Goligoski wants Pens to draft Kessel

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Goligoski wants Pens to draft Kessel

Postby Draftnik on Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:59 pm

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/features/arts/1703.1.php

If the Pens finish in last place they can't miss with Johnson or Kessel.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby randy on Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:06 pm

sure they can. they can move that pick for guys like paul mara (for example) that can come in now. Why wait another 6 years.

trade that pick
randy

Postby jmh70 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:33 pm

Well, let's be glad that Goligoski doesn't make that decision. This team needs about 3-4 new defensemen.
jmh70

Postby Draftnik on Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:37 pm

jmh70 wrote:Well, let's be glad that Goligoski doesn't make that decision. This team needs about 3-4 new defensemen.

Letang, Goligoski, Welch...

I'm not against drafting Erik Johnson if the Pens think he is the #1 guy. Trading the pick for an established player or two would be a waste because the Pens are several players away from being a playoff contender.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MariosMilitia on Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:46 pm

What about Jonathan Toews, I think thats the way to go. He is carrying UND right now and is climbing in the scouting ranks.
MariosMilitia

Postby jmh70 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:03 pm

Draftnik wrote:Letang, Goligoski, Welch...

Out of those three Welch is the only true defensive defenseman and is also the only one who can really be expected to make an impact. Letang and Goligoski are good finds but cannot yet be considered sure-fire impact players in the NHL.

Erik Johnson is a blue chip defense prospect unlike anyone the Pens have had in their stable for a long time.
jmh70

Postby Draftnik on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:04 pm

MariosMilitia wrote:What about Jonathan Toews, I think thats the way to go. He is carrying UND right now and is climbing in the scouting ranks.

Toews was invisible at the WJC. Froelik was less visible than that. It is amazing that Kessel led the tourney in scoring and still was criticized while these guys didn't even show up and people still love them.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:06 pm

jmh70 wrote:Erik Johnson is a blue chip defense prospect unlike anyone the Pens have had in their stable for a long time.

That's funny, I heard similar musings when Orpik and Whitney were drafted!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:30 pm

Pitts wrote:
jmh70 wrote:Erik Johnson is a blue chip defense prospect unlike anyone the Pens have had in their stable for a long time.

Orpik fell in the draft to 18th, Whitney was not considered to be in the same class as the 4 guys ahead of him. Johnson is in a different league than these two as far as pure talent goes.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:38 pm

jmh70 wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Letang, Goligoski, Welch...

Out of those three Welch is the only true defensive defenseman and is also the only one who can really be expected to make an impact. Letang and Goligoski are good finds but cannot yet be considered sure-fire impact players in the NHL.

Erik Johnson is a blue chip defense prospect unlike anyone the Pens have had in their stable for a long time.

How many games have you seen Letang play this season? He was very impressive at the Q/Rus challenge and Sutter had him playing in all situations at the WJC including PK. His defensive competency was very impressive. He was no less a stopper than Staal and Parent in that tourney.

How many Goligoski games have you watched this season? He has been dominant at times. He can control the pace and tempo of the game like a left handed Sergei Zubov. I'm not prone to hyperbole in evaluating Pens prospects. These are two of the better guys I've seen in recent memory.

Have you seen Johnson play? He certainly projects higher at this point and would be a great addition. The Pens are stocked reasonably well with defensive prospects at this time. They have a serious dearth of goal scorers and offensive forwards in general. Assuming Kessel would be switched back to wing as he played last year in the U20 & U18 WJC he definitely would fill a huge void in the depth chart.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:45 pm

pfim wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Orpik fell in the draft to 18th, Whitney was not considered to be in the same class as the 4 guys ahead of him. Johnson is in a different league than these two as far as pure talent goes.

Erik Johnson looked better than Jack Johnson IMO at the WJC. I think the Pens will regret taking Whitney over Lupul. He looks like he will be quite a sniper for the Ducks.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MariosMilitia on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:57 pm

Draftnik wrote:
MariosMilitia wrote:What about Jonathan Toews, I think thats the way to go. He is carrying UND right now and is climbing in the scouting ranks.

