What team is Pens biggest rival?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who are the pens biggest rivals?

Devils
2%
Rangers
No votes
Cryers
85%
Isles
2%
Other
3%
Crapitals
9%

Total votes : 66

Re: What team is Pens biggest rival?

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:03 pm

Obviously the Flyers.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Inkio on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:23 pm

Clearly the Flyers
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:53 pm

1. Flyers
2. Capitals
3. Rangers
4 Isles (soon to displace Rangers I feel)
5. Soon to be Columbus
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Paekman on Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:32 pm

I am offended that no one has included the Blue Jackets as our most hated rival. I mean, one 6 game playoff series, and a meaningless fight between Sid and Dubinsky, right?
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Just for the fact the Flyer are mentioned as the Cryers and the caps are mentioned as the Crapitals show where they rank, 1 and 2.

I don't get up for games like I do with most other teams the way I get up for a Flyers contest.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:57 pm

Not picking on anyone, honestly asking -

Does anyone really consider the Rangers high on their list? I just see them as another team. I'm completely indifferent. I guess I could understand if you were old enough to be really invested in the early 90's, but today's Rangers are just kinda....there.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:40 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:Not picking on anyone, honestly asking -

Does anyone really consider the Rangers high on their list? I just see them as another team. I'm completely indifferent. I guess I could understand if you were old enough to be really invested in the early 90's, but today's Rangers are just kinda....there.

In the early 90's, yes. in the 2000's no.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WHITEY1 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:52 pm

1. Themselves/injuries
2.Philly
3.Washington
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:14 pm

The Flightless Waterfowl.
Damn Whitey beat me too it. Always keeping the man down.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:06 pm

fly boys
DC Caps
*I would add the senators; have played them often in the play -offs. They have had heated - contested games with words back and forth.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dman66 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:48 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:Not picking on anyone, honestly asking -

Rags are my #2. They always have money and represent everything I hated about the league before the lockout. Their media constantly talks about how other markets are undeserving of NHL and it may be true, but 10 years ago that was the Pens and may one day be them again. Add on the two recent eliminations and it just adds to it. Can't stand Messier. Can't stand Adam Graves.

Flyers are the clear #1. Caps are #3 for me even with living in the area.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:08 pm

I agree that the Flyers are far and away the Pens' biggest rivals let alone one of the most intense rivalries in all of sports.

I also agree with dman66 that the Rangers are #2. In fact, they're a close 2nd IMO.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Antonio on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:39 pm

Flyers
Craps
Isles (I'll never forgive 92-93)
Rangers
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:01 am

I remember a lot of people on here saying the caps can't be the pens rival since the pens always beat them. Don't fans even chant "not out rival?" I guess same could be said for the flyers because they always beat the pens.

In reality, I agree that the flyers/caps/Rangers and even for me the Bruins are a hated rivalry.
Skatingpen
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:17 am

Flyers

Then any other team that seems to have our number.

Of the choices

Flyers
Isles
Caps
Rangers

That might change with Shero in NJ and CBJ seeming to always play tough.
stonewizard51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:37 am

Have always hated the Flyers and always will. Same with the Caps but we've always seemed to handle them until recently. Can not stand Ovechkin celebrating after a goal. He yells and celebrates like he just won a cup or gold medal which he has yet to do and never will. The Rangers have knocked us out of the playoffs the past 2 years and with the rivalry from the 90's it's hard not to mention them. The Isles for the 93' series and the multiple assaults by them in that game from 2011? Puts them up there. Detroit and Boston are second tier rivals imo. Can easily see Columbus becoming a thorn in our side. Chicago is constantly praised and compared to the Pens, or the Pens shortcomings are compared to them. I see them as a measuring stick. It would have been nice for Blysma to not fudge the lines and if Fluery had listened and sought help/therapy when asked and if a competent goaltending coach been brought in earlier. Maybe the Pens would have beaten Boston in 2013 and then beaten Chicago and each team would have 2 Cups instead. Not sure if that would have happened tho.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:59 pm

There is only team in all of sports that I actually hate, and its the Flyers.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby dagny on Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:51 pm

Skatingpen wrote:I remember a lot of people on here saying the caps can't be the pens rival since the pens always beat them. Don't fans even chant "not out rival?" I guess same could be said for the flyers because they always beat the pens.

Nah, that was just Rocco. :lol:
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby longtimefan on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:49 am

Everybody comes and goes depending on the quality of their teams. The Caps rivalry increased because of Crosby and Ovechkin. There's only one true rival though. That's the Flyers. I've hate the Flyers since 1968. I lived through the broad street bully days and the 15 year, 0-39-3 streak in Philly. I attended the 5 OT heartbreaker. There's been plenty of good times too, like when Sid scored in OT with a bloody mouth courtesy of Chris Pronger. Beating them to go to the finals in 2008, and Max Talbot baiting Dan Carcillo into a fight in the 2009 playoffs. A lot of rivalries tend to be flavor of the month. The Flyer rivalry spans 47 of my 55 years. My hatred runs deep, and I don't care how good they are or who is on their team. I simply despise the entire organization.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:49 am

longtimefan wrote:Everybody comes and goes depending on the quality of their teams. The Caps rivalry increased because of Crosby and Ovechkin. There's only one true rival though. That's the Flyers. I've hate the Flyers since 1968. I lived through the broad street bully days and the 15 year, 0-39-3 streak in Philly. I attended the 5 OT heartbreaker. There's been plenty of good times too, like when Sid scored in OT with a bloody mouth courtesy of Chris Pronger. Beating them to go to the finals in 2008, and Max Talbot baiting Dan Carcillo into a fight in the 2009 playoffs. A lot of rivalries tend to be flavor of the month. The Flyer rivalry spans 47 of my 55 years. My hatred runs deep, and I don't care how good they are or who is on their team. I simply despise the entire organization.

Wasn't the bloody mouth courtesy of Derian Hatcher?
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:47 am

Steve Dave wrote:
longtimefan wrote:Everybody comes and goes depending on the quality of their teams. The Caps rivalry increased because of Crosby and Ovechkin. There's only one true rival though. That's the Flyers. I've hate the Flyers since 1968. I lived through the broad street bully days and the 15 year, 0-39-3 streak in Philly. I attended the 5 OT heartbreaker. There's been plenty of good times too, like when Sid scored in OT with a bloody mouth courtesy of Chris Pronger. Beating them to go to the finals in 2008, and Max Talbot baiting Dan Carcillo into a fight in the 2009 playoffs. A lot of rivalries tend to be flavor of the month. The Flyer rivalry spans 47 of my 55 years. My hatred runs deep, and I don't care how good they are or who is on their team. I simply despise the entire organization.

Wasn't the bloody mouth courtesy of Derian Hatcher?

Yes
Skatingpen
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DeadPuck on Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:01 am

It's basically just the Flyers.

We went a couple years without a heated game against Washington. That only heats up when both teams are good/competitive. Columbus isn't a rival because of one playoff series. The Rangers are just that weird, sometimes good team that is just kind of around and the islanders are bi-polar and inconsistent in their hate for anyone but the Rangers.

Pens flyers is always going to be a potential meltdown no matter who is competitive or what the talent level is. At least as long as goofballs like Ed Snider and Robert Clarke are involved with the team.
DeadPuck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sluggermatt15 on Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:21 am

Flyers are a clear #1 for me.

Caps I consider #2, especially now that they are in the same division.

Rangers probably #3.

Islanders and Columbus are lesser rivals, IMO. Maybe if NYI continues to beat PIT they will ramp up the intensity. Columbus has a ways to go before the heat is there. The playoff series from 2 years ago was a start. IMO the Jackets need to start being competitive and making the playoffs, too. That would add to it.

Historically, I would also consider the Blues. Before the Flyers rivalry took form in the 70s, the Penguins and Blues were very competitive with each other during the playoffs & regular season in the late 60s and early 70s.
sluggermatt15
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins