Anymore rumors about Hardy?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Anymore rumors about Hardy?

Postby Jerri on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:18 pm

Sorry if there is already a thread on this, I didn't see one.

Yesterday I started hearing rumors that Joe Hardy was interested in buying the Pens but I haven't heard anything else. Does anyone have any more info?
Jerri

Postby dboss on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:20 pm

Where did you hear this info.?

I figured Mark Cuban would be the logical person to purchase the team. NOT!!
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Anymore rumors about Hardy?

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:21 pm

Jerri wrote:Sorry if there is already a thread on this, I didn't see one.

Yesterday I started hearing rumors that Joe Hardy was interested in buying the Pens but I haven't heard anything else. Does anyone have any more info?

Who is Joe Hardy?
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dboss on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:28 pm

WVPens wrote:Owner of 84 Lumber.

He also owns Nemacolin Woodlands and puts on the 84 Lumber Classic for the PGA Tour. Based on the Philly Inquirer he and his daughter were also the largest campaign contributors.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GJ on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:31 pm

Would they retire number 84? :lol:
GJ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:47 pm

Joe Hardy has shown interest in Golf before, but never in owning a sports franchise.

Hardy isn't the temperment to own a sports team. H3ll until recently he drove old pickup trucks to work. He's known for being hardnosed and very attentive to every dime his organization spends. He does everything at the least expense possible.

Odd thing is that he's from the old Hardy and Hayes jewelery stores money. At a young age he aligned himself with a young homebuilder with great ambitions named Edward Ryan. He ended up getting his start supplying lumber to the Ryan Homes operation.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby dboss on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:05 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:He's known for being hardnosed and very attentive to every dime his organization spends. He does everything at the least expense possible.

Sorry EPP, but I don't think this is a very accurate statement. Hardy has done EVERYTHING possible to expand the attention his golf tournament gets. Right after the tournament he pays for a private jet to take all the pros playing in the next weeks World Cup competition to Europe. At the request of the PGA Tour he has had Pete Dye re-design Mystic Rock, twice in the last 5 years. He invites all the players and their family to stay in the penthouse type suites at the Nemacolin Chateau (not the real name) for the week of the tourney. Based on this it seems to me as if he is willing to spare no expense to make this tourney successful. My only concern would be his very hands-on nature, but I can't imagine he would do anything other than pay to have a winning organization.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:19 pm

...edited... see my post below.
Last edited by Bowser on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:23 pm

If Hardy buys the Pens, do you think the chances of them staying in town improve?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:24 pm

Interesting. Not being a golfer I didn't know that about his approach to his golf event.

I can personally testify to the way he runs/ran 84 lumber.

But it'll be interesting to see if he's interested enough to be even part of a larger investment group.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Bowser on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:27 pm

Only way Pens stay in Pittsburgh is if they get a new arena.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:31 pm

Bowser wrote:Only way Pens stay in Pittsburgh is if they get a new arena.

According to one quote from Mario a few months back, he would only garauntee that the Pens stayed if IoC won the license. It may have been positioning, but he wouldn't garauntee the Pens in Pittsburgh under ANY other circumstances.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jerri on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:41 pm

Mark Madden mentioned the rumor on his show yesterday. Plus I heard rumors about it from a couple co-workers.

ExPatriatePen wrote:Joe Hardy has shown interest in Golf before, but never in owning a sports franchise.
Hardy isn't the temperment to own a sports team.

I respectfully disagree...vehemently. Actually, Joe Hardy has expressed interest in buying the Penguins in the past. Additionally, Hardy very much has a temperment to own a sports team. He loves attention. He flew in a wild tiger and a wild lion for the 84 lumber golf tourney last year when he thought both Daly and Tiger Woods would be playing. If anything he is a bit over-the-top (I won't even get into the rumors about his pump-up penile implant). Take a look at his homes - everything is gold-plated, marble and ridiculous. In fact, he is at times, way over the top. Owning a sports team is just the self-aggrandizing, pseudo-celebrity stautus that would be right up his ally.

I would bet Hardy would be hesitent to move the Pens from Pittsburgh, that said the arena is still needed.
Jerri

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:11 pm

Jerri wrote:Mark Madden mentioned the rumor on his show yesterday. Plus I heard rumors about it from a couple co-workers.

ExPatriatePen wrote:Joe Hardy has shown interest in Golf before, but never in owning a sports franchise.
Hardy isn't the temperment to own a sports team.

