MCM -- You were right about Randa...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

MCM -- You were right about Randa...

Postby Goalie on Mon May 01, 2006 10:44 pm

Its hard to pick out one poor performer from another for the Pirates this season but Randa definetely is doing his best to stand out from the rest. His defense has not been great and his offense has been downright brutal. Tonight he grounds into a double play to end the game after Craig Wilson had just earned a walk to give the Pirates a little bit of life.

Sanchez needs to be put in the lineup at 3rd base and bat leadoff. Yes, I know he is not a traditional leader hitter by any means than either McClouth or Duffy who are barely hitting for a higher average than Sanchez if you added their two averages together.

Speaking of Duffy with no one out in the 8th inning of a tie game tonight and runners on first and second he could not get a bunt down to get two runners into scoring position.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Mon May 01, 2006 11:39 pm

Greg Brown took a pretty blatant shot at Tracy, Randa and Burnitz tonight in the post-game show. He basically wondered aloud how long Tracy is going to keep standing by some of these veterans when it's clear that they aren't coming around. You could tell he was specifcally angling for the Randa-Sanchez conundrum at 3B, and then he finally came out and pointed the finger at Burnitz and Randa. He also said he thought Tracy has been too loyal & patient with the veteran players this year.

It's about time. This club hasn't scored more than three runs in a game since they beat the Cards 12-4. That was two weeks ago.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Goalie on Tue May 02, 2006 12:34 am

Burnitz is in the lineup by default, he is playing better than anyone who could replace him. Then again having McLouth in RF with Duffy in center would make them a better defensive team so its probably a wash with what they would lose at the plate.

Randa should be nowhere near the lineup right now, he has been terrible but keeps starting game after game. No one should expect change though as Tracy had this qoute the other day about Sanchez, "Maybe he is thriving because of the role he is in".

I must be reading the wrong stats but I was under the assumption a team such as the Pirates should be looking to get at-bats for a guy who is hitting over .330, then again if he was just hitting over .250 he would still deserve to play more than Randa.

Then again simply inserting Sanchez for Randa does not change a whole lot. It does not make them a good team by any stretch but it would make them better. Dejan alluded to the fact that several players in the locker room have taken notice that certain players continue to get time while potentially more deserving players are sitting.

The most interesting decision for me though will be when Doumit is healthy and ready to play. Unless Paulino goes totally into the tank between now and then Cota needs to go back to Indianapolis. Perez may cry because its his "personal catcher" (That situation produces great results, eh? Perez pitched better in the WBC w/o Cota maybe the Pirates should try that) but then again Oliver should probably be pitching to Humberto in Indy anyway.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue May 02, 2006 9:11 am

Stats Geek has a good discussion of Sanchez and Randa in the PG today. There is no logical reason for Randa to be playing. Use him off the bench.

Burnitz is also washed up, and has been for years, but they don't have a reasonable replacement. I cannot justify giving either McLouth or Duffy more ABs right now. They both flat stink. Maybe when Casey comes back, Wilson goes to RF. Or maybe Doumit can play some OF and let Paulino keep catching.

Perez? Why on earth is this guy still in the big leagues? He had one good year his whole career, and now they stick with him as if he's a former Cy Young winner. He belongs in AAA. of course, so does the whole rotation save Duke, but I guess you can't send them all down, egh?
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bowser on Tue May 02, 2006 9:18 am

The Pirates are a disgrace.

When Doumit comes back, he needs to play in right-field. He's done it before, he can do it again. The Pirates need hitters and Doumit is a better hitter than Burnitz right now.

But it won't happen because Burnitz was Littlefield's 'big' free agent.

The same goes for Joe Randa at third base, he'll be forced out there because he's another failed free agent signing by DL.

I'm hoping the Pirates do something soon for CF, Duffy and McLouth suck. I did read Jose Bautista has been playing some centerfield.

The Pirates should do the following...

1. Freddy Sanchez, 3B
2. Jack Wilson, SS
3. Ryan Doumit, RF
4. Jason Bay, LF
5. Craig Wilson, 1B
6. Jose Bautista, CF
7. Ronny Paulino, C
8. Jose Castillo, 2B
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue May 02, 2006 9:22 am

I think that both Duffy and McLouth could benefit from some time in Indy in order to regain some confidence. The problem is that we don't have anyone to play in the OF right now. Once Casey returns, I can see one of them being sent down.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby schreibdog on Tue May 02, 2006 10:12 am

Bowser wrote:When Doumit comes back, he needs to play in right-field. He's done it before, he can do it again. The Pirates need hitters and Doumit is a better hitter than Burnitz right now.

You know, I totally forgot about that. You bring up a great point about putting Doumit in right field. With the way Paulino's been playing both offensively and defensively, it might make sense to try that out.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Tue May 02, 2006 11:13 am

Even when Burnitz and Randa play to their abilities, they are still below average hitters for their respective positions. So is Freddy Sanchez at 3B, but he doesn't cost $4 million. The idea that the Pirates are stronger with Sanchez (and Wilson when Casey is healthy) on the bench is asinine.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MrKnowNothing on Tue May 02, 2006 12:18 pm

The thing is, none of this matters at all. The Pirates are still going to lose and baseball is still going to be a joke no matter what they do.

They should at least humor the fans and play some young players to make it look like a plan besides stealing money from fans is in place.
MrKnowNothing

Postby jdev28 on Tue May 02, 2006 12:39 pm

Bowser wrote:
The Pirates should do the following...

1. Freddy Sanchez, 3B
2. Jack Wilson, SS
3. Ryan Doumit, RF
4. Jason Bay, LF
5. Craig Wilson, 1B
6. Jose Bautista, CF
7. Ronny Paulino, C
8. Jose Castillo, 2B

That lineup is pretty solid. Then when Casey comes back, put him at 1st, C. Wilson in RF, platoon Doumit and Paulino at Catcher.
jdev28
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Tue May 02, 2006 12:46 pm

MrKnowNothing wrote:The thing is, none of this matters at all. The Pirates are still going to lose and baseball is still going to be a joke no matter what they do.

They should at least humor the fans and play some young players to make it look like a plan besides stealing money from fans is in place.

At least when they threw money at junk like Derek Bell, Kevin Young and Pat Meares, there weren't better, cheaper players already on the roster.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PittsburghSportsFan on Tue May 02, 2006 4:11 pm

And we play Sanchez today and he goes 3 for 4 with two RBI's. Keep him in there until his bat cools down. Why bother taking this guy out? It's stupid if you do.
PittsburghSportsFan

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue May 02, 2006 8:34 pm

pfim wrote:
MrKnowNothing wrote:The thing is, none of this matters at all. The Pirates are still going to lose and baseball is still going to be a joke no matter what they do.

At least when they threw money at junk like Derek Bell, Kevin Young and Pat Meares, there weren't better, cheaper players already on the roster.

Yeah, there were. Virtually any borderline AAA/ML SS and RF could have exceeded what Pat Meares and Derek Bell did for far less money. Young was slightly better, but if he's really the best 1B in your organization, it's time to fold up the tent.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to NHR