Rossi on with MaddenÃ¢â‚¬Â¦
- Madden asks about the difference between the Fontana comments and Rendell commentsÃ¢â‚¬Â¦Rossi says he still expects deal to be announced in a short period of time, possibly as early as tomorrow.
- Points out that Fontana isnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t directly involved in the talks, but heÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s certainly speaking with some degree of authority on this issue.
- Really going after MaddenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s theory that the politicians are only doing this to set themselves up to look good if the Pens leave because the politicians have absolutely nothing to gain by doing that. In fact, it would be more detrimental to the politicians than anything else.
- Apparently, heÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s talked to the Pens to a substantial degree and heÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s not necessarily buying what theyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re selling.
- Says heÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s heard from more than one source that the Pens and elected officials are going to make sure this is Ã¢â‚¬Å“all wrapped up nicely and neatlyÃ¢â‚¬ï¿¾ when they make the announcement.
- Says the IOC payment may still be an issue, but this should in no way be a deal-breaking issue.
- Madden asks if at some point, the deal in KC becomes better because itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s more concrete? Rossi says he doesnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t think so at all. He doesnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t even know how concrete the deal is there. Until the Pens go back to KC, engage in any real serious talks with KC and actually apply to the league for relocation, he doesnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t think KC is a threat.
- The longer this goes on, the more likely they stay in Pittsburgh because the less time theyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ll have to go to KC.
- Madden asks how quickly the clock is ticking. Rossi said they probably have longer than the self-imposed 30-day deadline the Pens gave. The league believes this deadline could extend into mid-Feb or so.
- Madden asks if Rendell is counting on LemieuxÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s legacy in Pittsburgh. Rossi said he doesnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t think soÃ¢â‚¬Â¦from what heÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s been told, this is more about doing the deal with Burkle than anything else. The best way for Mario to collect completely on his investment in the Pens is to work up a favorable deal here.
- Is Rendell negotiating too much through the media? Not really. RendellÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s comments today were reactions to what Fontana said. Apparently, the conversations Rendell and Burkle have had have gone very, very well and those are fueling the reports that the deal is close.
- Madden says his biggest worry is that Rendell is a dishonest man who doesnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t care about Pittsburgh. Asks Rossi if he has reasons to be concerned. Rossi said from talking to politicians close to this deal and close to Rendell, Rendell and Onorato (especially Onorato) are very concerned about this area, if only because they are out to protect their own interests and they know what they stand to lose if this goes bad.
- Asked for a target date. Rossi says possibly tomorrowÃ¢â‚¬Â¦possibly early next week.
Haha! Madden closes by asking if the people who follow this situation on the message boards like carp grasping for every nugget should be considered pathetic. Rossi said those people should be considered exhausted.
You know, for someone who considers us message board posters as forms of life lower than the organisms that habitate pools of stagnant water, Madden sure does concern himself with us quite a bit. Kind of ironic, too, considering he used to post on the old board.