Hill District Redevelopment Leaders behind Capri Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Hill District Redevelopment Leaders behind Capri Plan

Postby bill from turtle creek on Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:56 pm

Folks, this is another good thing. The community is speaking.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06061/663667.stm

Interesting that Caliguiri's son is involved. As an old Democratic family, you'd think they would be behind O'Connor, wouldn't you? Hmm. Perhaps they are not NBA fans in that family????
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:58 pm

About damn time.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:05 pm

Keep rollin', rollin', rolin'... :)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:07 pm

The gaming board HAS to take note of the incredible public support being garnered for the Isle of Capri plan. Forrest City has to be shaking in their boots about now. Hopefully, the progress will continue to build until there really is only 1 answer to the license question ... Isle of Capri.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:20 pm

As has been said on another board, it would appear that NOBODY is behind the FC plan except for Rendell, his cronies, and people with a financial interest in Station Square. Literally, that is it.

This is information that must get out there. NOBODY wants FC.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:23 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:As has been said on another board, it would appear that NOBODY is behind the FC plan except for Rendell, his cronies, and people with a financial interest in Station Square. Literally, that is it.

Yeah, but they've set this process up so that the only objective measure of value favors Harrahs and their we-pulled-these-numbers-straight-out-of-our-lying-***es revenue projections. That's why FC is still the prohibitive favorite here.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:27 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:NOBODY wants FC.

That's not true Bill. One of those objective Station Square business owners wrote to the PG just last week about how much better he thought the Harrah's proposal was. :D
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:58 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
bill from turtle creek wrote:As has been said on another board, it would appear that NOBODY is behind the FC plan except for Rendell, his cronies, and people with a financial interest in Station Square. Literally, that is it.

Yeah, but they've set this process up so that the only objective measure of value favors Harrahs and their we-pulled-these-numbers-straight-out-of-our-lying-***es revenue projections. That's why FC is still the prohibitive favorite here.

If the housing market bubble bursts soon, which it has to with rates climbing back up, those luxery condos will be an albatross to the city.

Arena vs condos? That's what it boils down to and I'm sorry but an arena brings in more money.

And does anyone know if the Pens players pay a % of their income to the city? How would that loss compare to property taxes on those condos?

And isn't it ironic that the only benefit for the FC plan would be property taxes which the slots are supposed to do away with as much as possible? How would the city, county and state benefit then?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jamie on Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:54 pm

The more people IOC gets to back their plan, the better off they will be. I will admit, IMO things looked dismal a couple of weeks ago. I think the chants of "Mario" at the Steelers victory parade sparked this "whole change of events" so to speak.

Lets keep adding people to the bandwagon of getting a new arena.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:28 pm

Whatever the catalyst, I'm glad to see the community speak.

To me, This aspect of the IoC plan is what sets them apart. Others may offer to build an Arena somewhere in Pittsburgh, but only IoC offers to rebuild the Lower Hill.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jasmine on Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:18 pm

HomerPenguin is correct - the law reads in favor of FC as far as "tax revenues." Maybe Slick Eddie planned it that way. It doesn't matter, though, as it seems the IoC bandwagon has rolled over the hump and is gathering speed downhill! Seems every day someone new jumps on, too! This is what we need. I'm wondering . . . has anyone applied to speak at the Gaming Board Hearings in April? I hope there are thousands!!!
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby imau2fan on Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:47 pm

Very interesting. The Penguins have consistently touted the IoC plan, and nothing else, when questioned about arena talks.

We always assumed it was merely their staying on message, in order to comply with their IoC contract. That may be the primary reason, but perhaps unlike us, they're not giving up on their plan. Perhaps they're thinking the unthinkable--that they could actually win! Well, hell's bells, who's to say they can't?

Listen to most of us. At first we were all beating the drum for IoC. Now some of us are saying, "Hey wait a minute, maybe we can squeeze the other applicants into promising an arena." The bottom line is the same--we just want the Pens to stay.

Now I don't know what to do. I guess we should just keep the pressure on every front possible, and hope one of the cards turns up an ace.
imau2fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:55 pm

imau2fan wrote: and hope one of the cards turns up an ace.

Oh the Pun, the Pun! :lol:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby imau2fan on Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:58 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
imau2fan wrote: and hope one of the cards turns up an ace.

Oh the Pun, the Pun! :lol:

If by "ace" you mean Mario, then unfortunately I'll have to say no pun intended. I'd like to think I could drop something that clever, but I'd be lying in this case.

Nice catch, though. :)
imau2fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:24 pm

imau2fan wrote:Very interesting. The Penguins have consistently touted the IoC plan, and nothing else, when questioned about arena talks.

We always assumed it was merely their staying on message, in order to comply with their IoC contract. That may be the primary reason, but perhaps unlike us, they're not giving up on their plan. Perhaps they're thinking the unthinkable--that they could actually win! Well, hell's bells, who's to say they can't?

Listen to most of us. At first we were all beating the drum for IoC. Now some of us are saying, "Hey wait a minute, maybe we can squeeze the other applicants into promising an arena." The bottom line is the same--we just want the Pens to stay.

Now I don't know what to do. I guess we should just keep the pressure on every front possible, and hope one of the cards turns up an ace.

Well....

I think the IOC is the best plan just because of the section of the city it hopes to revitalize. The arena is a bonus, and not just for the Pens, but its badly needed for this city in a terrible terrible way.

I guess I would take consolation if FC wins, and somehow the Pens get their arena, it doesn't make it right, but anything that keeps the Pens here I will be ok with.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins