Political or controversial subjects.....

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Political or controversial subjects.....

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:57 pm

I am wondering why no one has made any controversial posts in the good ol NHR area. No complaints about Iraq, or high oil prices or what we should do about Iran, or Hillary Clinton sucks or George Bush sucks.... Is there an agreement that no discussions of that nature are allowed?

Or do we have the type of crowd here that isnt mature enough to have discussions like that here? Meaning, resorting to name calling or treating people differently when they find out your a liberal or conservative, or libertarian (which I am).

Or, do we all just want to talk about Hockey and screw everything else?
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:32 pm

For the most part, I was told that there were other boards ( :shock: ) that were for that type of subject. Those are the best place for those types of discussions.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:48 pm

Those types of threads were "discouraged" by the Great Gorilla on the old board because sooner or later, they all went downhill.

Perhaps that unofficial policy is still in place.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:04 am

Well thats unfortunate they are discouraged. Nothing wrong with a good debate, heck, someone might even learn something.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:13 am

Feel free to debate such topics. I'll feel free to not get involved. 8)
Last edited by Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:31 am

FallenHero96 wrote:Well thats unfortunate they are discouraged. Nothing wrong with a good debate, heck, someone might even learn something.

That might be true if the people involved were able to have civil disagreements and/or were willing or able to see the other side of things.

None of that ever happened though. Every one of those threads consisted of people parroting the same points over and over and almost all of them degenerated into an insult-hurling contest.

The board is better of without them IMO. At least if they ever resurface now, they'll be easier to ignore with the new format and the separate forums.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:33 am

I agree, they're too distracting. There are other avenues to talk politics - frankly, i've had enough of politicians and politics this past year than I ever cared to deal with.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:05 pm

Honestly, with a whole sperate area for NHR posts and the way it's set up so the subject line is only viusible and not the whole thread taking up the whole page I see no problem with civilized debate about whatever you want. Civilized is the key word here though.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to NHR