Politics... have at it!!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:54 pm

theblackarts wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:I stopped reading after “it is a disprovable, etched in stone fact...”


That's weird, you should have kept reading! Either way, if you can disprove that statement, in light of what even members of his own party have stated, you'll be hailed as a journalistic messiah.


Should we also listen to what Kamala Harris said about Biden... being a member of Biden’s own party? You argue the same way most Americans are tired of.... problem is you don’t get what you are doing is off putting.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,401
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:55 pm

theblackarts wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
theblackarts wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Here is why i ask, i googled Stan J. Wischnowski, the gentleman who wrote that letter about the separation of the editorial board and the news side of the Post-Gazette operation.

He was appointed the new executive editor and vice president of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in September 2020, not 2018 like you claimed.

He came from the Philadelphia Inquirer where he led the paper to a Pulitzer Prize in. Looking at allsides.com the Philadelphia has a "lean left" bias. So when you say he is right leaning I dont see that.


You're looking at the wrong guy; he's the executive editor, not on the editorial board. "As executive editor overseeing only the Post-Gazette newsroom, I am not a member of the editorial board." It's in the letter.

Block and Burris are the two gents of interest here.


Gotcha


Sorry if I'm being pointed, I'm understandably a little anxious, haha.


No worries, thats why there are messages boards to have a free exchange of ideas and information.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,093
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby theblackarts on Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:21 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
theblackarts wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:I stopped reading after “it is a disprovable, etched in stone fact...”


That's weird, you should have kept reading! Either way, if you can disprove that statement, in light of what even members of his own party have stated, you'll be hailed as a journalistic messiah.


Should we also listen to what Kamala Harris said about Biden... being a member of Biden’s own party? You argue the same way most Americans are tired of.... problem is you don’t get what you are doing is off putting.


Yes we should, Biden sucks. Most democrats will freely admit that. So back to the topic at hand: what issue are you taking with the sentence you've highlighted? I'm quite certain that what I've said is true, and most historians would agree with me. If you need some points of reference, you can check his twitter over the last eight years. If you'd prefer I argue in a different way, I'm all ears.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby penny lane on Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:44 pm

It's like a CAPS/Pens play off series. Rollercoaster of emotions. We'll see if we need game 7 and / or sudden death OT. I miss the distraction of hockey this week.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,762
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Pingvin na vsyu zhizn

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby pekkasteele on Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:40 pm

theblackarts wrote:A final appeal to any conservative, independent/third party, or undecided voters who are planning to vote in person:

I’m not going to bother citing data or articles (as I believe it’s your personal responsibility as a citizen to both read scientific journals and suss out independent, unbiased journalism), but rather I want to briefly try and appeal to you on a human, ethical level.

First, if you are someone who is of the mind that “liberals want to destroy America,” or “the radical left wants to make us all socialists,” or any similar nonsense, I need you to drop it, and check in with reality. Just like I believe that all conservatives aren’t fascists or Nazis or white supremacists, I need you remain level-headed and read this post as an American citizen who recognizes that this country needs a lot of help right now. There is no progress to be made in believing that our neighbors want to destroy us, we all believe that we are fighting for the fate of the country and doing the right thing. There are very few things more important than regaining our sense of decency and common sense, as indecent prosperity really isn’t prosperity at all.

It is a disprovable, etched in stone fact that Donald Trump’s actions and rhetoric mirror the words and deeds of our greatest authoritarian political adversaries. This is not acceptable for the United States of America, regardless of how you feel about his policies. There is no liberal health-care plan, planned parenthood budget, social justice movement, court-packing scheme, or any other reality-based concern that should alarm you to the degree of Trump's narcissistic ransacking of our democratic stability, autonomy, and political norms. We have had sixteen years of democratic presidency in the past thirty years, and the country has been just fine (given the recessions that’s an understatement). No republican administration has come close to the flirtatious authoritarianism that we are seeing with the Trump Administration, and that is objectively provable. To make matters worse, Trump provides infinite justification for the illiberal left, which adds even more unnecessary fuel to the fire, which makes it difficult to check such obvious institutional abuse. If you read the words of foreign journalists who have experienced authoritarianism at any level, the comparisons to Trump’s administration are uncanny. We are better than this.

The public needs to believe in the presidency. The public needs to believe in our intelligence community. The public needs to believe in the FBI. The public needs to believe in our judiciary. There is no room for excuses, for “he’s just joking,” etc. etc. Trust in our institutions is paramount to a healthy democracy, and the erosion that has taken place in the past four years seems irrecoverable to me at times. The intelligence relationships that have been damaged or destroyed are especially concerning.

If the US is to remain a beacon of liberty and hope, freedom and opportunity, a leader in technology and innovation, and most importantly an example of a government that weeds itself of corruption, conservatives MUST take their party back. Conservatism must once again stand for decency, justice, and small (but effortlessly functional) government. There needs to be room in conservativism for intellectualism and science, research and reason. When you are being won over by rallying cries instead of persuasive arguments, something is wrong. Conservatives MUST understand that the current trajectory of their party is not sustainable, they cannot both win this political battle and keep the country and the party they love. We need healthy debate to flourish; we need to agree to disagree on certain issues. Those are brute facts. We need to compromise and move forward together, not tear each other apart. The democrats have a long, long, way to go, but removing Trump from office is a referendum on authoritarianism that cannot be overlooked.

We need to return to treating each other with civility. We need to return to respecting those who are different than us, and maybe even hold opinions that negatively affect us. We need to remember that we share a planet that desperately needs our attention. We need to recognize when we have enough to give to our neighbor who may not be so fortunate. This election cannot be about us vs. them, it needs to be about us vs. “me.” America is dominant and admirable when we are united. Make no mistake, no one has done more to drive us apart than Donald Trump, and not for the gain of anyone but himself. This is not my opinion; you can count his inflammatory statements and weight their effect. His rhetoric is simply indefensible. On a weekly basis he makes remarks that would sink any other candidacy or presidency on their own.

Joe Biden is not a magic bullet; he is far from it. The democrats are not our saviors, they suffer from many of the same ills as the republicans. But imagine a government where cabinet positions are filled by those who are qualified to lead in their respective positions. Imagine if our intelligence officers could deliver briefings that contain harsh truths about our supposed allies. Imagine if our foreign relations were a long game of chess instead of a shouting match at recess. Imagine if instead of trying to bring back coal and manufacturing we mobilized ourselves in renewable energy and prepared ourselves to deal with automation. Imagine if the EPA acted in a way that was both responsible to our environment and to our economy. Imagine if the CDC had the funding and support it needed to research a pandemic, announce findings, and then change its recommendations after new data were uncovered, with the full encouragement of our executive branch. Imagine if a moderate SCJ was nominated. The list is endless. “Big” government can also be responsible government if we make it that way. Higher taxes can benefit our quality of life, not just our bank accounts. There are modern problems facing us that need modern solutions, and Trump has proven to us that he is not interested in any such innovation. Imagine if we had spent the last four years improving our health care, redesigning our immigration policies, fortifying our trade and foreign relations, expanding our renewable energy potential... instead of lashing out at each other. Trump is not the source of this problem, but he is unmistakably the primary catalyst. Let's remember what it's like to work toward a common good, instead of victory for our party at any cost.

Please consider a vote for Biden (or a third party), for the sake of the republican party, and the country itself, as Trump cannot, under any circumstances, be allowed to remain in office.


Very oh so very well written. Hopefully Pennsylvania follows Michigan and Wisconsin now.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:30 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Zarovich on Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:28 pm

Gratz Joe Biden
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,006
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Waiting for the write-up...

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby interstorm on Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:04 pm

And Harris too - first woman to serve as Vice President in the history of our country. Like her policies or not, allowing diversity like this is what progress looks like.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,110
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: From IglooReport - same user name

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby pekkasteele on Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:10 pm

Gratz to Biden & Harris!
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:30 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby interstorm on Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:00 am

FYI for those who would donate (not sure why), Trump knows he lost the election and is drawing this all out to motivate his base to give him more money. More money not for any defense of the election - more money to pay off his own debts and personal use. This is the same crap as the "Build the Wall" fund.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-camp ... -debt/#app

Here's the thing about Trump - I get that people are frustrated with government, that they felt left out of any recovery from the great recession or that it shouldn't have happened (which occurred under and was caused very much because of Republican policies). But Trump was NEVER the tough guy that drains the swamp and bullies the system for the betterment of the little guy. He NEVER cared about the little guy and this is just yet again another example. He should concede the election. He knows he lost and he should ensure the transfer of power that has been an important foundation for the county's stability. But instead he ignores what is right for America and creates a false-drama that needlessly incenses his base in order to collect money under the banner of one cause but truthfully is used for a completely different one.

I think the Trump / Anti-Trump divide in this country is so wide because it is clearly apparent what his motivations are - they have been the same his whole life, he has never cared for anyone but himself and he has destroyed everything he touches. What Anti-Trumpers cannot understand is the mindset of those who stick with him, knowingly donate to false causes such as this then scream at the top of their lungs about the corruption of government. There appears to be absolutely zero rational behind following this man and those who do not cannot understand why someone would willingly eat up his rhetoric that even he doesn't believe.

I do hope as time moves on everyone can see him for the grifter he is, see this latest stunt as yet another (and hopefully last) theft from the people that trust him the most.

Trump supporters, you deserve better!
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,110
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: From IglooReport - same user name

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby penny lane on Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:08 am

The lawsuit money people are sending; go fund Trump his own Network.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,762
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Pingvin na vsyu zhizn

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby pronovost19 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:54 pm

Template for arguing from the left:

I think------>followed by an opinion-------->not backed up by any facts or proof--------->followed by----------------->because I am a liberal and I am the greatest moral authority ***** (forget and pretend that the killing of babies never takes place in this country).


Note: * One Asterisk denotes shedding a single fake tear so everyone thinks you care
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,044
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:22 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Gonchar's #1 fan on Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:15 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Template for arguing from the left:

I think------>followed by an opinion-------->not backed up by any facts or proof--------->followed by----------------->because I am a liberal and I am the greatest moral authority ***** (forget and pretend that the killing of babies never takes place in this country).


Note: * One Asterisk denotes shedding a single fake tear so everyone thinks you care


good one :thumb:
Gonchar's #1 fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:58 am
Location: Fools and Trolls

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby pekkasteele on Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:45 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Template for arguing from the left:

I think------>followed by an opinion-------->not backed up by any facts or proof--------->followed by----------------->because I am a liberal and I am the greatest moral authority ***** (forget and pretend that the killing of babies never takes place in this country).


Note: * One Asterisk denotes shedding a single fake tear so everyone thinks you care


Template for arguing from the Trumpsupporters:

It's the mexicans fault --------------> It´s the blacks (they don't use this word but I don't want to write the one they use) fault ------------------> Give me more guns -------------> It´s someone else's fault -------------> more guns ------------> It's Bidens fault ---------------> Aaaah lame media is telling lies ""FAKE NEWS!!!!!1111" ------------> It's the komies fault --------> Trump, WHAT. A. MAN!! ---------> Everyone is a sheep, we are the only ones that is smart enough to se the truth.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:30 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Jim on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:16 pm

pekkasteele wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:Template for arguing from the left:

I think------>followed by an opinion-------->not backed up by any facts or proof--------->followed by----------------->because I am a liberal and I am the greatest moral authority ***** (forget and pretend that the killing of babies never takes place in this country).


Note: * One Asterisk denotes shedding a single fake tear so everyone thinks you care


Template for arguing from the Trumpsupporters:

It's the mexicans fault --------------> It´s the blacks (they don't use this word but I don't want to write the one they use) fault ------------------> Give me more guns -------------> It´s someone else's fault -------------> more guns ------------> It's Bidens fault ---------------> Aaaah lame media is telling lies ""FAKE NEWS!!!!!1111" ------------> It's the komies fault --------> Trump, WHAT. A. MAN!! ---------> Everyone is a sheep, we are the only ones that is smart enough to se the truth.


There is very much a "It's their fault that I (whatever the failed at)." Well, actually being Trump supporters, it would be more like "It's there fault that I (whatever the failed at)."
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,192
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Jim on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:19 pm

A serious question for those that say that Biden is going to take all of my guns... as a gun owner (including "assault weapons")... What guns did Obama take from me? What guns did he make it so that I could no longer get? Conversely, what guns can I get today that I couldn't get the day Trump took over?

I seriously don't know the answer, but I know that Obama was supposed to be taking all of my guns. At least that is what the NRA kept telling me, and keeps telling me about Biden.

BTW... if in the DC area, go to the NRA museum just W-SW of DC. A MAY ZING!
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,192
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby pronovost19 on Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:55 am

You know I just like to stir the pot. :pop:
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,044
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:22 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby theblackarts on Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:49 am

pronovost19 wrote:You know I just like to stir the pot. :pop:


When you have a sitting president refusing to concede an election he indisputably lost, for the first time in American history, and then firing government employees in key national security positions and replacing them with cronies... that's probably a bad time to stir the pot.

Maybe you could use your political prowess for something more constructive, like providing insight into how to rebuild your party that's lost the popular vote in all but one of the last eight elections. Or perhaps how to accomplish your political goals without resorting to autocratic tendencies. Again, stirring the pot is probably not helpful right now, at a time when conservatives need to do some introspection and answer some hard questions.

Additionally, claiming that liberals argue without data when republicans are literally an anti-science party is a curious take.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby interstorm on Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:17 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Template for arguing from the left:

I think------>followed by an opinion-------->not backed up by any facts or proof--------->followed by----------------->because I am a liberal and I am the greatest moral authority ***** (forget and pretend that the killing of babies never takes place in this country).


Note: * One Asterisk denotes shedding a single fake tear so everyone thinks you care


[url]
https://i.redd.it/sgroqbxis8z51.jpg
[/url]

pronovost, this you (or are you still clinging to your non-existent war while fighting for the guys stealing from you)
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,110
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: From IglooReport - same user name

Re: Politics... have at it!!!

Postby Grunthy on Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:12 pm

The grunthy is back baby....
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,329
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

Previous

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


e-mail