Stephen Colbert's Presidential Roast

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stephen Colbert's Presidential Roast

Postby Tomas on Tue May 02, 2006 12:32 am

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/ ... ry_id=4791
(The link to youtube.com is inside)

Priceless! :lol:
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue May 02, 2006 10:33 am

I'm not very impressed. There were a couple of humerous parts, but most of it was boring.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PittsburghSportsFan on Tue May 02, 2006 4:10 pm

From what I understand he made a complete *** out of himself.
PittsburghSportsFan

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue May 02, 2006 8:30 pm

PittsburghSportsFan wrote:From what I understand he made a complete *** out of himself.

Spoken like a true Republican. Tell me, from where do you "understand" that? Was it according to Rush, O'Reilly, or Hannitty?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Tue May 02, 2006 9:28 pm

For the record, I'm a registered Republican though I generally lean toward the libertarian view on a lot of things. I think Jon Stewart is funny, but have never really "got" Colbert for whatever reason. I don't hate him or his bit, I just don't think he's funny.

I thought those clips were boring for the most part. I wanted to quit watching after the first few minutes of listening to his jokes being met with little to no applause, but figured if I'm going to comment on it, I should at least watch it all.

The biggest question I had after watching it (other than initially thinking it was some very slick video editing) was that whomever invited him wasn't really aware of who he was or what he's about.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PittsburghSportsFan on Tue May 02, 2006 9:41 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
PittsburghSportsFan wrote:From what I understand he made a complete *** out of himself.

Spoken like a true Republican. Tell me, from where do you "understand" that? Was it according to Rush, O'Reilly, or Hannitty?

Well, If you want to make assumptions like an idiot, be my guest. By no means am I hardcore Republican nor am I far left liberal. I'm more than willing to call this President out for his mistakes. I just simply stated that he made an ass out of himself during his comedy rant. That's the truth. That's all I stated.

Here's an idea, don't jump to conclusions. Please don't ever state what party I support because you have no idea. I would not do it towards you and I frankly don't give a damn. Thanks.
Last edited by PittsburghSportsFan on Wed May 03, 2006 3:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PittsburghSportsFan

Postby jmh470 on Tue May 02, 2006 11:27 pm

That was classic. Most of those jokes went straight over Bush's head.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby plasticbratt on Wed May 03, 2006 4:21 am

That is quite possibly the funniest thing I have ever seen. :lol:
plasticbratt
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NIN on Wed May 03, 2006 8:09 am

I think all of you are missing the point here. Colbert was invited to the dinner because someone actually thought he was serious on his show. Serious meaning, not being overly sarcastic about the president. Serious as in actually supporting the president in his show. The Colbert Report is HEAVILY sarcastic and I find it UN-BE-LEIV-A-BLY funny that nobody knew this would happen ahead of time.

Also, I seriously doubt ANY of it actually registered with President Bush. I am quite certain he thinks those poll numbers are based in reality and we all know he does'nt visit that plane on a regulat basis.
NIN

Postby PittsburghSportsFan on Wed May 03, 2006 9:10 am

Actually, the first lady glarred at Colbert before he even got up and simply nodded her head. They know what he is about. It was a roast and it was expected. Colbert just took it a little far and made an ass out of himself. Personally, I'm not a fan of him but I do like John Stewart.
PittsburghSportsFan

Postby NIN on Wed May 03, 2006 9:19 am

PittsburghSportsFan wrote:made an ass out of himself.

I guess he really does have alot in common with President Bush.

Judging by his reaction, someone will be fired for bringing Colbert there.
NIN

Postby PittsburghSportsFan on Wed May 03, 2006 9:22 am

NIN wrote:Judging by his reaction, someone will be fired for bringing Colbert there.

I wouldn't doubt it. Oh well....lol.
PittsburghSportsFan

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed May 03, 2006 10:01 am

HomerPenguin wrote:

Why would everything have to be according to Rush, O'Reilly, or Hannity? Do you get all of your info from Al Franken, Randi Rhodes or maybe Alec Baldwin?
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Wed May 03, 2006 10:32 am

NIN wrote:I think all of you are missing the point here. Colbert was invited to the dinner because someone actually thought he was serious on his show. Serious meaning, not being overly sarcastic about the president. Serious as in actually supporting the president in his show. The Colbert Report is HEAVILY sarcastic and I find it UN-BE-LEIV-A-BLY funny that nobody knew this would happen ahead of time.

No, not really. The lead speaker at the Correspondants dinner is usually a comedian. Cedric the Entertainer was the lead speaker last year...

There were definitely some pointed barbs there, but overall, I didn't really think it was all that funny. And I enjoy Colbert.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed May 03, 2006 11:14 am

It started off kind of funny but for the most part, it was not all that great. I was pretty bored by the end. The guy is very witty, but this was not one of his better efforts. You coukld tell he was disappointed in how little laughter much of the gig was generating. Of course, the press was roaring at the Bush jokes, but they were stone silent when he turned his guns on them.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ben Klingston on Wed May 03, 2006 12:06 pm

NIN wrote:
PittsburghSportsFan wrote:made an ass out of himself.

