ARe You Ready for Some Football - Steelers/Ravens 2013

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: ARe You Ready for Some Football - Steelers/Ravens 2013

Postby Bioshock on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:16 am

I get we are all mad that the Steelers lost, but imagine if you take that rule away. Eventually, someone gets their helmet taken off in some odd fashion and takes a shot then dies on the field. No sane organization would okay the removal of that rule.
Last edited by Bioshock on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:16 am

The helmet rule makes sense. Imagine a guy's helmet falls off and two players jump for him because theyre trying to stop the runner. You want the runners to let up in that situations.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bioshock on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:16 am

Rocco wrote:
Bioshock wrote:Just awful what happened to Bell. Hope he's alright.

As for the helmet rule. It's there for a reason. It keeps a concussion from turning into a fatal event. If you allow play to proceed and someone takes a shot like Bell took without his helmet on, he's dead. Simple as that. Also, changing the rule won't change the fact that Bell probably doesn't even know where he is right now.

If you want it to be a flag then i get that, but to be mad that the play was blown dead is foolish.

The rule is fine, though I'd argue that the spirit of the rule wasn't in play here. I'd also say that the idea that the NFL really cares about player safety is a sick joke.

Totally agree.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:17 am

Bioshock wrote:I get we are all mad that the Steelers lost, but imagine if you take that rule away. Eventually, someone get's their helmet taken of in some odd fashion and then takes a shot and dies on the field. No sane organization would okay the removal of that rule.

Are you suggesting that people are expressing their thoughts without a level head around here? Blasphemy!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:19 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Bioshock wrote:I get we are all mad that the Steelers lost, but imagine if you take that rule away. Eventually, someone get's their helmet taken of in some odd fashion and then takes a shot and dies on the field. No sane organization would okay the removal of that rule.

Are you suggesting that people are expressing their thoughts without a level head around here? Blasphemy!

:lol:
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:22 am

I'm of the mindset that the NFL is what it is and eventually, enough info will be available to the general public/players about the dangers of playing that said player will have to sign a waiver to play the game and accept the dangers involved.

It's awful but this course of action wouldn't surprise me.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:24 am

How bout them Penguins?
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:26 am

Bioshock wrote:I'm of the mindset that the NFL is what it is and eventually, enough info will be available to the general public/players about the dangers of playing that said player will have to sign a waiver to play the game and accept the dangers involved.

I didnt ever try to play organized football because im not an idiot, but is this not something that exists at lowe levels? I honestly have no idea but would have thought it obvious.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pensfan1989 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:30 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Bioshock wrote:I'm of the mindset that the NFL is what it is and eventually, enough info will be available to the general public/players about the dangers of playing that said player will have to sign a waiver to play the game and accept the dangers involved.

I didnt ever try to play organized football because im not an idiot, but is this not something that exists at lowe levels? I honestly have no idea but would have thought it obvious.

I feel like it would be a part of signing a kid up for Pop Warner or whatever it's called, and even high school ball. But that isn't where the money is, so those places won't get sued.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tim Thomasen on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:56 am

Idoit40fans wrote:No the reason they will win that division is the same reason the pens will win theirs. Talent will overcome crap coaching and the lack of coaching will lead to a collapse in the playoffs. pop

That couldn't be further from the truth, especially with the Pens but hey keep telling yourself that. Just because there going through a rough patch right now doesn't mean the sky is falling but you wouldn't know that because your constantly overly negative about everything (same goes with most that post in the GDT. If they win everything is sky high but if they lose its the end of the world and everyone needs to go. Talk about being too high and too low.).
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby DelPen on Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:05 am

Bioshock wrote:I get we are all mad that the Steelers lost, but imagine if you take that rule away. Eventually, someone gets their helmet taken off in some odd fashion and takes a shot then dies on the field. No sane organization would okay the removal of that rule.

I'm still not seeing how this rule existing helped Bell at all? If someone commits to a clean hit, someone's helmet happens to fall off and still gets hit how does this rule prevent that?

It's clear the intent is to stop a player who is still playing wearing no helmet to stop a tackle from being initiated. bells helmet popped off after the main play was over. It made no difference to his safety that the play was spotted at the half yard line with no helmet or two feet further into the end zone with no helmet on.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pensfan1989 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:09 am

DelPen wrote:
Bioshock wrote:I get we are all mad that the Steelers lost, but imagine if you take that rule away. Eventually, someone gets their helmet taken off in some odd fashion and takes a shot then dies on the field. No sane organization would okay the removal of that rule.

I'm still not seeing how this rule existing helped Bell at all? If someone commits to a clean hit, someone's helmet happens to fall off and still gets hit how does this rule prevent that?

It's clear the intent is to stop a player who is still playing wearing no helmet to stop a tackle from being initiated. bells helmet popped off after the main play was over. It made no difference to his safety that the play was spotted at the half yard line with no helmet or two feet further into the end zone with no helmet on.

It seems to me that the rule is in place to leave as little up to interpretation as possible.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Grunthy on Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:37 am

Idoit40fans wrote:

You know you just called anyone that played football an idiot right? What a prick comment to make.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:41 am

Or you are overreacting because perhaps he meant he knew he couldn't play so it would be idiotic for him to try.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Grunthy on Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:59 am

blackjack68 wrote:Or you are overreacting because perhaps he meant he knew he couldn't play so it would be idiotic for him to try.

I'm pretty sure I'm hammered right now... so that could be... :pop: If so sorry idoit...
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:58 am

Up and back from Home Depot.

When do I sleep? Oh, right now.

Later LGP!
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:19 am

The rule was put in place just recently because Jason Witten caught a pass, lost his helmet somehow, but continued to run with the ball. To prevent one of these idiots from doing that again, they now blow the play dead immediately and spot the ball.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:03 am

They lost but some positives. No sacks, holding calls and false starts. The veterans are the ones killing us, not the 1 and 2 year guys. And. Just saying 9-7 gets in the playoffs. All about the tiebreakers.
Southern Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Geezer on Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:55 am

TheHammer24 wrote:
Rocco wrote:80 catches for 1,044 yards in 12 games and you people think he's a #2 receiver. I may just get myself banned so I have an excuse not to come around here.

:thumb:

:thumb: :thumb: That's all the thumbs I have.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:58 am

Tomlin is impressively quick on his feet.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:48 am

Why is the helmet thing reviewable if it's missed on the field but other penalties aren't?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jprolley on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:04 am

this game is on the worthless defense. blame suisham all you want but if you take away the ravens possession at the end of the first half, only ONE ravens possession didn't end in points. they stopped nothing.
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:19 am

DelPen wrote:Why is the helmet thing reviewable if it's missed on the field but other penalties aren't?

And more to my point, if This was gaining 2 yards on a 4th and 1 at the 20 and Bell got the first and they didn't blow the play dead when his helmet came off, could the Ravens have challenged the call to get a better spot?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:25 am

jprolley wrote:this game is on the worthless defense. blame suisham all you want but if you take away the ravens possession at the end of the first half, only ONE ravens possession didn't end in points. they stopped nothing.

They held them to 5 FGs and however many were within 20 yards.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:37 am

DelPen wrote:
DelPen wrote:Why is the helmet thing reviewable if it's missed on the field but other penalties aren't?

And more to my point, if This was gaining 2 yards on a 4th and 1 at the 20 and Bell got the first and they didn't blow the play dead when his helmet came off, could the Ravens have challenged the call to get a better spot?

Wasn't it reviewed due to being a scoring play, which is reviewed every time?

I agree that the rule is there and it makes sense. But the spirit of the rule is to prevent injury. It's not like the helmet comes off and all players immediately freeze, so Bell falling forward had nothing to do with preventing injury. In any other situation, the ball would have been spotted where he landed, but because it's a scoring play, they pinpointed the exact moment where they deemed his helmet off. This was literally the only situation where this could have happened and the rule isn't in play to take away yardage from an unconscious player falling forward. It's to prevent further injury, which it did.

It's not a surprise though. The NFL is awesome at making rules to prevent one thing then finding the situation where it actually makes football hard to understand. I remember something with a Calvin Johnson catch that wasn't a catch b/c it happened in the end zone and he had to maintain possession for longer than if it were anywhere else on the field. I might be off on the details but something involving Megatron had the same feeling to it.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR