Shout out to Pens fans... with a little Calder talk as well!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Shout out to Pens fans... with a little Calder talk as well!

Postby fourtKNOX on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:40 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/s ... d=tab5pos3

makes it refreshing that ppl outside of pittsburgh realize or have some what of a clue what is going on here...

sorry if already posted!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Shout out to Pens fans... with a little Calder talk as w

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:24 pm

fourtKNOX wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=buccigross_john&id=2346601&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos3

makes it refreshing that ppl outside of pittsburgh realize or have some what of a clue what is going on here...

sorry if already posted!

I believe Buccigross was born in Pittsburgh or he at least lived there for a while.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dcfan on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:55 pm

When TSN was showing "The Goal" by Ovechkin, the announcer said that even if Crosby had a few more points than Ovechkin at the end of the season, reporters would remember that goal and give it to Ovie.
He was also named NHL Rookie & Offensive Player of the Month in Janary.
His play at the Olympics, such as the game-winning goal against Canada (sweet move falling down but keeping the puck in the zone & passing to Kozlov) and being the only player not in the gold medal game named to the Olympic All-Star team has also made an impression on hockey writers. Some are even saying now that he's worthy of Hart consideration.
Whether you agree with it or not, his reputation has soared lately and that will definitely have an effect on Calder Trophy voting regardless of scoring.
dcfan

Calder

Postby penny lane on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:35 pm

dcfan wrote:When TSN was showing "The Goal" by Ovechkin, the announcer said that even if Crosby had a few more points than Ovechkin at the end of the season, reporters would remember that goal and give it to Ovie.
His play at the Olympics, such as the game-winning goal against Canada (sweet move falling down but keeping the puck in the zone & passing to Kozlov) and being the only player not in the gold medal game named to the Olympic All-Star team has also made an impression on hockey writers. Some are even saying now that he's worthy of Hart consideration.
Whether you agree with it or not, his reputation has soared lately and that will definitely have an effect on Calder Trophy voting regardless of scoring.

Who knows what Sidney could have done IF given the opportunity
in Torino? In every head-to-head Sid/AO meeting Sidney came out
on top.
For the CAPS, does Ovechkin play a daily media role also? Is he the guy reporters talk with daily? This is a huge portion of what Sid has to deal with besides performance on-ice.

Calder needs artistry & technical scores with these 2!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dman66 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:59 pm

dcfan wrote:When TSN was showing "The Goal" by Ovechkin, the announcer said that even if Crosby had a few more points than Ovechkin at the end of the season, reporters would remember that goal and give it to Ovie.

no one here is doubting about ovechkin's ability. he is a tremendous talent and i for one would love to have him put on the black and gold. that being said though, i am not gonna stand here and tear him down like caps fans do with regularity to crosby. i think caps fans, instead of whining that he doesnt get that much coverage or that he is being upstaged, need to just sit back and enjoy the fact that you have a world class talent that may one day take you to a stanley cup.
put bluntly, would i like crosby to win the calder? of course, but if he doesn't, it will not take away from the tremendous season he is having, and i, like practically all pens fans, am just glad to be able to see sid play everynight.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:25 pm

dman66 wrote: i think caps fans, instead of whining that he doesnt get that much coverage or that he is being upstaged, need to just sit back and enjoy the fact that you have a world class talent that may one day take you to a stanley cup. .

Totally agree!

I'm in awe of AO, I think Sid can be an all-round player, but AO will generate highlight film plays for years to come. Which is more important to you?

I think diss'n one so the other looks good is just stupid, I'm glad we have both in the NHL. I'd love to see Malkin here next year as well.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby netwolf on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:20 pm

"Alexander the Eight" (Bucci is awesome; OLN should have hired him instead of Clement) is the bettter one-on-one player. Crosby is better at maximizing the use of his teammates.

Both are great, exciting players and I look forward to watching them for years. I can't wait until we meet the Caps in the playoffs again! :D
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:49 pm

You've got to be blind to put down either of them. They're both outstanding. AO is, in my opinion, the top goal scorer in the league right now. Crosby does have a much better all around game, and would rather use his teammates before taking it to the hole. However, when your teammates can't score, then you don't get many points. I just can't to see what kind of beast this 18 year old will become in the next couple years. He'll be putting on a ton of muscle weight after this season now that he knows what kind of punishment he's in for, and oh god, if you think trying to stop AO is hard, Crosby will be that much better. For 190 lbs or whatever he is, he's the strongest skater I've ever seen. I'm giddy as a school girl.

On a side note, unless Crosby goes nuts in these last 25 games, then AO really deserves to win the Calder. It's going to take a 5-10 point advantage for Crosby to win at the end of the year, that or a bunch of game winning goals, and stuff that shows how important he is to the team.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dcfan on Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:53 pm

I relish having both of them in the league, and as fans we all benefit. Maybe the rookie "competition" is pushing both to do great things at such young ages.
I remember reading they exchanged signed sticks at a game this season -pretty cool.
After the lockout, it's nice to see some excitement generated by the NHL.
The best part of all this is that it helps fans of both the Caps and Pens find some good from such lousy seasons and brings hope for the future!
dcfan

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins