Could this team suck any more?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Could this team suck any more?

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:06 pm

4-0 and pulling Caron did nothing but crap on Caron and throw, as Errey correctly noted, a cold goalie in and expect andything different was stupid.

Get rid of everyone in management and coaching, keep maybe 10 of these players and bring Malkin, Dave King and anyone else on Mettalurg who wants to play real hockey over next year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

yes

Postby vcip on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:15 pm

5-0.

I agree with everything you said. I am listening not watching so I am being spared somewhat.
vcip
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby subsonic22 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:17 pm

I'm not watching, but here's the worst part, they outshot Carolina 18-9! WTF?
subsonic22

Bonehead move by Therrien

Postby penscup on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:18 pm

Why the hell would he pull Caron after 2 PP goals? Thats really sending the right message, isn't it now. Don't tell me he was trying to "spark" the team. Just leave Caron in to take the beating like a man.

Where is everyone? Is this the Official Thread for tonight's game?

I can't wait for the big comeback to start!
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BJL on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:19 pm

Dumbest coaching move of the year... a double deflection and a wide open backdoor play on the powerplays and you yank the guy?
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jmh70 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:21 pm

MT has a history of mismanaging his goalies.

Overall there has been no significant improvement under MT. Some columnist (Starkey, maybe) commented that this team needs a "career coach" to lead them forward, and I think that's a valid point.
jmh70

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:22 pm

BJL wrote:Dumbest coaching move of the year... a double deflection and a wide open backdoor play on the powerplays and you yank the guy?

I would hop it was to give Caron a break but only after 2 goals? They did come out playing well the first 5 minutes and maybe Therrien thought Fleury would give them a shot in the arm to make it 2-1 quick but that idea was doomed when Fleury was known to be ice cold for having played one game in the last 2 weeks.

I feel for Therrien for having so little to work with but making bad decisions get compounded because they lead to mistakes very quickly and he hasn't made any knock your socks off choices lately either.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:37 pm

I think the goaltending change showed the team's lack of faith in Caron. Let's see, we're down 2-0 early, we can't afford to give up anymore goals, let's put our real goalie in. Of course, it didn't make much of a difference because Fleury got left out to dry on the next couple goals. I'm not going to shed any tears for Caron. He was looking bad, nearly handing the Canes a couple goals on giveaways on top of the goals he let up.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BJL on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:40 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I think the goaltending change showed the team's lack of faith in Caron. Let's see, we're down 2-0 early, we can't afford to give up anymore goals, let's put our real goalie in. Of course, it didn't make much of a difference because Fleury got left out to dry on the next couple goals. I'm not going to shed any tears for Caron. He was looking bad, nearly handing the Canes a couple goals on giveaways on top of the goals he let up.

If the 2 goals the guy gives up are bad ones I could maybe see it... but not on goals like that. It's just baffling.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:47 pm

Holy **** Koltsov scored!!!
NIN

Postby Bowser on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:49 pm

FINALLY!
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:49 pm

Beautiful pass from Oullett on that goal. Koltsov has a hard shot but he always seems to get it on net and not be able to pick corners. I'd like to see him use his speed to make goalies committ more and then fire it in.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:52 pm

DelPen wrote:Beautiful pass from Oullett on that goal. Koltsov has a hard shot but he always seems to get it on net and not be able to pick corners. I'd like to see him use his speed to make goalies committ more and then fire it in.

I would like to see him score in more than 3% of the games he plays in. I don't care how.
NIN

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:54 pm

Holy **** LeClair score from OUTSIDE of 5 feet from the net!!
NIN

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:58 pm

Leclair and Recchi hare having good games, should up their trade value. I can't see either of them wanting to end their great careers on a rebuilding team nor do I want to pass up getting value for them for the long term.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:08 pm

In the past two games Koltsov, Roy, and Rita have all scored and LeClair just scored from farther than 5 feet from the net for the first time all season. Roy won a fight. Fleury got pulled for Caron after Caron was pulled for Fleury. Crosby is snake bit. Gonchar threw a great hip check.

Clearly something wierd is happening in the locker room. Did they bring back some chronic from Jemaica?
NIN

Postby jmh70 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:15 pm

Crosby has a tendency to disappear in games that are out of reach.
jmh70

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:26 pm

jmh70 wrote:Crosby has a tendency to disappear in games that are out of reach.

Hopfully he steps up now that it's 6-4 and definately within reach.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:31 pm

Orpik needs suspended for that hit. I think Cole turned a little but Orpik driving him in that hard with his hands was uncalled for.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:34 pm

Ahhh there we go. Orpik ruins any chance of an exciting comeback and Cole might be done for the career.

Welp, time to straighten out that sock drawer...
NIN

Postby skullman80 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:52 pm

Dirty hit by Orpik...

Nice to see Rechhi get the HT.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nihar on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:55 pm

What was Orpik supposed to do differently? The guy turned his back after Orpik had already started his motion into the hit.
Nihar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:56 pm

Nihar wrote:What was Orpik supposed to do differently? The guy turned his back after Orpik had already started his motion into the hit.

Not board the guy?

He left his feet and planted him into the boards. It was a classic board, and just a dirty hit, IMO.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nihar on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:57 pm

Could Ryan Malone be any worse? He's been slow and crappy all game, and then he virtually ruins any chance of a miracle 2-goal comeback at the end with that awful icing.

What has happened to him?
Nihar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:21 pm

I suppose this loss falls on Therrien. If he didn't put in MAF, the score, theoretically, would have been 4-5.

And get Army off the top line already. He looks terribly out of place there.
jmh70

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins