"Unusual" recipes?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

"Unusual" recipes?

Postby Tomas on Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:26 pm

Following the success of the pork recipes (http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... light=pork ), I am looking for something similar that involves other types of meat as well (though pork is still welcome). Personally, when I cook, I always try to go for something strange or unusual - i.e. something you could not get in a restaurant. Here are my two kick-off recipes:

Chicken with pineapple and honey (a lot of honey :D ):

1) Cut chicken breasts (I usually do it with a small Tyson pack) into strips. Salt and pepper them. Add olive oil, soy sauce. Dust with ginger, and let stand (I'd say for at least 1 hour).
2) Saute 1 larger chopped onion and 1 leek in oil until soft. Add 1 pineapple (preferably fresh - I use Del Monte cored pineapple from Wal-Mart, though a can would probably be OK as well) cut into cubes (I also pour in all the pineapple juice). Last, add up to five (weaker personalities may start with less, but 5 tastes pretty good :) ) table spoons of honey. Mix it up, get it to boil, and set aside.
3) On a hot pan, sear the chicken breast meat. When done, add it to the pineapple mixture. Mix it up (I usually get it back to the boiling point again), add more of soy sauce. Ultimately, everything should be BOTH enough sweet (you don't have to be worry about that) and enough salty to really accentuate the taste of this meal.
4) Serve with rice.

African chicken:

1) Cut chicken breasts into larger pieces, salt and pepper them. Dust with 1 spoon of thyme.
2) Put the meat to a baking pan. On top of it, add about 1/2 lbs. of cut mushrooms (preferably white champignons). On top of that, add two bananas cut into narrow slices. Pour cream over all of it. Bake in the oven until the meat is soft.
3) Serve with baked potatoes or with rice.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:42 pm

Tomas, i made this a couple weeks ago and it was awesmazing.

i had to scan it and pass it along (it comes from "The Barbecue Bible")

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w210 ... in_chx.jpg
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Judy on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:18 pm

Actually Tomas, that first recipe sounds good to me.

Here's a wing recipe that sounds really gross, but is really good!

* 5 pounds frozen chicken wings
* 1 cup apricot preserves
* 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
* 1 (16 ounce) bottle Catalina salad dressing

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Cut the chicken wings into individual pieces and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet (you may need two cookie sheets).
3. Spread apricot preserves over wings. Sprinkle dry onion soup mix over wings, then pour Catalina dressing all over. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to NHR