Brooks Orpik's hit on E Cole

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:52 am

NIN wrote:everyone on OLN concurs with what the sensible posters here have concluded. Nothing Orpik could have done and Cole did it to himself.

I wasn't home to watch it, but if that's what was said, it directly contradicts what Colin Campbell said about it:

"While it is apparent that there was no deliberate intent to injure on this play, Mr. Orpik's careless hit on his opponent resulted in a serious injury," said NHL Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. "Even if a player leaves himself vulnerable, the checking player does bear some responsibility in avoiding a hit on a defenseless opponent."

But if having the staff of OLN agree with you makes you feel better, good for you.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:34 am

netwolf wrote:
But if having the staff of OLN agree with you makes you feel better, good for you.

You know I have dismissed many an insult without thinking twice but that really hurt man.... :( Suggesting I need to rely on the likes of Peirre Mcguire and Keith Jones for reassurance.... :) that is just wrong.
NIN

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:03 am

netwolf wrote:...what Colin Campbell said about it:

"While it is apparent that there was no deliberate intent to injure on this play, Mr. Orpik's careless hit on his opponent resulted in a serious injury," said NHL Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. "Even if a player leaves himself vulnerable, the checking player does bear some responsibility in avoiding a hit on a defenseless opponent."

Wow, the league got one right for a change!
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby BU Terriers on Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:57 pm

netwolf wrote:
NIN wrote:everyone on OLN concurs with what the sensible posters here have concluded. Nothing Orpik could have done and Cole did it to himself.

I wasn't home to watch it, but if that's what was said, it directly contradicts what Colin Campbell said about it:

Mr, Campbell works for the league, anyone that thought Orpik would get off free is an idiot.The NHL is trying to downplay anything like this now! I for one doubt that if Eric had not been hurt there would be no suspension.I to agree that Cole set himself up or bears part of the blame for turning his back, no secret this is a dangerous play. The problem these days, watch close, is that many times players use this dangerous method to protect the puck when an opponent is about to check them!Check out the picture of Orpik in todays PG, see the blood. The real intent to injure was the Cross Check to the FACE by Eric Staal, that too should have been reviewed. Everyone is looking forward to Eric making a speedy recovery and return to the ice. To say the fault of the injury is all Brooks', I don't agree.
BU Terriers

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:36 am

BU Terriers wrote:Mr, Campbell works for the league, anyone that thought Orpik would get off free is an idiot.The NHL is trying to downplay anything like this now! I for one doubt that if Eric had not been hurt there would be no suspension.I to agree that Cole set himself up or bears part of the blame for turning his back, no secret this is a dangerous play. The problem these days, watch close, is that many times players use this dangerous method to protect the puck when an opponent is about to check them!Check out the picture of Orpik in todays PG, see the blood. The real intent to injure was the Cross Check to the FACE by Eric Staal, that too should have been reviewed. Everyone is looking forward to Eric making a speedy recovery and return to the ice. To say the fault of the injury is all Brooks', I don't agree.

I wouldn't say it was all on Orpik either, but he was the most responsible for it because he made the hit. I think he still gets a game or two even if Cole had not suffered a serious injury. He had been assessed a major penalty and that was before the extent of the injury was even known.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins