SI writer proposes Recchi for Downie and a 2nd

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

SI writer proposes Recchi for Downie and a 2nd

Postby Draftnik on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:55 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/allan_muir/03/03/trades.proposals/

This would be a steal of epic proportions for the Pens. I wonder how a guy actually draws a paycheck writing about hockey when he proposes such nonsense.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Zscout on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:18 pm

Steve Downie has Philadelphia type player written all over him. That is why he would likely be kept by Bobby Clarke.
Zscout

Postby FlyerNation on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:52 pm

I think at this point the Flyers should be sellers and not buyers. Dump who they can and not worry about getting some big name player for our youth. You could bring Mario and Betzky back in their prime and they wouldn't be able to help this worhtless team out. Just might prolong the result of another early playoff exit a game or two .

Clarke needs to not worry about aquiring anyone at this time. See who wants Brashear, Rathje, Kapanen, Esche hell even trade Floppa if that's the case. They're going nowhere. Build for future I say.
FlyerNation

Postby NJ5934 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:01 pm

Call me crazy, but I can't see Clarke giving up Downie......not for Recchi anyway. CP hasn't gotten much of anything for anyone in recent years, so I'm not expecting much at the deadline. If anything Recchi, Roy and Leclair departing for nothing at least frees up some cash to pay someone else or get Malkin over. I thought Tarnstrom was someone teams would have interest in and look what CP felt was "an even return" for him. CP must go if this team is going to be competitive.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:16 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Call me crazy, but I can't see Clarke giving up Downie......not for Recchi anyway. CP hasn't gotten much of anything for anyone in recent years, so I'm not expecting much at the deadline. If anything Recchi, Roy and Leclair departing for nothing at least frees up some cash to pay someone else or get Malkin over. I thought Tarnstrom was someone teams would have interest in and look what CP felt was "an even return" for him. CP must go if this team is going to be competitive.

Dick Tarnstrom sucks and everyone knows it.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:26 pm

I don't think he sucked. If he sucked, he'd still be here. He has a place on a team where he can be partnered with someone more defensive minded. He's cheap and he can put up points. We got dogsh1t in return. Don't expect much in return for anyone who moves at the deadline.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:27 pm

Ya i have to think that the recchi for downie idea is a little far fetched... only way I see that happening is if a bidding war broke out... and the flyers would probably want someone else as well.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:53 pm

NJ5934 wrote:I don't think he sucked. If he sucked, he'd still be here. He has a place on a team where he can be partnered with someone more defensive minded. He's cheap and he can put up points. We got dogsh1t in return. Don't expect much in return for anyone who moves at the deadline.

Not following the logic. If he sucked he'd still be here but we got dogstuff in return, so that's proof he doesn't suck?

He is charmin soft, which is something a defense partner can't cover up for. He's useless in front of the net and along the boards, he is a good powerplay player and nothing more.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:09 pm

They got a decent return for a good PP guy that is anywhere from average to abysmal in his own end, depending on what night it is.

Cory Cross was only taken to even out the money. He's gone after this year. Jani Rita was they guy they wanted. He's an older young guy (if that makes sense) that has good skills but has never had a real look. That may or may not be because he didn't earn it.

The only thing for certain is that he's never played many minutes and is still young enough to have the dreaded "potential" tag. He could end up being nothing, or he could end up being a nice player. We know what DT was and that he was gone after this year anyway.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:26 am

No thanks on Tibbetts.
MrKnowNothing

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins