The Texans are dumber than I thought...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Texans are dumber than I thought...

Postby Rocco on Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:19 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/n ... id=2425818

And the guys at the NFL network said that they reached a deal w/Mario Williams. If I had to choose between the project who took plays off and wasn't dominant but looked great at the Senior Bowl, or a player that at the very worst is likely going to be a faster Tiki Barber, I know which player I want. Just a hint- it's not who the Texans picked.

Apparently, I missed all his good plays last season, and all of my friends missed them as well. We all saw someone who was erratic. If the Texans weren't sold on Bush, they should trade down. Instead, they've screwed up royally.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: The Texans are dumber than I thought...

Postby Goalie on Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:56 pm

Rocco wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2425818

And the guys at the NFL network said that they reached a deal w/Mario Williams. If I had to choose between the project who took plays off and wasn't dominant but looked great at the Senior Bowl, or a player that at the very worst is likely going to be a faster Tiki Barber, I know which player I want. Just a hint- it's not who the Texans picked.

Apparently, I missed all his good plays last season, and all of my friends missed them as well. We all saw someone who was erratic. If the Texans weren't sold on Bush, they should trade down. Instead, they've screwed up royally.

Wow.

Since the Texans decided to keep David Carr I have been saying that if they passed on Reggie Bush they would regret it forever. I also figured they were smart enough not to do it. Apparently I gave them too much credit for their decision making ability.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:33 pm

I figured if Houston wasn't going to take Reggie Bush, they would slide down to three and take Ferguson or Williams there. I gotta assume New Orleans doesn't need Bush with Deuce at RB and could use an offensive tackle to protect Brees.

I can't believe Houston is this stupid.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Goalie on Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:01 pm

Things are unraveling for Reggie Bush very quickly. PFT is reporting that Bush wanted #30 million guaranteed and the Texans were not interested in that and instead gave $26.5 guaranteed to Mario Williams. PFT is also saying that Bush will refuse to play for New Orleans and "force" a trade even though the Saints are probably looking to trade from the #2 slot anyway.

I also just saw that Joe Schad is reporting that the Bush clan did not pay the $54,000 in rent, previously reported by PFT as well, and that the Bush family also recieved money to finance some of their road trips to USC away games.

Despite what Reggie may or may not have known (Reggie reportedly sent some text messages to Michaels) I get the feeling this was more about parents trying to get benefits from their famous son as opposed to Reggie being the initiator. I could be wrong but that is the feeling I get.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:02 am

Len Pasquarelli may have put it best in his critique of this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/c ... id=2426087

None of this is to suggest that Super Mario will turn into Blooper Mario. Comparisons of Williams to Reggie White, Julius Peppers and Richard Seymour may be hyperbole, but the former North Carolina State star figures to be a terrific player. In time. Certainly he isn't a dominating defender yet, not when he had sacks in just 16 of his 36 appearances for the Wolfpack.

Ten of his 14½ sacks in 2005 came in just three games and against lesser opponents. Half of his six sacks in 2004 came in one outing, although, granted, the opponent was Florida State. But you ask yourself: What was this guy doing the rest of the time? Maybe the Texans, who haven't had many answers for anything else in their first four seasons, actually have one for that query.

Yeah, right.

When you are as a team as bad as the Texans have been, you need to make solid football decisions, and eschewing a playmaker such as Bush, who will have an immediate impact on the league, in favor of a guy still in his gestation period is a dubious call at best. And make no mistake, this was a football decision.

Some interesting comments he makes about the signability factor, too. Apparently, the Texans stopped negotiating with Reggie Bush on Thursday afternoon.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rychster on Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:27 pm

The Texans....the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL :lol:

Stupid decisions regarding personnel and play on the field..

Semi-j/king..no flaming please.
Rychster
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Draftnik on Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:49 pm

This is true stupidity. The talk from the Texans, Saints, etc about how they didn't want this to turn into another Cedric Benson situation is ridiculous. Who gives a crap if the kid misses camp and a few games. Both of these teams suck so bad they have no prayer of making the playoffs no matter who they pick.

Bush could be a dominant player for the next several years and help them make the playoffs in 2 or 3. He isn't Elway or Bo Jackson. He has no leverage to pick up another big paycheck outside of the NFL.

Williams was very inconsistent and got almost half his sacks last season versus injured and inexperienced MD OTs. When we moved our Frosh OT Jared Gaither to Williams side of the field NCSt moved Williams to the opposite side because Gaither blocked him with no problems.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NHR