I respectfully disagree...vehemently. Actually, Joe Hardy has expressed interest in buying the Penguins in the past. Additionally, Hardy very much has a temperment to own a sports team. He loves attention. He flew in a wild tiger and a wild lion for the 84 lumber golf tourney last year when he thought both Daly and Tiger Woods would be playing. If anything he is a bit over-the-top (I won't even get into the rumors about his pump-up penile implant). Take a look at his homes - everything is gold-plated, marble and ridiculous. In fact, he is at times, way over the top. Owning a sports team is just the self-aggrandizing, pseudo-celebrity stautus that would be right up his ally.

I would bet Hardy would be hesitent to move the Pens from Pittsburgh, that said the arena is still needed.

I stand corrected.

I remember a speech he gave in 1983 were he talked about travelling the country in a old pickup truck, finding a piece of land that he felt was right for a store and approaching the owner posing as some hick with a wild scheme and offering 'everything he had'. He was so proud of those deals.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:22 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:I stand corrected.

I remember a speech he gave in 1983 were he talked about travelling the country in a old pickup truck, finding a piece of land that he felt was right for a store and approaching the owner posing as some hick with a wild scheme and offering 'everything he had'. He was so proud of those deals.

Hardy would be a great owner IMO. He's spent a ton of cash on Nemacolin and even gone out of his way to spend $$$ and spruce up downtown Uniontown. Nemacolin is first class in every way and he also managed to get his golf tournament moved from September (up against the NFL) to June starting in 2007 which means he must have put up some serious $$$.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dboss on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:28 pm

Draftnik wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:I stand corrected.

Hardy would be a great owner IMO. He's spent a ton of cash on Nemacolin and even gone out of his way to spend $$$ and spruce up downtown Uniontown. Nemacolin is first class in every way and he also managed to get his golf tournament moved from September (up against the NFL) to June starting in 2007 which means he must have put up some serious $$$.

I agree. I think he would do w/e possible to make the team a winner. My only concern would be his hands-on approach to management. If he would allow the hockey operations to be managed by hockey 'people' I think this would be great for the Pens.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:35 pm

GJ wrote:Would they retire number 84? :lol:

No, but he'd make Crosby change his number to 84. :shock:
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bowser on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:40 pm

Joe Hardy is not one of the groups described by the team as having shown interest in buying the Penguins from Mario Lemieux and his investors. If there is interest, I don't believe the Penguins or NHL are aware of it.

Take this as an internet rumor until further notice.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dboss on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:43 pm

Bowser wrote:Joe Hardy is not one of the groups described by the team as having shown interest in buying the Penguins from Mario Lemieux and his investors. If there is interest, I don't believe the Penguins or NHL are aware of it.

Take this as an internet rumor until further notice.

Any idea who has expressed interest? I haven't heard anything, but I am very interested in knowing who they have been talking to.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:54 pm

If someone wants to buy the Penguins, they'll need to make this public because the Penguins won't be releasing the information. When it comes down to one or two groups, things will be leaked by various sources in Pittsburgh, NHL office in New York, and groups interested.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby passmaster16 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:12 pm

I just don't see Hardy having any interest in owning the Pens or any sports franchise for that matter. I worked for the guy at one of his restaurants...some areas he doesn't mind spending money but on other things, you'd think the guy was living on bread and water...but you can always spot his bmw with an 84 lumber bumper sticker on it.
passmaster16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:21 pm

I would think that the cap era makes owning an NHL franchise pretty attractive. You have your bottom line in salary as well as everything else and nobody can out finance your team. As an owner all he would have to do is make sure the young stars are having the heck marketed out of them and we will come running. In time the wins will start to add and add and the confidence will grow and grow and then you got season long sellouts in a big arse arena and playoff rounds baby! There is definately money to be made owning the Pens.
NIN

Postby Bowser on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:27 pm

if Hardy invests in any sport, I'm betting baseball.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:28 pm

Bowser wrote:if Hardy invests in any sport, I'm betting baseball.

I gotta agree, while I've been wrong on this thread multiple times, I just don't see a Hardy / Pens connection.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bowser on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:35 pm

I'm not sure Joe Hardy would even be the main person to invest big time money since he's getting up there.... Maggie is the one to watch. The problem is she's into business and making money and growing them. Sports are a toy, not a business.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins