Why did Malkin even go to the Young Guns game?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Why did Malkin even go to the Young Guns game?

Postby Shinoix on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:31 pm

That was sad, it really was! At least 95% of the other players came with somewhat of an effort.

For a guy who's dream it was to play in the NHL and a guy that gets SO excited when he scores, he just seemed to care less what happened tonight.

I know it's a pickup game the level is low, but most players were at least trying and playing somewhat of a game in their own zone. Malkin was the only player hanging out at the redline and not even attempting to play D at some points. Then when he did cross the blueline, he just floated around and did nothing. When he had the puck he was non-chalant and his breakaways were painful to watch. He made a couple nice passes out there, but other than that it was very disappointing. I was hoping to see some nice exciting plays from him in this wide open game.

Oh well, as long as he keeps up his great play for us I'll be happy. It was just really weird to see him look so uninterested in this game.

Staal made some great plays out there and it was nice to hear him mic'd up. Steen tried to make some cool plays too and Kessel looked really good.

A fun game for everyone, however it looked like Malkin didn't even want to be there, which could be kind of disappointing for the fans.

He was also the only player without a point out there...wow, how does that happen in a game like this? I think this proves that he was REALLY uninterested and his play was indicitive of it.
Shinoix

Postby skullman80 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:37 pm

How did I know this thread would pop up?

Who F'in cares. It's a 4 on 4 pickup pond hockey game for all intents and purposes. No one was going more than 50% out there.

I care much more what he does after he comes back from the all-star break than about the Young Guns game.

People will find ANYTHING to complain about.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fast B on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:37 pm

This is unbelievable. Are you going to lose sleep over this too? Great jumping Jesus, it's a freaking exhibition game! Who cares if Malkin didn't get a point? Last I checked, he was still leading all rookies in scoring in real games, and has been dynamite in the last few real games he's played.

I think you just look for things to complain about with Malkin and Whitney. How come none of your postgame rants ever mention anything negative about Staal?
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:39 pm

Staal is from Thunder Bay and is the hockey equivalent of manna from heaven. :D
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Corvidae on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:40 pm

You go to have fun and put on a show. Malkin looked like he did neither. Even when I play pickups I score a few goals. So excuse me for being a little disappointed that our young all-star was the ONLY PLAYER who didn't register a point in the young all-star game.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Why did Malkin even go to the Young Guns game?

Postby doublem on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:40 pm

[quote="Shinoix"]That was sad, it really was! At least 95% of the other players came with somewhat of an effort.

For a guy who's dream it was to play in the NHL and a guy that gets SO excited when he scores, he just seemed to care less what happened tonight.

I know it's a pickup game the level is low, but most players were at least trying and playing somewhat of a game in their own zone. Malkin was the only player hanging out at the redline and not even attempting to play D at some points. Then when he did cross the blueline, he just floated around and did nothing. When he had the puck he was non-chalant and his breakaways were painful to watch. He made a couple nice passes out there, but other than that it was very disappointing. I was hoping to see some nice exciting plays from him in this wide open game.

Oh well, as long as he keeps up his great play for us I'll be happy. It was just really weird to see him look so uninterested in this game.

Staal made some great plays out there and it was nice to hear him mic'd up. Steen tried to make some cool plays too and Kessel looked really good.

A fun game for everyone, however it looked like Malkin didn't even want to be there, which could be kind of disappointing for the fans.

He was also the only player without a point out there...wow, how does that happen in a game like this? I think this proves that he was REALLY uninterested and his play was indicitive of it.[/quot

Who cares. Why would you post this?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:40 pm

He had the only hit of the game. I think he should get credit for that. :D
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fast B on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:41 pm

Corvidae wrote:You go to have fun and put on a show. Malkin looked like he did neither. Even when I play pickups I score a few goals. So excuse me for being a little disappointed that our young all-star was the ONLY PLAYER who didn't register a point in the young all-star game.

Oh, so we're back to questioning Malkin's motivations? This has become ridiculous.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shinoix on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:41 pm

Hey guys, did you read what I said in the post? I said, I REALIZE IT'S a PICKUP GAME and the level is low.

However, most players were giving an effort somewhat. Malkin was standing straight up and down when he had the puck and not even trying anything. It was sort of embarassing for the fans that are there watching and excited to see Malkin play.

I thought Kessel played a great game, he was having fun and trying out there.

I was questioning why Malkin was so uninterested and all around bad in this game, that's all.

I'm HARDLY worried it's affecting his play for the Pens. Like I said, as long as he keeps playing well for us, it's all good.

Get your panties out of a bunch boys, wow.
Shinoix

Postby netwolf on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:41 pm

doublem wrote:Who cares. Why would you post this?

You must care. You read it and took the time to reply.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. T on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:41 pm

If I was there, I would have boo'd him.
Mr. T
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shinoix on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:41 pm

netwolf wrote:Staal is from Thunder Bay and is the hockey equivalent of manna from heaven. :D

never ever said that...but then again, you know everything so you're right.
Shinoix

Postby skullman80 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:41 pm

Shinoix wrote:Hey guys, did you read what I said in the post? I said, I REALIZE IT'S a PICKUP GAME and the level is low.

However, most players were giving an effort somewhat. Malkin was standing straight up and down when he had the puck and not even trying anything. It was sort of embarassing for the fans that are there watching and excited to see Malkin play.

I thought Kessel played a great game, he was having fun and trying out there.

I was questioning why Malkin was so uninterested and all around bad in this game, that's all.

I'm HARDLY worried it's affecting his play for the Pens. Like I said, as long as he keeps playing well for us, it's all good.

Get your panties out of a bunch boys, wow.

So you basically just said it so many words that your original post was completely unnecessary.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fast B on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:42 pm

Shinoix wrote:Get your panties out of a bunch boys, wow.

I'll be polite, and just suggest that you practice what you preach, my friend.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stillwag on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:42 pm

Well, I was hoping he would put on a show, but at the end of the day it's insignificant. It would have been a nice showcase of his talent to others who haven't had the opportunity to see him play (Not that most of those people have VS though...) But in the end it was good to see him stay healthy, we already know exactly what he's capable of.
Stillwag
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby doublem on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:43 pm

Corvidae wrote:You go to have fun and put on a show. Malkin looked like he did neither. Even when I play pickups I score a few goals. So excuse me for being a little disappointed that our young all-star was the ONLY PLAYER who didn't register a point in the young all-star game.

You playing street hockey and playing in the nhl are really the same thing. Its not a real game. Wake up.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shinoix on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:43 pm

Agreed, hence the reason for my original post. It didn't even look like he was having fun or wanted to be there. You would think that a kid that has gone through so much to be here would be excited for this type of thing. Especially 4 on 4 with the talent he has.

Not that this game matters for anything, but it would have been nice to see him display his talents in a fun setting and show that he's actually trying somewhat and having fun.
Shinoix

Postby Mr. T on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:44 pm

doublem wrote:

You playing street hockey and playing in the nhl are really the same thing. Its not a real game. Wake up.

I played goalie in a pick up game the other day and kicked one into my own net. Does that count for anything?
Mr. T
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:44 pm

Shinoix wrote:
netwolf wrote:Staal is from Thunder Bay and is the hockey equivalent of manna from heaven. :D

I was kidding around with you, hence the :D And you're whining about others having their panties in a bunch?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shinoix on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:44 pm

Fast B wrote:

Commando buddy...nice try. I'm not upset at all...I'm just questioning what happened.
Shinoix

Postby Shinoix on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:45 pm

netwolf wrote:
Shinoix wrote:

I was kidding around with you, hence the :D And you're whining about others having their panties in a bunch?

the :) doesn't necessarily mean that..it could be a cocky ":)"
Shinoix

Postby doublem on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:45 pm

netwolf wrote:
doublem wrote:Who cares. Why would you post this?

You must care. You read it and took the time to reply.

Yes, because it was so stupid. People need to be told.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:46 pm

Shinoix wrote:
Fast B wrote:

Commando buddy...nice try. I'm not upset at all...I'm just questioning what happened.

questioning the effort of a kid in an ehbition 4 on 4 game is quite sad IMO
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. T on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:47 pm

My panties are bunching up.
Mr. T
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shinoix on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:47 pm

canaan wrote:
Shinoix wrote:
Fast B wrote:

questioning the effort of a kid in an ehbition 4 on 4 game is quite sad IMO

funny I never even once said the word "effort" and didn't question it...I questioned his interest , or lack there of.

Thanks though.
Shinoix

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins