* Jellyfish Invasion II: Post-Game Luau *

Forum for NHR "Wars" Games

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

* Jellyfish Invasion II: Post-Game Luau *

Postby the wicked child on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:22 pm

Congratulations to the Jellyfish, winners of Jellyfish Invasion II!

It was a crazy game; It was a fun game; And in the end, the Jellies pulled out the W. Thanks to all who participated. Hopefully you had as much fun playing as we did running it.

With pleasantries exchanged, let's get right down to it.

ROLES

Portuguese NAN 'O War (Alpha), played by beerman

the wicked child wrote:Congratulations! You got a role in Jellyfish Invasion II.

You are the Portuguese NAN 'O War (Alpha). Each night, you will submit the name of a victim to be dragged to the watery depths.

But now for the twist. On Night 1, you will *NOT* submit a name to kill. Rather, you will launch 2 "jellyfish pods" which will attach to random tourists. If at any time the Jellyfish target them for action, the pods will become active, and they will join your team. This applies even if you should die.
Spoiler:
Translation: You have nothing to do on Night 1. We will randomly attach "jellyfish pods" to 2 tourists. If you (or whomever the alpha happens to be at that point) target them for death, the pods will become activated, and they will join your side.

Mangrove Jellyfish, played by slappybrown

the wicked child wrote:Congratulations! You got a role in Jellyfish Invasion II.

You are the Mangrove Jellyfish. You are a creepy bastard that hangs around the surface, barely resembling a jellyfish. As such, you are immune to night actions.

Irukandji Jellyfish, played by shafnutz05

You are the Irukandji Jellyfish. When they say it's not about the size, they have you in mind, my friend. You may be tiny, but you bring the pain. If you die, the person casting the final vote/killing you will contract Irukandji Syndrome and lose the ability to vote, or perform role duties for the next 2 phases.

Box Jellyfish, played by relantel

You are the Box Jellyfish . You are one poisonous SOB. The first voter for you will become poisoned, and can only be saved by the inebriated Hobo.

Jellyfish Liason, played by redwill and IrishEyes

the wicked child wrote:WTF is that in your room?
Spoiler:

the wicked child wrote:The strange thing you found in your room has been activated. You are now a Jellyfish Liason. I don't know what that is exactly, but you're one of them. You now serve the Jellies. :slug:

Nerdy little fact about the jellyfish pods... These are a real thing I discovered watching a special on the rise of the jellyfish on Discovery... there are jellyfish which lay thousands of these pods which lie dormant in the bottom of the sea, waiting to be fertilized... as with all our jellies, the ability was rooted in real life. But since it didn't make sense for a person to become a jellyfish, I brought back canaan's infamous "jellyfish liason". The fact that IE of all people was picked for it was pretty wild.

Maggie, the monkey (seer), played by mac5155

You are Maggie, the monkey (seer). Each night, you will spin your wheel and learn the identity of one player.

The inebriated Hobo (angel), played by count2infinity

You are the The inebriated Hobo (angel). Each night, you will submit the name of someone to pee on, I mean protect. You may pee on the same person on back to back nights, including yourself.

Note: upon his return, he was only able to protect every other Night (which just happened to be odd nights). He also became the halfway house hobo. More on this later.

Spongebob (Daytime Vigilante), played by Malkamaniac

You are Spongebob (Daytime Vigilante). You will gain one net on even numbered nights. You may not accumulate more than two at a time. If you are targeted by the JF at night while holding a net, they will die too.

But now for the twist. You will submit your PM during the day, prior to the writeup coming post by the mods, and your victim will be part of the day's writeup.

Rock Lobster (Survivor), played by npv708

You are the Rock Lobster (Survivor). You don't really care much about who wins... after all, you're just a rock... lobster. You are immune to night kills. Your only goal is to survive until the end.

But all this awesomeness comes at a cost... you cannot vote unless you post lyrics from Rock Lobster. We will not count any vote which violates this rule. You are also ineligible for any competitions which occur during the Dawn phase.

Acceptable vote:
There goes a narwhal! net NAN

You are a mysterious beast... and you often find yourself staring out towards the sea. Could something be out there? You'll just have to stay tuned. :scared: :scared: :scared:
Spoiler:

The Kraken (secret), played by canaan

Player is unaware of this role. It remains dormant until the Kraken Jorts are worn. At this point, it joins forces with the Rock Lobster and may kill every other night. Its goal is to outlast the jellyfish and the tourists.

----------------------

I was disappointed that the Kraken didn't come into play; it would have made the game a lot more :scared: We were also very concerned that the game would be over early when 3 jellies went down in a row, but slappy hung around and the pods were activated. I was also disappointed that Malks never got to net anyone during the day... lost any potential :scared: there.

ACTIONS

Night 1:

c2i - self
beerman - jellyfish pods attach to redwill and IrishEyes
mac - Rylan

Night 2:

mac - shaf
c2i - self
beerman - canaan
Malks - (1 net)

Night 3:

beerman - Malks (both die)
mac - beerman
c2i - self
Malks - Nothing (1 net)

slappy is the new alpha

Night 4:

mac - redwill
c2i - self
slappy - juice

mac dies from 1st vote on relantel

Night 5:

c2i - Blocked by ugly jorts
slappy - c2i

Night 6:

slappy - redwill - activates pod

Night 7:

slappy - columbia

Night 8:

slappy - obhave

Night 9:

slappy - Kraftster
c2i - self

Night 10:

slappy - blocked by Rad Jorts

Night 11:

slappy - c2i
c2i - self

Night 12:

slappy - litt

----------------------

Fun fact: the game would have been over Night 11 had slappy gone for anyone other than c2i. However, even with the murdering jorts, the resort was not able to overcome the temporary reprieve.

Speaking of which...

JORTS

Good

Rad Jorts - All bad roles are blocked tonight
Used Jorts - Once worn, the last non-red player to be killed is back in play
NAN's shorts - Exchange places with the next good RP to die (in place of The NAN role)

Bad

Ugly Jorts - All good roles are blocked tonight
Kraken Jorts - Activates the Kraken who's sole goal is to eliminate EVERYONE (an independent). The Kraken shows up as a regular villager in investigations until he is activated and acts as a regular villager until activated (he is not informed of his role until these jorts are worn)
Jelly-stained Jorts - Activates a jellyfish pod.

Neutral (Could be good or bad depending on who gets it)

Murdering Jorts - Kill 1 player of your choosing, can be done day or night, done via PM, effective on the write up
Random Power Jorts - Mods will do a random.org to determine a one time use power. Potential powers: see, protect, kill, block, or whammy (lose powers, if applicable, and vote for 1 whole phase)
Stained Jorts - Due to a party fowl, your jorts have been stained. The stress of life with stained jorts has overcome you. Good bye cruel world.
Puppet Jorts - You are a puppet next day phase. A random person has been assigned to be your puppeteer for the day. You can only say what they tell you to say and vote how they tell you to vote.
Tight Jorts - Cannot speak during the following phase, not even to vote.
Short Jorts - TURBO ROUND. The time limit for the next day phase is one hour. Pound a Red Bull and start voting!
Sisterhood of the Traveling Jorts - Mods will randomly assign you to a partner you can PM throughout the game. Person you PM can be anyone.

Silly

Tim Tebow's Jorts - Must spend 2 day phases discussing your obsession with Tim Tebow. If mods are not satisfied with your obsession level, it will continue indefinitely past the 2nd day.
Accusing Jorts - Must make wild accusations, game related or not, about every player who's name comes up in the vote for the next day phase.
Friday Jorts - All posts must contain lyrics from the best song ever recorded in the history of the universe (10 posts or 1 day phase, whichever comes later)
Corvi's Jorts - May communicate only through emoticons for the following phase. Must use a sufficient number of :scared: to satisfy mods or will not be released.
Pirate Jorts - Mods must speak in Pirate for the rest of the game

WTF? (meant to cause extreme confusion in the game)

Even Jorts - Starting with the 1st vote cost, every other vote cast will be moved to the proceeding vote. Example: the day starts, shaf votes for slappy first, then ie votes for redwill, then nan votes for slappy, then doc votes for ps87. The vote count would be redwill - 2, ps87 - 2. Pain for the mods, but worth it I think.

MULTIBALL Jorts - Today you will vote for 3 people. Yellow is the normal kill. Pink is for someone who gets a whole night and day phase of immunity. Green is for someone who gets a pair of jorts. Same rules of voting apply. You can't vote for yourself. You can remove a vote. And you don't have to vote for all 3 in the same post.

Nuclear Jorts - We start a countdown timer in the thread, randomly increasing and decreasing the interval at which the number decreases. If a majority is not reached prior to time running out (totally up to us - we can even start counting back up too), the player wearing the jorts "melts down" and goes out in a pile of radioactive goo. Or nothing happens lol.

------------------------

List was random.orged prior to game. Winner of Dawn selects a number from 1-20. As Jorts are selected, the list is adjusted accordingly. Winners are informed only of the name of their Jorts. If any unused Jorts remain in play, they may swap theirs for another pair. They are not informed of the names of the other Jorts until after the swap.

------------------------
Congratulations! You have won a fancy pair of (name) Jorts!

Here is the deal: These jorts have a magical power. To find out what that power is, you must inform the mods that you wish to wear your new jorts. This can be done at day or night and you have to PM the mods before the write up coming post for the end of the session. We will not ask you every night if you want to wear them nor will we wait.

Oh, one more thing. You have a decision to make RIGHT NOW. Other than the jorts you just won, there are (X) other pairs in play. You do not know the name of these jorts; however, you have this one opportunity to trade your jorts for any of the other jorts out there. Please let the mods know if you want to keep your jorts or if you would like to exchange them. If you want to exchange them, please choose from A, B, C, (etc).

Fine print: please do not inform the other villagers of your new jorts. Doing so will result in their magical powers being canceled, and the mods will take revenge on your eternal soul (you will be mod killed). Mods are not responsible for unintended side effects of wearing jorts.

------------

Dawn 1: Benny Fitz wins and selects #1 - Nuclear Jorts
Kraken Jorts are retired.
Dawn 2: c2i picks Multiball Jorts. Swaps for Nuclear Jorts from Benny Fitz
Benny uses Multiball jorts night 3
c2i wins Pirate jorts dawn 3, uses day 3
bh wins ugly jorts from multiball - use day 4
litt wins tight jorts dawn 4 - use day 4
Used Jorts (rel - dawn 5; give to ie, use day 5 - c2i back to life)
Jelly-stained Jorts (litt - dawn 6 - used day 6 - ie's pod is activated)
Sisterhood of the Travelling Jorts (bonus - litt - dawn 6 - use night 7 - talk w Zaro)
Stained Jorts (zaro - dawn 7 - used day 7 - ded)
Puppet Jorts (slappy - dawn 7)
Even Jorts (ps87 - dawn 8 - give to rylan - use night 9, take effect day 9)
Rad Jorts (c2i - dawn 9 - use day 9 - bad roles blocked night 10)
Murdering Jorts (ck - dawn 10, use day 11 - kill redwill)
NAN's Jorts (ps87 - dawn 11, give to IE)

I apologize for the somewhat inconsistent nature of this list, but that's how it goes.

Leftover Jorts:

Friday Jorts
Short Jorts
Corvi's Jorts
Random Power Jorts
Tim Tebow's Jorts
Accusing Jorts

Retired Jorts:

Kraken Jorts

Unused Jorts:

Puppet Jorts (slappy)
NAN's Jorts (IE)

Most Jort PMs were all business, but I believe this one bears viewing:

the wicked child wrote:May the joy which jorts have brought to LITT and Zarovich no man tear asunder.

Translation: You may now PM each other throughout the remainder of the game. Whatever information you choose to share is your own decision. No claims positive or negative are implied by this partnership.

The bond between one and their jorts is a sacred thing, after all.

------------------------

The Jorts were our answer to the packages of the original JI. However, instead of having an RP responsible for distributing them, we instituted an extra phase where players could win them. We hoped this would spice up the game a little and add some lulz and :scared: along the way.

I forgot to include the Sisterhood of the Travelling Jorts in the initial list, so we gave them out as a bonus pair on day 6.

I know everyone enjoyed the vote on Day 9... all even votes were moved to the odd vote. So:

npv (nan)
npv (slappy)
c2i (litt)
npv (redwill)
npv (c2i)
npv (ck)
rylan (rylan)

was equivalent to:

4 npv
2 c2i
1 rylan

------------

And We would be remiss to not give adequate attention to the incredible odds that led to the return of c2i.

Prior to the game, we ran the list of Jorts through random.org. The only modification to the list was that as jorts were selected, we shifted the list accordingly. (ie. if someone took 5, 6 is now 5, 7 is now 6, etc).

relantel won Dawn 5 and chose the Used Jorts. being dead, he had to give them to someone and he selected IE. It jsut so happens that at this time, c2i was the last non-bad player killed... so if IE chose to use them, c2i would return. And as if it were destiny, she put on those jorts and so it was done.

i seriously had tears in my eyes from laughing when this went down... the odds are just off the charts.

----------------

I would be remiss to not thank my co-mod bhaw for his awesome help in this endeavor. He came up with the original idea for a contest, as well as the majority of the Jorts. His shaf writeup was one of my favorites in quite some time as well. Corvi never got to actually perform any mod duties, but he did inspire the magical jorts theme, so for that we can all be grateful.

Thanks again everyone! Now let's get the hell out of this jelly-ridden resort!
Last edited by the wicked child on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: * Jellyfish Invasion II: Post-Game Luau *

Postby bhaw on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:32 pm

All I have to say is that thank god twc was off for the EVEN JORTS vote. I was so freaking lost.

I told him that keeping track of that day was my present to him. Watching you guys try to figure it out was hilarious.

The c2i thing was ridiculous. Of all people... once relantel won the jorts and gave them to IE, I PM'd twc and pointed out that c2i was on the block if IE used them right away. A few minutes later we got the IE PM and destiny was fulfilled.

I did laugh when Benny PM'd me shortly after asking to be put on the list to get back in the game :pop:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:33 pm

Oh, and I came up with the dawn thing months ago and told twc it would be an awesome twist. Then pittsports comes in with big brother warz and introduces the same damn thing :(
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:34 pm

His shaf writeup was one of my favorites in quite some time as well.

shaf getting socialized was one of the favorite things I ever typed for one of these games.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:35 pm

Oh yeah... Benny and The Nuclear Jorts situation.

There was a slight miscommunication between the mods and Benny as to whether he could mention that he used the jorts or not. He also claims to have not meant to actually submit the post which got him mod-killed, but it was quite convenient from my standpoint as I didn't have to figure out anything to happen when time ran out. :pop:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:35 pm

Lastly, props to twc. He asked me over and over to keep track of stuff on the wiki site he made so we could purge PMs. I did none of it and he kept track of it all. Well done :)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:36 pm

the wicked child wrote:Oh yeah... Benny and The Nuclear Jorts situation.

There was a slight miscommunication between the mods and Benny as to whether he could mention that he used the jorts or not. He also claims to have not meant to actually submit the post which got him mod-killed, but it was quite convenient from my standpoint as I didn't have to figure out anything to happen when time ran out. :pop:

I would have started counting back up :D
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:39 pm

bhaw wrote:I would have started counting back up :D

I did a bunch of that too. It was kinda funny watching redwill try to discern a pattern from what I was posting... and truthfully there was none. :lol:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby obhave on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:40 pm

I think I may have to read through this a few times to understand. My goodness what a complex, fun game. Thanks again! I'm no longer a noob :)
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:50 pm

Oh, another funny note...

I loved the Zaro suicide. TWC interrupted the game with Zaro killing himself and no one flinched at all. The game continued like a player didn't just randomly die during a day phase. It was pretty funny.

EDIT: I take it back... nan at least acknowledged Zaro's death with a "WTF?" He is the only one who said anything in regards to Zaro dying mid-day phase.
Last edited by bhaw on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:54 pm

I awoke on a tropical island, drunk and unaware and then slappy mercilessly kills me.
What a rough game.
I still want my ceviche.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Rylan on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:55 am

I think the Zarovich death was because Zarovich was rarely around so I figured he was just mod-killed. But man when I was "sick" and couldn't talk about it frustrated me. I was really surprised I made it. And I kept trying to play the same afterwards but with IE hounding me during and after the meltdown vote i figured I needed to try and lay low and just go with the flow for a bit until I could get trust again.

Oh btw NAN, IE was the 3rd voter for the first execution.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:00 am

BTW, Great game mods. Even though the inconsistent pirate speak made me hate bhaw more than I usually do :pop:

Also, good job IE and Slaps playing your "rivalry" to the advantage.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:10 am

it's not a JI without me coming back from the dead...
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:38 am

Great game mods. A lot of fun. The only criticism I have was the "dawn" games sometimes took too long during the day when everyone was playing, so it cut into a lot of the voting and discussion time. It start at like 10 or 11 am when everyone was around and not end until like 2 or 3.

I played bad. But I think I had some stuff figured out at the end there with slappy and redwill. I was convinced earlier in the game IE was bad, but she plays differently now, and it threw me off and by the end, I thought she was cleared toward the end of the game.

When I saw the vote ended at 10pm, I knew it was over. The village wasn't really putting in any input and voting, and I know once everyone went home from work, the bad guys would control the vote. I thought cupkeeper was going to be the one dead though, not me.

Great game though. Sorry for voting off so many villagers!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IrishEyes on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:53 am

newarenanow wrote:I played bad. But I think I had some stuff figured out at the end there with slappy and redwill. I was convinced earlier in the game IE was bad, but she plays differently now, and it threw me off and by the end, I thought she was cleared toward the end of the game.

The funniest part was I wasn't bad until after I brought c2i back. :lol:
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:58 am

I like how the only Silly Jorts that got picked were the damn Pirate Jorts. And naturally, they were used on Day 3. :face:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:03 am

IrishEyes wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I played bad. But I think I had some stuff figured out at the end there with slappy and redwill. I was convinced earlier in the game IE was bad, but she plays differently now, and it threw me off and by the end, I thought she was cleared toward the end of the game.

The funniest part was I wasn't bad until after I brought c2i back. :lol:

:D Yeah. I was confused with you. When you were blue, I thought you were red. But then once you finally turned red, that is when you convinced me that you were blue.

At the end there, I didn't know how many reds were left, but redwill and slappy were my top two, especially with slappy pushing so hard for the people not voting for the other bads. I wish I would have looked at his post earlier.

redwill was still a little questionable to me, as he was kind of neutral either way (at least posting wise, unless I missed something). But with who was remaining, he was number 2 on my list.

I wish that even vote didn't occur during the npv vote. I think that was a classic cop out vote, but I was so confused with the voting, I didn't want to vote out c2i or someone else (me). Just like the cupkeeper vote would have been a cop out, easy vote.

Where I really dropped the ball was the Rylan vote. He was a safe player due to mac dropping the "I'd bet Rylan is blue". But towards the end, 3 things changed my mind:

1) I was worried he was recruited and just moving on by.
2) He was the Mangrove and mac didn't see red even though he looked at him
3) He disappeared for a while and wasn't as active as he was before. I know some of that had to do with work, but then again, you don't really know that. And except for the Even vote process, he voted very seldom. It was just weird compared to how he was playing at the beginning.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:28 am

This has been a redwill/IE/slappy joint.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IrishEyes on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:45 am

slappybrown wrote:This has been a redwill/IE/slappy joint.

:fist: I suppose this means I'll have to finally let my grudge go. :lol:
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby redwill on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:47 am

Great game. Thanks, twc and bhaw.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby relantel on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:49 am

Impressive run by slappy after shaf, beerman and I went out early.

props to the mods for a great game.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:08 am

redwill wrote:Great game. Thanks, twc and bhaw.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby redwill on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:04 pm

With regard to the wtf device in my room, I never thought it meant I would eventually be bad. In fact, after nothing happened for a few rounds, I kind of assumed that all blues had gotten the same PM. (This despite the fact that twc said that if you did not receive a PM, you were blue. I wouldn't trust twc necessarily to tell the truth in that situation. :wink: ) When I became bad, I was OK with it. And now I'm very glad, 'cause I see it would have meant I would have been dead otherwise (since slappy tried to kill me).

Also, I had to laugh about people suggesting that shaf and I had concocted his killing. Who thinks shaf would have gone for that? I certainly would not have. shaf is too valuable. Plus I'm not smart enough to pull that off.

A very fun game. Too bad cup keeper had those durned murderous jorts and killed me at the last moment. :lol: But a good kill on his part.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:12 pm

redwill wrote:Also, I had to laugh about people suggesting that shaf and I had concocted his killing. Who thinks shaf would have gone for that? I certainly would not have. shaf is too valuable. Plus I'm not smart enough to pull that off.

Makes me think of this... (Godfather spoilers in case you are one of the 2 people not to see the movie)
Spoiler:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to NHR Games