Toews was invisible at the WJC. Froelik was less visible than that. It is amazing that Kessel led the tourney in scoring and still was criticized while these guys didn't even show up and people still love them.

Hey at this point I would take any of the three, your right about the WJC and Kessel should get credit when its due. I just like Toews, he's kinda the under dog in the draft
MariosMilitia

Postby jmh70 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:16 pm

Draftnik wrote:How many games have you seen Letang play this season? He was very impressive at the Q/Rus challenge and Sutter had him playing in all situations at the WJC including PK. His defensive competency was very impressive. He was no less a stopper than Staal and Parent in that tourney.

How many Goligoski games have you watched this season? He has been dominant at times. He can control the pace and tempo of the game like a left handed Sergei Zubov. I'm not prone to hyperbole in evaluating Pens prospects. These are two of the better guys I've seen in recent memory.

Have you seen Johnson play? He certainly projects higher at this point and would be a great addition. The Pens are stocked reasonably well with defensive prospects at this time. They have a serious dearth of goal scorers and offensive forwards in general. Assuming Kessel would be switched back to wing as he played last year in the U20 & U18 WJC he definitely would fill a huge void in the depth chart.

I have seen all of them play this season multiple times, and note that I did not say that Alex or Letang are not good prospects. I said that they should not yet be pegged for NHL stardom.

Oh yeah, are your elitist "I have seen every Pens prospect more times than you" attitude is beyond annoying.
jmh70

Postby Draftnik on Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:45 pm

jmh70 wrote:
Draftnik wrote:How many games have you seen Letang play this season? He was very impressive at the Q/Rus challenge and Sutter had him playing in all situations at the WJC including PK. His defensive competency was very impressive. He was no less a stopper than Staal and Parent in that tourney.

I have seen all of them play this season multiple times, and note that I did not say that Alex or Letang are not good prospects. I said that they should not yet be pegged for NHL stardom.

Oh yeah, are your elitist "I have seen every Pens prospect more times than you" attitude is beyond annoying.

Actually you said Welch was the only one of he, Goligoski, and Letang that should be expected to make an impact. IMO all 3 are roughly equal at this point with Letang having the best potential to make an impact at both ends of the ice. You also said the Pens need 3-4 defensemen and that the Pens shouldn't draft Kessel (via Goligoski's suggestion). I wouldn't disagree the Pens need plenty of help on D, but Welch, Goligoski, Letang, and even Erik Johnson will not remedy that deficiency for at least a few more seasons. The Pens defense will still be down 3-4 good NHL defensemen next season no matter who they draft.

Also, if you look at the organIzational depth chart an easy case can be made that defense is much better stocked than forward, especially when it comes to goal scoring.

As far as being "elitist" about watching prospects, I can only say that watching them play combined with buying RLR newsletters THN previews, etc obviously provides a better perspective than reading an internet scouting report. I have no idea if you live in Canada and get TSN, Sportsnet, Leafs TV, NHL Network, etc so you can watch the CHL, WJC and USCH or if you live in the US and have DirecTV to watch Goligoski.

I've only noticed a few Canadians posting on this board and don't recognize your name as one that posts about Goligoski's games.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

so do they

Postby rasbatch on Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:56 pm

get any FA D in the offseason, cause I hope they'll be a least somewhat improved next year.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:32 pm

No doubt this team needs some defenseman, but I still think it needs some guys that can score goals more than anything. A strong offense will make up for a team defense that is lacking.

The fact is we have some defensive guys waiting in the wings that could have a very good defensive impact. Who do we have that can come up and light the lamp? No one.

Draft offense.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:12 pm

Draftnik wrote:I think the Pens will regret taking Whitney over Lupul. He looks like he will be quite a sniper for the Ducks.

I wanted them to take Lupul that day. Nothing against Ryan Whitney, but Lupul was projected to be a great goal scorer at the time, which is something they didn't have in their system at the time and still don't.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:26 am

netwolf wrote:
Draftnik wrote:I think the Pens will regret taking Whitney over Lupul. He looks like he will be quite a sniper for the Ducks.

I wanted them to take Lupul that day. Nothing against Ryan Whitney, but Lupul was projected to be a great goal scorer at the time, which is something they didn't have in their system at the time and still don't.

The flipside of that argument is that they didn't have a player like Whitney then either. Whitney seems kind of underrated among Pens fans, for whatever reason. If he finds his game in the NHL like he did in the AHL he will be a number one defenseman. Either way he has a high ceiling.

For the record, I was hoping against hope for Lehtonen that day.

In regards to 06, I think they need to look into trading the pick for a group of younger players. The top of the draft has some good players, but none that really jump out at you. Problem is, I dont know what team would really be willing to give up a whole lot to move up (or acquire a top pick). If that's the case, they should just go BPA.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Reilly on Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:37 am

MrKnowNothing wrote:In regards to 06, I think they need to look into trading the pick for a group of younger players. The top of the draft has some good players, but none that really jump out at you.

you're an idiot
Reilly

Postby netwolf on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:27 am

Reilly wrote:
MrKnowNothing wrote:In regards to 06, I think they need to look into trading the pick for a group of younger players. The top of the draft has some good players, but none that really jump out at you.

you're an idiot

Thanks for that in-depth analysis. What was wrong about what he said? Kessel and Johnson are excellent prospects, but neither is on the level of a Crosby, Ovechkin, or Malkin at the time of their respective drafts. I wouldn't be aginst trading it if the right offer was made.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:52 am

And, once you get past Kessel and Johnson, the talent drops off pretty quickly. A trade should not be ruled out.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Reilly on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:05 am

netwolf wrote:What was wrong about what he said?

Trading the pick for younger players. What's the point? They won't get equal vaule.

They won't get a player(s) who's better than the player they can draft.

Besides, if you people think this draft sucks, what makes you think teams will want to give up their young superstars (I.E. Gaborik) for a top picK?

Also, anyone who think this draft sucks after Johnson/Kessel need to stop acting like their pro scouts.

To not draft Kessel on the basis that he might not be a sure fire superstar (Ovechkin, Crosby) is such a stupid logic.
Reilly

Postby Pitts on Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:31 pm

Reilly wrote:Also, anyone who think this draft sucks after Johnson/Kessel need to stop acting like their pro scouts.

That would be "they're", or "they are".

A trade should not be ruled out because of the fact that the Pens already have Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Whitney, Orpik, Welch, Gologoski, Letang, amongst many others with which to build this team out. This team's GLARING weakness is a total lack of anyone who can score consistantly off of Crosby's, and I would assume next year, Malkin's, numerous feeds. It's not out of the realm of possiblility that if the Pen's win the lottery and get that #1 pick, many teams will want to move up to get their hooks in Johnson. A young scorer or two who can play next season (as opposed to Kessel who may be a few seasons away) would be a reasonable asking price.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:57 pm

Reilly wrote:
netwolf wrote:What was wrong about what he said?

Trading the pick for younger players. What's the point? They won't get equal vaule.

They won't get a player(s) who's better than the player they can draft.

Besides, if you people think this draft sucks, what makes you think teams will want to give up their young superstars (I.E. Gaborik) for a top picK?

Also, anyone who think this draft sucks after Johnson/Kessel need to stop acting like their pro scouts.

To not draft Kessel on the basis that he might not be a sure fire superstar (Ovechkin, Crosby) is such a stupid logic.

Did you miss the part where I said I don't know how much a team would give up and therefore should probably just pick the BPA?
MrKnowNothing

Postby Reilly on Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:27 pm

Pitts wrote:That would be "they're", or "they are".

great, shut the **** up.

Pitts wrote:A trade should not be ruled out because of the fact that the Pens already have....

a last place team
Reilly

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins