2 odd healthy scratches for WBS tonight!!!

Forum for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Wheeling Nailers messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

2 odd healthy scratches for WBS tonight!!!

Postby eastonpensfan on Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:58 pm

Ryan Stone and Kris Letang were both healthy scratches, along with Dennis Bonvie.

Aaron Boogaard made his pro debut and fought Kip Brennan about halfway through the opening period. Jonathan D'Aversa also played his first game as a Penguin.
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:12 pm

I thought Bonvie retired... :?:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tybrus on Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:30 pm

Some may take that to mean they were traded.... :roll:
Tybrus
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:33 am

Tybrus wrote:Some may take that to mean they were traded.... :roll:

I really would like to find out why Letang was scratched...

I was hoping the kid would find himself early this year, they really need him to get his game together and contribute in Pittsburgh by mid-year
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby eastonpensfan on Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:59 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Tybrus wrote:Some may take that to mean they were traded.... :roll:

I really would like to find out why Letang was scratched...

I was hoping the kid would find himself early this year, they really need him to get his game together and contribute in Pittsburgh by mid-year

It was because of poor defensive play. He is outstanding on the power play but has made rookie mistakes leading to many odd-man rushes coming against the Pens. After a three-game losing streak (the team's first in 3 years), something drastic needed to be done and it seemed now like it was the right thing to do.
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby K2 on Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:05 pm

Easton, how did Boogaard do in the fight?
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pensfannn on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:22 pm

Easton, I really hope the coaching staff is cultivating Letang mentally. Do you believe they are?

To be with the Pens for 5 games two years ago, then shipped off to juniors, and then to be "this close" to making the big squad this year... now he's a healthy scratch in the A.

Are they encouraging and working with him effectively?
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eastonpensfan on Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:06 pm

As for the questions...

digitalgypsy66 - Bonvie announced his retirement, effective at the end of this season. He's doing a 'farewell tour'. However, he did break his finger this week so he may not play as many games as he had hoped.

K2 - As for Boogaard's fight, I'd score it a draw with an edge to Brennan. That's not an indictment of Boogaaard, but this was his first pro fight and Brennan is an experienced AHL heavyweight.

pensfannn - I think that this coaching staff does an outstanding job in developing prospects mentally. There's no question that Letang has the physical tools to be in the NHL. But, for the past few years, he's been dominating all of his competition. He won't be able to just rely on his talent in this league.

Coach Richards has shown, since he's been the coach, that he's not afraid of benching or scratching anyone. He's done it to Christensen, Talbot, Welch, Schremp, Letang, Goligoski, and almost every time, the prospect has responded very well during the next game. Each time that he does bench a highly-rated prospect, they know why.

You saw near the end of Letang's NHL tryout last year that he struggled defensively because he was going all-out offensively. That same mentality that he could get away with in juniors will not work here and has contributed to a few goals against. When the team had its' first 3-game losing streak in 3 years, something had to happen and Letang's scratch was a good signal.
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Penguins Affiliates