Could this team suck any more?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Peter on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:30 pm

Guys, relax, the first period was all my fault. I was there.

Stat of the day -

going into tonight's game nobody was in + and Recchi was a -30.
Peter

Postby KG on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:32 pm

I think the lack of improvment of PK is something that is telling of the coaching staff. PK is all about hard work and positioning, which stems from coaching.

Until the pens accept a defensive system and all buy into it. They can draft all the Kessel's they want, we will just see more 7-5 games and the opponents going 3-6 on the power play.

The lack of improvment defensively especially on the PK falls on the coaching staff IMO.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Peter on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:37 pm

Colby Armstrong is my new favorite Penguin.
Peter

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:51 pm

I suppose this loss falls on Therrien. If he didn't put in MAF, the score, theoretically, would have been 4-5.

That makes absolutely no sense. For one thing, let's say Caron isn't pulled, the game plays out exactly the same way, and he stops the third Carolina goal. The rest of the game would have played out completely differently. Maybe we would have won, maybe we would have lost even worse. But you can't just take away there goals and expect the rest of the game to play out exactly the same.

Secondly, it's not like Fleury let in bad goals. The first was on a two-on-one and the other was a breakaway. Would Caron have stopped those? I sure wouldn't have bet on it. The third goal was weak, but by that point the game was over.

Five goals allowed in the first peiod, three power play goals against, one shorty against and another goal given up right after a power play... yeah, let's blame the coach for pulling a goalie who's not NHL-calibre anyway.

With all that said, I didn't think this was a terrible effort. The first period turned ugly very quickly, but the Pens actually came out very strong. For the second game in a row, they did a good job battling back against an excellent team after falling behind big.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:53 pm

Yes, they could suck more. They could have given up 6 in the first and/or not scored any.

Hey, you asked. :)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ginger on Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:31 am

NIN wrote:Holy **** Koltsov scored!!!

I KNOW!!!!!!! I'm so proud of him. Now I'll be able to wear my jersey unashamed. :)

I hope this is a corner turned for him & he can finish more now. If it's frustrating for us to watch, imagine what it's like being him?
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stevens25 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:35 am

At this point I would say,wait untill the end of the season.Get rid of Patrick and Terrian and try and trade as much of this dead weight as we can. Hopefully we get Malkin next season and we also have guys like Crosby and Fleury. Things should get better next season...hopefully.
Stevens25

Postby ivand87 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:49 am

I love that there's no "official game thread" and everyone was using this thread, titled "Could this team suck any more?", to discuss the game tonight. 8)

But anyway, one point for Sidney in 2 games!?

No matter how much he denies it, Sidney has got to be thinking about catching up and beating Ovechkin in the scoring race. I know, it's not that important to him, but he still wants to win the Calder.

Sidney remains 6 points behind and has played in 2 more games than AO.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stevens25 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:52 am

ivand87 wrote:I love that there's no "official game thread" and everyone was using this thread, titled "Could this team suck any more?", to discuss the game tonight. 8)

No matter how much he denies it, Sidney has got to be thinking about catching up and beating Ovechkin in the scoring race. I know, it's not that important to him, but he still wants to win the Calder.

I agree. Sid has to be wanting that more than anything considering the fact that the season is lost. However,at this point,Washington may have better teammates for Ovechkin. It seems as if everytime I see the score for a Wash. game,Ovechkin always has at least one point. Crosby will need a huge stretch of games coming up to overtake AO.
Stevens25

Postby NIN on Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:56 am

Stevens25 wrote:
ivand87 wrote:I love that there's no "official game thread" and everyone was using this thread, titled "Could this team suck any more?", to discuss the game tonight. 8)

I agree. Sid has to be wanting that more than anything considering the fact that the season is lost. However,at this point,Washington may have better teammates for Ovechkin. It seems as if everytime I see the score for a Wash. game,Ovechkin always has at least one point. Crosby will need a huge stretch of games coming up to overtake AO.

