Interesting and disapointing to see the start that WBS is off to. Everyone has an opinion, here's mine. I'll start it off by stating a few assumptions (hopefully I'm right, or its going to be a looooong season)
- Let's assume that the WBS Pen's goaltending is actually going to be okay. (currently both keepers have 25 AHL goalies ahead of them statistically
- And while we are assuming, let's say the "NHL ready Defense" is going to be okay as well.
That puts the forwards in the spotlight. I was somewhat surprised and saddened to see some of last year's WBS forwards go, but that's life in the AHL.
A quick look at some former WBS forwards show their departures are missed. I think some departures were GM's decisions, making the GM's share some of the blame for the current 0-4 record.
1. Last year's leading WBS goal scorer Bryan Lerg has 4 pts (including 3 goals) -ouch
2. B. DeFazio & Ryan Craig both have 3 pts (2 goals, 1 assist) - double ouch as they boy have as many goals as WBS point leaders
3. Ben Street & Geoff Walker 3 pts (1 goal, 2 assists) - (shame on them for breaking up the Street-Walker line, shame I tell YOU!)
So that is 5 of last year's forwards outscoring all current WBS forwards. Its very early, but if things stay this way after the next 4 games, it may just be a hole too deep to climb out of.