A Pens Fan returns to Pittsburgh after 6 years in Jersey!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

A Pens Fan returns to Pittsburgh after 6 years in Jersey!

Postby StatePen on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:12 am

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here as much as I used to, but I still read the board every day (have been since probably 96). I'm posting some good news today.

My wife and I had moved out of the Western PA area after college for jobs, but about a month ago we moved to the North Side of Pittsburgh and started up our own business in the Strip. Anyway we're very excited to be back because we love Pittsburgh (grew up in Latrobe). We were at the game last night for Sid's 100th point and were lucky enough to be in NJ for his first point. I must say that Mellon arena, as old as it is, is still better than "Brendan Byrne" arena in the swamp. And to think all those jealous Devils fans were chanting "overrated" to Crosby back in October! :roll:

Anyway, I wouldn't normally do this, but since it is an NHR forum I'd like to invite all Coffee/Tea/Soda (POP) drinking Pens fans to come down to our new venture:

Caffé Intermezzo
2018 Smallman Street (near St. Stan's church)
The Strip District
Pittsburgh PA 15222
Mon-Sat 7-4 (open later when the weather is nice)

We have a great selection of coffee, tea, espresso, pastries, etc. Business has been good and I'm hoping one of the Pens players will drop in sometime for a nice cappuccino (does Colby like espresso?) so we can get a picture for our wall.

So thanks for reading, please stop by and support your local businesses so we can get season tickets once this new barn gets built.

Luke
Last edited by StatePen on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StatePen

Postby Peter on Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Luke, are your pastries shipped in or "home-made?"

Good luck with your business.
Peter

Postby StatePen on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:21 pm

Peter wrote:Luke, are your pastries shipped in or "home-made?"

The pastries are picked up daily from local bakers. Currently we buy from:

Priory Fine Pastries (North Side) - cupcakes, mini pies, cookies.
Mediterra Bakehouse (Near Robinson) - NY style bagels, breads for our sandwiches, cookies.
Enrico Biscotti Co. (Strip District) - biscotti (duh), croissants, scones, brownies, many other items.

We make all of our sandwiches fresh daily using local ingredients from places like Mediterra and Penn Mac. Good stuff. We also get many nice sodas, including Red Ribbon and PA Punch from Natrona Bottling Co.

Stop in sometime, we close at 4 but we stay open a little later when the weather is nice (sometimes we stay open until 6pm which is unheard of in the Strip). It works out well for our Amish friends who have to get to bed early.
StatePen

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:49 pm

We also get many nice sodas, including Red Ribbon and PA Punch from Natrona Bottling Co.

You must have been gone from the Burgh for a long time. Everyone knows it's pop! :D
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:55 pm

StatePen wrote:

It works out well for our Amish friends who have to get to bed early.

damn, the guy knows how to advertise :lol:
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby StatePen on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:01 pm

Kicksave wrote:
StatePen wrote:

It works out well for our Amish friends who have to get to bed early.

damn, the guy knows how to advertise :lol:

Lurking LGP for the past 10 years has benefits, after all :twisted:
StatePen

Postby StatePen on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
We also get many nice sodas, including Red Ribbon and PA Punch from Natrona Bottling Co.

You must have been gone from the Burgh for a long time. Everyone knows it's pop! :D

6 years in North Jersey (Hoboken to be exact) will beat the pop right out of you. I'll get it "dahn".
StatePen

Postby Peter on Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:44 pm

StatePen wrote: It works out well for our Amish friends who have to get to bed early.

I'm in. Actually I'm often at the strip very early in the morning. Like 6 or 7 on Saturdays. That's the best time to go.
Peter

Postby StatePen on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:22 am

We officially open at 7 but if you're there early we will probably be there. I get to the shop at 6am.
StatePen

Postby Jim on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:25 am

Do you offer Chai? Real Chai, not that powdered crap or the tea bags Starbucks has?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: A Pens Fan returns to Pittsburgh after 6 years in Jersey

Postby penny lane on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:33 pm

StatePen wrote:Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here as much as I used to, but I still read the board every day (have been since probably 96). I'm posting some good news today.

My wife and I had moved out of the Western PA area after college for jobs, but about a month ago we moved to the North Side of Pittsburgh and started up our own business in the Strip. Anyway we're very excited to be back because we love Pittsburgh (grew up in Latrobe). We were at the game last night for Sid's 100th point and were lucky enough to be in NJ for his first point. I must say that Mellon arena, as old as it is, is still better than "Brendan Byrne" arena in the swamp. And to think all those jealous Devils fans were chanting "overrated" to Crosby back in October! :roll:

Anyway, I wouldn't normally do this, but since it is an NHR forum I'd like to invite all Coffee/Tea/Soda (POP) drinking Pens fans to come down to our new venture:

Caffé Intermezzo
2018 Smallman Street (near St. Stan's church)
The Strip District
Pittsburgh PA 15222
Mon-Sat 7-4 (open later when the weather is nice)

We have a great selection of coffee, tea, espresso, pastries, etc. Business has been good and I'm hoping one of the Pens players will drop in sometime for a nice cappuccino (does Colby like espresso?) so we can get a picture for our wall.

So thanks for reading, please stop by and support your local businesses so we can get season tickets once this new barn gets built.

Luke

my friend met you maybe 2 weeks ago on a saturday.
She was raving about your knowledge of coffee! I'll
have to stop down.
I enjoy the lattes, irish cream, amaretto...
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Peter on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:13 pm

Do you serve decaf?
Peter

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:43 pm

Jim wrote:Do you offer Chai? Real Chai, not that powdered crap or the tea bags Starbucks has?

Jim, I would have never pegged you as a "tea sipper".
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kicksave on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:46 pm

Peter wrote:Do you serve decaf?

You would seem like a decaf person.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:09 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Jim, I would have never pegged you as a "tea sipper".

Wonder if he does the pinkie out thing?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby StatePen on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:12 pm

Jim wrote:Do you offer Chai? Real Chai, not that powdered crap or the tea bags Starbucks has?

Well, currently we have Oregon Chai, which we mix with milk then steam until frothy. It is very good/popular, but I do know that our tea supplier is working on a "real" chai that we will eventually make the switch to. Please stop in and let me know what you like, maybe I'll be able to get it.
StatePen

Postby StatePen on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:12 pm

Peter wrote:Do you serve decaf?

We have decaf espresso and drip coffee. We also can flavor that with Amish Cream, I mean... :wink:
StatePen

Postby StatePen on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:15 pm

Admin wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:Jim, I would have never pegged you as a "tea sipper".

Wonder if he does the pinkie out thing?

I will have my camera ready if I see any extended pinkies!

BTW, ALDO coffee in Mt Lebanon did a nice little write up about our shop... check it out and definitely go to ALDO if you like great coffee (they buy from the same roaster as we do). Rich and Melanie at Aldo are good people.

http://www.aldocoffee.com/2006/04/intermezzo_caff.html
StatePen

Re: A Pens Fan returns to Pittsburgh after 6 years in Jersey

Postby StatePen on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:18 pm

penny lane wrote:my friend met you maybe 2 weeks ago on a saturday.
She was raving about your knowledge of coffee! I'll
have to stop down.
I enjoy the lattes, irish cream, amaretto...

Very cool- we try not to do the pretentious coffeehouse thing. Definitely stop in and say hello. The Strip is a lot of fun (and Pamelas and the great pancakes are right around the corner).
StatePen

Return to NHR