I guess he really does have alot in common with President Bush.

Judging by his reaction, someone will be fired for bringing Colbert there.

Why would someone be fired? The administration doesn't organize that dinner nor do they pick who the comedic entertainment is, as I understand it.

I think whoever picked Colbert knew exactly the type of humor he does (i.e. sarcastic), and they picked him because of that. I think the unexpected part came by how stinging some of his sarcasm was. In other words, I think whoever picked him figured he'd tone his act down a bit, what with the Prez 5 feet away and all. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your view, he didn't tone it down at all.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed May 03, 2006 2:53 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:

Why would everything have to be according to Rush, O'Reilly, or Hannity? Do you get all of your info from Al Franken, Randi Rhodes or maybe Alec Baldwin?

No, I'm a liberal. I do most of my thinking for myself.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed May 03, 2006 4:09 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:

Great, I look forward to reading more of your "progressive" opinions. And debating them.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PittsburghSportsFan on Wed May 03, 2006 4:30 pm

Good luck.
PittsburghSportsFan

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed May 03, 2006 5:03 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:

Great, I look forward to reading more of your "progressive" opinions. And debating them.

You criticized something you hadn't seen based on what you "understood," obviously from someplace else. That's a pretty common thing for rightie sheep. I just wanted to know from which wingnut svengali you take your opinions about things that you haven't seen for yourself.

This isn't a political forum, and for me to waste my time "debating" you would imply that I cared to "persuade" you or "win" the debate. I don't. If I write something that you feel obliged to comment on, great. But don't expect me to engage in blowhard argument just for the sake of argument.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed May 03, 2006 5:28 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:

You criticized something you hadn't seen based on what you "understood," obviously from someplace else. That's a pretty common thing for rightie sheep. I just wanted to know from which wingnut svengali you take your opinions about things that you haven't seen for yourself.

This isn't a political forum, and for me to waste my time "debating" you would imply that I cared to "persuade" you or "win" the debate. I don't. If I write something that you feel obliged to comment on, great. But don't expect me to engage in blowhard argument just for the sake of argument.

You have your people mixed up. I never criticized anything or anyone.

About "rightie sheep", you think there isnt leftie sheep as well? Moot point.

If you do not want to debate then fine. But this is a forum, and that's what people do. We all add our opinions. I wasnt trying to call you out, I just thought it would be interesting, because I like independent thinkers. But hey, forget I mentioned it.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PittsburghSportsFan on Wed May 03, 2006 5:58 pm

I was the one that stated Colbert made an ass out of himself. Meaning the room got completely quiet when he went overboard and the laughs went silent. That's all I stated and it is the truth. It wasn't meant to be a jab of any sort at a specific party.

Then, I had "somebody" to put it mildly, who has no idea what party I prefer, state that I'm a hardcore Republican. At times I have to wonder how some people manage to get through life with the conversation skills that could match a two year old. Unbelievable. :roll:
Last edited by PittsburghSportsFan on Wed May 03, 2006 6:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
PittsburghSportsFan

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed May 03, 2006 6:00 pm

PittsburghSportsFan wrote:I was the one that stated Colbert made an ass out of himself. Meaning the room got completely quiet when he went overboard and the laughs went silent. That's all I stated.

Then, I had "somebody" to put it mildly, who has no idea what party I prefer state that I'm a hardcore Republican.

Sorry, I got my wingnuts confused. Carry on then.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PittsburghSportsFan on Wed May 03, 2006 6:04 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
PittsburghSportsFan wrote:I was the one that stated Colbert made an ass out of himself. Meaning the room got completely quiet when he went overboard and the laughs went silent. That's all I stated.

Then, I had "somebody" to put it mildly, who has no idea what party I prefer state that I'm a hardcore Republican.

Sorry, I got my wingnuts confused. Carry on then.

Ok buddy...lol. :roll:
PittsburghSportsFan

Postby HomerPenguin on Thu May 04, 2006 2:57 pm

PittsburghSportsFan wrote:I was the one that stated Colbert made an ass out of himself. Meaning the room got completely quiet when he went overboard and the laughs went silent. That's all I stated and it is the truth. It wasn't meant to be a jab of any sort at a specific party.

Then, I had "somebody" to put it mildly, who has no idea what party I prefer, state that I'm a hardcore Republican. At times I have to wonder how some people manage to get through life with the conversation skills that could match a two year old. Unbelievable. :roll:

You didn't see the event but you felt as though you could comment on it based on what you "understood" other people had said about it. Plus you really probably missed the point of the whole thing; you assume his primary goal was getting laughs (so that when he didn't get any he "made an ass of himself"), which isn't at all clear to me from watching the performance. So, my conclusion is that if you're not already a wingnut, you're certainly in training for the position.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to NHR