LetsTalkWine...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

LetsTalkWine...

Postby canaan on Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:48 pm

Who are are wine drinkers? I've been on a wine kick for the past 2 months or so and i'm really digging all of the intricacies of smelling and tasting wines. I'm still a newb, but i'm learning (with my ultimate introduction to wine book in pocket) and it would be interesting to here about some good local (PA) wineries. This thread is for the wine folk. While I quite thoroughly enjoy beer, I'm really enjoying the culture and environment of the wine community so far.

I just picked up the holiday selection from Chaddsford Winery out here in Eastern, PA.

edit: and by talking wine, i do not mean talking about sid's temperament on the ice :P
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ville5 on Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:46 am

Dago Red. Nuff said.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:18 pm

I don't really know of any good local wineries. I went to one near Altoona before with my girlfriend. We got this fruity wine that was like a berry blend or something like that. I was a couple years ago so that's all I really remember.

As for imports try a Sangiovese. It is a red wine that isn't dry or sweet. I think the state stores carry two brands: Santa Cristina and Placido Primavera.

Try googling PA wineries and you should find some websites that can give you more info.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:46 pm

Thunder Bird, Night Train, and Wild Irish Rose all make for very cheap interesting nights.....that aside, some of the better wines that I enjoy and recomend are Chateau Graysac Bordeaux, Yellow Tail Shiraz, Rojo Mojo Shiraz

There are a lot of very nice wineries at Geneva, OH ( by Ashtubula not far from Erie)
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:16 pm

You might try Stone Villa Wine Cellars. We went there over Thanksgiving and brought back half a case. While they don't grow many of their own grapes, they do have a wide range from sweet to dry. I am much more a dry fan, and I found several that were pretty good. My in-laws like sweeter wines, and they found several, too. They do have tastings so you can try to decide which ones you like best.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:45 pm

much appreciated for the input everybody!
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ville5 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:03 am

I rarely drink wine, but one that I do enjoy is a riesling by Chateau-Ste. Michelle. Very good imho.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:17 am

the book i'm reading has a lot about the diversity that reisling's have. it also talks about the greed that a lot of winemakers have concerning this particular wine. once considered a 'snobby' flavor, it's now looked at with a tinge of ridicule b/c of the terrible reislings that have arose from said greed. i personally enjoy reisling and chardonnay as they are fruitier.

im glad to hear someone has said something positive about a reisling as their favorite.

is the chateau-ste michelle an expensive wine, ville?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:18 am

I'm very much into Australian wine, especially Shiraz. Penfolds is an excellent winery.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:03 pm

ville5 wrote:I rarely drink wine, but one that I do enjoy is a riesling by Chateau-Ste. Michelle. Very good imho.

You can't go wrong with Chateau-Ste. Michelle wines... they're good quality across the board. I'm particularly fond of their Cabernet.

While I don't know much about PA wines, I'm fond of those from the Pacific Northwest.

Long Island has a significant wine region on the East End of the Island. Good quality, but not the best value. IMHO.

I like Chilean wines the best. Check out a winery called Los Vascos or another called Montgras. Both make outstanding Cab's for less than $10 a bottle. I like these better than any domestic I've ever had for under $50.

I used to work for a company who owned a subsidary that was one of Californias largest wine distribution companies, so fire away.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby canaan on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:53 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:I like Chilean wines the best. Check out a winery called Los Vascos or another called Montgras. Both make outstanding Cab's for less than $10 a bottle. I like these better than any domestic I've ever had for under $50.

i just got off of the phone with the wine shop down the street and i would have to special order the Montgras (which is fine by me) but there is a minimum necessary order of a case (not fine by me...lol).

what would be the best way of acquiring a bottle without having to purchase a case? maybe check some delaware/nj stores?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:58 pm

canaan wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:I like Chilean wines the best. Check out a winery called Los Vascos or another called Montgras. Both make outstanding Cab's for less than $10 a bottle. I like these better than any domestic I've ever had for under $50.

i just got off of the phone with the wine shop down the street and i would have to special order the Montgras (which is fine by me) but there is a minimum necessary order of a case (not fine by me...lol).

what would be the best way of acquiring a bottle without having to purchase a case? maybe check some delaware/nj stores?

The Montgras is tougher to find than the Los Vacos for sure. Even up here in NY I only know of one store where they carry it as a stock item.

Since you're dealing with the state store system in PA, you probably are going to have problem wherever you go. I'd try Delaware for sure. Maybe NJ. Do you know anyone going to the game in Buffalo? Maybe you could try a store up there. (Call first)

At 7.99 a bottle a case will only run you $100 and I promise you, you won't regret it.

What is the status of internet sales in PA? Is it legal yet?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby nexguy66 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:59 pm

Right now I am enjoying a very nice vintage 2007 Dr. Pepper. Price, $1.19 a bottle.

Right off the bat I get a sense of surgar cane fields. A wave of sweetness followed by a sharp tickling sensation up near my nose area. wonderful.
The next enticing caramel flavor envelopes my tongue as though it had been wrapped in several miniature down comforters. As this sensation lingers, extacy begins to happen. Tears stream down my face and into my mouth adding to the nuance that is Dr. Pepper.

Finally, as the last drips of nectar stream from the bottle, I yearn for more as the smell stays with me since I usually spill some on my shirt.

It's not for everyone and some say it's an aquired taste. But if your budget allows, please indulge at least once in your life.
nexguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:02 pm

as far as i'm aware, you can't do internet sales in PA, but im not 100% clear on that. the lady at the shop told me that the price/bottle was gonna be around 12.49 (which is still a decent price), but i just don't want to splurge on a wine i've never tasted before.

that is a great idea about the buffalo game, i'm gonna call around today. thanks a bunch (of grapes) ....lame.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:02 pm

canaan wrote: thanks a bunch (of grapes) ....lame.

You fail.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:02 pm

nexguy66 wrote:Right now I am enjoying a very nice vintage 2007 Dr. Pepper. Price, $1.19 a bottle.

Right off the bat I get a sense of surgar cane fields. A wave of sweetness followed by a sharp tickling sensation up near my nose area. wonderful.
The next enticing caramel flavor envelopes my tongue as though it had been wrapped in several miniature down comforters. As this sensation lingers, extacy begins to happen. Tears stream down my face and into my mouth adding to the nuance that is Dr. Pepper.

Finally, as the last drips of nectar stream from the bottle, I yearn for more as the smell stays with me since I usually spill some on my shirt.

It's not for everyone and some say it's an aquired taste. But if your budget allows, please indulge at least once in your life.

i lol'ed.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:03 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
canaan wrote: thanks a bunch (of grapes) ....lame.

You fail.

haha...i was expecting some recourse for that comment.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ron` on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:00 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:You might try Stone Villa Wine Cellars. We went there over Thanksgiving and brought back half a case. While they don't grow many of their own grapes, they do have a wide range from sweet to dry. I am much more a dry fan, and I found several that were pretty good. My in-laws like sweeter wines, and they found several, too. They do have tastings so you can try to decide which ones you like best.
Been there, not bad at all. Typically buy NY or NC US wines though bulk. Requires a road trip of course, since the PLCB here has to extort everything shipped.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Admin on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:14 pm

nexguy66 wrote:Right now I am enjoying a very nice vintage 2007 Dr. Pepper. Price, $1.19 a bottle.

The Holiday 2007 Coca-Cola Classic has turned out quite nicely. Be sure to let it breathe a bit though.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: LetsTalkWine...

Postby prez41 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:22 pm

canaan wrote:Who are are wine drinkers? I've been on a wine kick for the past 2 months or so and i'm really digging all of the intricacies of smelling and tasting wines. I'm still a newb, but i'm learning (with my ultimate introduction to wine book in pocket) and it would be interesting to here about some good local (PA) wineries. This thread is for the wine folk. While I quite thoroughly enjoy beer, I'm really enjoying the culture and environment of the wine community so far.

I just picked up the holiday selection from Chaddsford Winery out here in Eastern, PA.

edit: and by talking wine, i do not mean talking about sid's temperament on the ice :P

Simple rule of thumb with wine: If it is not in a box, it is not worth drinking.
prez41
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:26 pm

prez41 wrote:wine: If it is not in a box, it is not worth drinking.

ah yes, the franzia frenzy...had a couple of those nights in college -- carrying the "purse" of wine and pouring it in people's mouths as i walk by.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:35 pm

Admin wrote:

The Holiday 2007 Coca-Cola Classic has turned out quite nicely. Be sure to let it breathe a bit though.

2007 had too much rain... the only worse vintage was the 1987 'New Coke', now that was a complete disaster. :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:38 pm

I do not drink... wine.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby prez41 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:43 pm

canaan wrote:

ah yes, the franzia frenzy...had a couple of those nights in college -- carrying the "purse" of wine and pouring it in people's mouths as i walk by.

Anyone who says they don't enjoy boxed wine is a liar and cannot be trusted
prez41
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:48 pm

prez41 wrote:
canaan wrote:

Anyone who says they don't enjoy boxed wine is a liar and cannot be trusted

haha...good theory...it works well with my "never trust a man with two first names" philosophy
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NHR