrote:Recchi commands a lot of respect in the locker room, with rumors to the contrary notwithstanding. He should be given the C but if he isn't that doesn't matter. The players know who leads and who doesn't. Making Sid captain next year would be a grave mistake.

Why would it be a grave mistake? I have yet to see anything that this kid can't handle.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BCHill on Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:05 pm

dboss wrote:
BCHill wrote:Recchi commands a lot of respect in the locker room, with rumors to the contrary notwithstanding. He should be given the C but if he isn't that doesn't matter. The players know who leads and who doesn't. Making Sid captain next year would be a grave mistake.

Why would it be a grave mistake? I have yet to see anything that this kid can't handle.

Because he is too young. He has yet to earn enough respect around the league - he didn't help that with his whiny behaviour - and he just isn't ready. Let him wear the A for awhile even though it was still too early for that too.
BCHill

Postby dboss on Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:27 pm

BCHill wrote:
dboss wrote:

Because he is too young. He has yet to earn enough respect around the league - he didn't help that with his whiny behaviour - and he just isn't ready. Let him wear the A for awhile even though it was still too early for that too.

OK, so your argument is that he is too young?? That sounds like age discrimination to me and not really a valid reason. I would agree that he definitely needs a little more experience, but there is nobody else on this team that deserves the captaincy more than Crosby. Recchi may have experience but he can't compete with him on the ice and that is what people look for in a leader. Someone that shows they are able to 'walk the walk'.

Also, I think his whiny behaviour can be attributed more towards the NHL referees idiotic mentality that he should earn more respoect before he complains about calls, which by the way those are calls in which he was probably right 85% of the time.

His respect factor around the league is not what the decision should be based on, it should be his ability to lead the team in the locker room and on the ice. He may not have the maturity in the locker room yet, but that will come in short order and he has definitely earned the teams respect with his play on the ice.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:14 pm

dboss wrote: Recchi may have experience but he can't compete with him on the ice and that is what people look for in a leader. Someone that shows they are able to 'walk the walk'.

That's not really true. Yzerman is beyond done and, with the retirement of Mario, is now the most respected active player in the league. Sundin is deteriorating before our eyes this season and is still the leader of the Leafs. Sakic, Andreychuk, etc....

Recchi would be a fine captain. He is vocal, works hard every shift, and handles most of the media attention. He will basically serve as an interim captain until Crosby is mature enough to handle the duty (and he isn't right now).
jmh70

Postby netwolf on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:22 pm

Recchi yaps just as much as Crosby has. One thing I never liked about Rex was all the talking he does after getting rung up for a penalty.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dboss on Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:00 am

jmh70 wrote:
dboss wrote: Recchi may have experience but he can't compete with him on the ice and that is what people look for in a leader. Someone that shows they are able to 'walk the walk'.

That's not really true. Yzerman is beyond done and, with the retirement of Mario, is now the most respected active player in the league. Sundin is deteriorating before our eyes this season and is still the leader of the Leafs. Sakic, Andreychuk, etc....

Recchi would be a fine captain. He is vocal, works hard every shift, and handles most of the media attention. He will basically serve as an interim captain until Crosby is mature enough to handle the duty (and he isn't right now).

Please tell me that you DID NOT just compare Mark Recchi to Steve Yzerman, Mats Sundin, Joe Sakic, etc. Each of those guys has been the best player on his team for many years and been debated amongst the best players in the league at some point in their career. Is anyone able to make any of the same arguments for Recchi? I'm sorry, but nothing that Recchi has done even comes close to their accomplishments. Recchi is a much over-hyped player/leader and everyone in Pittsburgh, especially the media, is in love with him because:
1. He has a cool nickname (Wrecking Ball)
2. He is a 'true' Pittsburgher because he married a Pittsburgh girl and he lives here in the off-season

Crosby will be the captain next year because of his play on the ice and work ethic. His maturity for an 18 year-old is by far the best I have ever seen and light years ahead of where Mario was when he first got here and he was still made the captain in his third year in Pittsburgh.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:45 am

jmh70 wrote:

Handles the media attention = Passing the blame on to the Coach or the young kids on the team.
FlyerNation

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins