Finally got HD yesterday!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Finally got HD yesterday!

Postby minimal on Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:43 am

After buying a 37" Toshiba LCD about a month ago, and fighting with my condo board to change the rules regarding dishes on our balconies...(we have a starchoice dish on the roof, but it is old and the pre-wiring they did when they built our building does not support HD)

Ended up having to go with our local digital cable provider (Shaw) for my HD fix... Only bad thing is they currently only carry 9 HD channels. But... CBC, TSN and Sportsnet are all I need... I can not believe how great games look in HD! My God, even my Girlfriend, who thought I was crazy for shelling out the $300 for the receiver, was impressed. Whew. Just in time for the playoffs!

One question though... anyone here using DVI to connect their HD Box to their set? I am currently using Component Cables, but my TV does support DVI (as well as HDMI, but the box does not have this) Is it worth getting a DVI cable?

Cheers

M.
minimal
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ben Klingston on Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:16 pm

Congrats and welcome to the HD world. It really is awesome.

Regarding the DVI/HDMI connection... if you're a robot, you can probably tell a difference between them and component cable connections. I can't.

But I've heard that the HD-DVD players which were recently introduced onto the market will connect via DVI or HDMI (or both). Not sure if the players will also support component cable connections...
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby minimal on Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:22 pm

Thanks man. That was what I figured... Since I only have one HDMI input, I will save it for an HD-DVD payer.

M.
minimal
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tocchet on Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:48 pm

Congrats on your purchase!! I got mine in Sept '05 and love it still.

Re: HDMI, don't waste your time or money. I didn't see any difference between that connection and component, so I went with the cheaper component wires and returned the HDMI.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to NHR