Crosby wont catch him because Therrian will not allow him to float like Ovechkin does in Washington. I am not saying Ovechkin doesnt backcheck from time to time but he isnt restricted. he has the green light every shift and he logs more ice. Crosby is learning how to be a responsible player without the puck within Therrian's system and it isnt as fun to watch as floating up ice and getting a couple breakaways here and there but in the long run we will win some Cups because of this.

Alexander the Eight can have the Caldur, lets see who has what it takes to win the only trophy that matters in a few years! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
NIN

Postby Rocco on Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:57 am

Be careful- the subject almost sounds like a challenge. I'm sure if these guys put their minds to it, they could suck some more.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

if only...

Postby penny lane on Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:19 am

DelPen wrote:Leclair and Recchi hare having good games, should up their trade value. I can't see either of them wanting to end their great careers on a rebuilding team nor do I want to pass up getting value for them for the long term.

Too bad both of them could not have played like this in
november/december.
I don't care how their careers end; just want what is best for
the penguin future.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:34 am

I'm going to the game this Saturday... and I'm deathly afraid that Therien will start Caron because of the back to back games.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DayWalker on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:42 pm

When is Penguin management going to figure out the obvious...

...that home games should start at 8:15 PM? You know, right around the time when the home team usually bothers to show up?

Oh, and I am willing to bet that neither Ovechkin nor Crosby win the Calder. I bet that goalkeep that backstops the Blueshirts into the playoffs for the first time since '97 does.

Anyone wanna bet against a NEW YORK Ranger getting a few extra votes because he plays in...well...New York?
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:46 pm

DayWalker - I think the Calder Trophy race is down to Crosby, Ovechkin, and Lundqvist. I just have a hard time considering Lundqvist a rookie since he's 24 frikkin years old.

I think Dion Phaneuf deserves more attention but the East Coast bias probably won't allow it to happen.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby NIN on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:49 pm

Bowser wrote:DayWalker - I think the Calder Trophy race is down to Crosby, Ovechkin, and Lundqvist. I just have a hard time considering Lundqvist a rookie since he's 24 frikkin years old.

I think Dion Phaneuf deserves more attention but the East Coast bias probably won't allow it to happen.

SILENCE!!!

Let the Day Walker speak........

I just always wanted to say that! :D
NIN

Postby DayWalker on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:57 pm

Bowser wrote:DayWalker - I think the Calder Trophy race is down to Crosby, Ovechkin, and Lundqvist. I just have a hard time considering Lundqvist a rookie since he's 24 frikkin years old.

And I think that bias is why Lundqvist will end up winning. Similar to the Hart Trophy voting in '89...

And yeah, his age is a bit off-putting (not like Sergei Makarov, but you know what I mean), but so long as he qualifies-and he does-one has to put him on any short list...

Finally, I think the value of a goalie-the most important position in team sports-probably provides for a more compelling case than a defenseman who shares the burden with, what, 8 or 9 other fellow defensemen? Perhaps it is not fair, but this isn't designed to be a normative claim either...
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:03 pm

DayWalker wrote:

And I think that bias is why Lundqvist will end up winning. Similar to the Hart Trophy voting in '89...

And yeah, his age is a bit off-putting (not like Sergei Makarov, but you know what I mean), but so long as he qualifies-and he does-one has to put him on any short list...

Finally, I think the value of a goalie-the most important position in team sports-probably provides for a more compelling case than a defenseman who shares the burden with, what, 8 or 9 other fellow defensemen? Perhaps it is not fair, but this isn't designed to be a normative claim either...

I don't think Lundqvist's age is as off-putting as it would be if he wasn't a goalie. 24 isn't that old for a rookie netminder. Anyway, if they make it about most valuable rookie, Lundqvist is clearly the guy and not just because of his position. The Caps suck nearly as bad as the Penguins do, and Phaneuf has been great but Calgary was going to be good anyway. Lundqvist from what I can tell is easily the biggest reason why the Rangers have completely turned that team around. He could be the LEAGUE MVP, although I can't imagine he'd get consideration for it.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins