Poll: What kind of trade market do you expect to see?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Poll: What kind of trade market do you expect to see?

Postby Nihar on Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:44 pm

Given the cap and other factors, I think maybe it was Bill Clement who said he expected to see massive, multi-team deals. I myself am not so sure much will take place at all.

Not getting into specifics (who wants who from who, etc.), in general, what kind of activity do you expect to see? A lot? A little? Etc.....
Nihar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Poll: What kind of trade market do you expect to see?

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:27 pm

Nihar wrote:Given the cap and other factors, I think maybe it was Bill Clement who said he expected to see massive, multi-team deals. I myself am not so sure much will take place at all.

Not getting into specifics (who wants who from who, etc.), in general, what kind of activity do you expect to see? A lot? A little? Etc.....

I think it will be just the opposite. Just look at the sports with caps, and see how little dealing there is. There will be more than, say, the NBA, but not nearly as much as in previous years.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Poll: What kind of trade market do you expect to see?

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:31 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:I think it will be just the opposite. Just look at the sports with caps, and see how little dealing there is. There will be more than, say, the NBA, but not nearly as much as in previous years.

Agreed MCM. The cap adds another variable that makes deals harder. One thing you may see, mostly in future years, is that part of the value of an underperforming player is the length of his contract.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:35 pm

I think this year will be very interesting to watch. The amount of movement this year will probably be what we should expect in the future.

I would like to see a lot of movement. I find it more interesting that way. I'd really like to see the Pens active of course.

I'm looking forward to it.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:40 pm

You know, Jagr still owns a house in pittsburgh!!!

There is always a chance..... :lol:
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:45 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I think this year will be very interesting to watch. The amount of movement this year will probably be what we should expect in the future.

I disagree here. I think, in the future, we will see more deals than we do this year. This is the first year of a new CBA. GM's are still getting their feet wet. There will be deals this year, for sure, but there will be plenty more in years to come. Also, soemthing to keep in mind is that, many players are still in huge mulityear contracts that are simply untradable. Yashin comes to mind. Once these contracts, which were signed prior to the lockout, start coming to an end, these players will have to take paycuts and likely will sign shorter length cotnracts, making them more easily tradable. What that means is that more affordable players will be on the market as years go by, thus stimulating the trade deadline.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:43 pm

Instead of seeing a few huge moves I think we will see a lot of small precursor's of guys being moved, like handzus, Gomez and others making a good chunk of change to clear cap space to get turned around then to bring in higher priced guys for the playoffs.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jamie on Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:02 pm

I agree with MCM. I think that you will see some deals, but not like years past. Remeber this is the first year of the CBA and the GM's are still "learning" the ropes of the cap. When GM' get used to the cap, then I think the trade talk will heat up. It is just to hard to dump a player now, and as a result of that, teams are not going to take to many risks. Remeber how we dumped Kucera? A trade like that would NEVER happen in "today's" NHL, even for JAGR.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins