Another Question

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Another Question

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:08 pm

We have much e-mail to transfer from Outlook and Outlook Express to the mac. it seems like IMAP is the way to go. Is there a way to sign up for a free IMAP account somewhere?
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,790
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby Admin on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:21 pm

I don't have a Mac because they are evil but I did find this link at O'Reilly which may (or may not) be helpful:
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/9928
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11,051
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Re: Another Question

Postby Daniel on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:46 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:We have much e-mail to transfer from Outlook and Outlook Express to the mac. it seems like IMAP is the way to go. Is there a way to sign up for a free IMAP account somewhere?


Why would you want to use IMAP? If you are transferring your email and settings, you ought to be able to export to a disk of some sorts (floppy, cd, etc) and then import on the Mac.

Follow this, going from a PC to a MAC: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php? ... 5164915651
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,110
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:50 pm

Did someone just say "Floppy"??? As in "Floppy Disk"? As in a 5 1/4??? What is this... 1991?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby Bowser on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:53 pm

Oh my god... like.. so... yesterday.... like... can u believe

like... like.... like...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:54 pm

Just transfer the images to Punch Cards...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:57 pm

Jim wrote:Just transfer the images to Punch Cards...


Where do I sign up to get time on the IBM 029 card punch?

BtW, does anyone know how to use the replicator drum?

;-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Admin on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Jim wrote:Just transfer the images to Punch Cards...

Maybe just ask the senders to re-type the messages and send them again.
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11,051
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Postby Daniel on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:08 pm

Jim wrote:Did someone just say "Floppy"??? As in "Floppy Disk"? As in a 5 1/4??? What is this... 1991?


Excuse me, perhaps I should have said flash drive. I just figured a regular 3.5 floppy would be cheaper. Image
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,110
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:14 pm

Ah.... a 3.5... It's 1996... HA!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:52 pm

Jim wrote:Ah.... a 3.5... It's 1996... HA!


Jim... I go back to the days of Mylar puch tape.

Actually, the first COBOl program I ever wrote (Yes we used punch cards), eliminated an old IBM 407 tabulator. You know, the ones with the wire boards that we used to call breadboards :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Wow did you know Edison?

Postby rasbatch on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:54 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Jim wrote:Ah.... a 3.5... It's 1996... HA!


Jim... I go back to the days of Mylar puch tape.

Actually, the first COBOl program I ever wrote (Yes we used punch cards), eliminated an old IBM 407 tabulator. You know, the ones with the wire boards that we used to call breadboards :-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,128
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:05 am
Location: morgantown WV

Postby Daniel on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Jim wrote:Ah.... a 3.5... It's 1996... HA!


Hey, don't mock 1996. Image

Besides, a 3.5 floppy is still a pretty good form of saving data.Image
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,110
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:08 pm

Daniel wrote:
Jim wrote:Ah.... a 3.5... It's 1996... HA!


Hey, don't mock 1996. Image

Besides, a 3.5 floppy is still a pretty good form of saving data.Image


As soon as I got my first 1Gb SANData USB Jump Drive, I promised myself I'd never touch a floppy again. :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jerez on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:14 pm

Admin wrote:I don't have a Mac because they are evil but I did find this link at O'Reilly which may (or may not) be helpful:
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/9928


Maybe you saying they're evil is the best recommendation of all? :P Seriously, though, why do you say they're evil?





I have a new love, and his name is "Mac" . . . >insert liquid sexy eyes smilie here<
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 831
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: gone gone gone

Postby Daniel on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:30 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Jim wrote:Ah.... a 3.5... It's 1996... HA!


Hey, don't mock 1996. Image

Besides, a 3.5 floppy is still a pretty good form of saving data.Image


As soon as I got my first 1Gb SANData USB Jump Drive, I promised myself I'd never touch a floppy again. :-)


Quite frankly, I am a cheap %!!%$%$#@%. That is why I keep my floppy. That and Microsoft Money and Firefox bookmarks are just too easy to move to a floppy. Mostly because I am cheap. Image
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,110
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Dallas

IMAP

Postby Guruzilla on Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:40 pm

I think myrealbox.com (a Novell demo site) still gives IMAP (+SSL, too) access; they're not always accepting new users, though. If it's available, try that, though.
Guruzilla
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:14 pm
Location: "Up to Malkin to me, as up to the Moon."

Postby DelPen on Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:44 pm

Daniel wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Jim wrote:Ah.... a 3.5... It's 1996... HA!


Hey, don't mock 1996. Image

Besides, a 3.5 floppy is still a pretty good form of saving data.Image


As soon as I got my first 1Gb SANData USB Jump Drive, I promised myself I'd never touch a floppy again. :-)


Quite frankly, I am a cheap %!!%$%$#@%. That is why I keep my floppy. That and Microsoft Money and Firefox bookmarks are just too easy to move to a floppy. Mostly because I am cheap. Image


Come on, shell out the $10 and get a 128 MB USB flash drive you can keep on your keychain.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,068
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby PensFanBryan on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:06 pm

I think Daniel is right on this one, you should be able to Export / Import... I bought one of those new Mac Minis and thats how i did it to get them from PC to Mac.
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,914
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:42 am
Location: Saxonburg, PA

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:13 pm

DL DVD burner: $45

DL DVD: $2

8.5 Gb of storage: Priceless
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby Admin on Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:36 pm

Jim wrote:DL DVD: $2

Are they ever going to come out with DL RW?
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11,051
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:42 pm

I do not know... but a quality regualr 4.7G DVD is about $0.30... so it isn't like it would break the bank to backup.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh


Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chefpatrick871, JeffDFD, mikey287 and 5 guests


e-mail